From: Friedrich Romstedt <friedrichromstedt@gmail.com>
To: Russell VT <russellvt@gmail.com>
Cc: cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: virtualenv 20.2.2-1 dependencies: filelock and distlib
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:38:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Am Di., 10. Aug. 2021 um 11:30 Uhr schrieb Russell VT <russellvt@gmail.com>:

> Well, it's been a hot minute since I've used virtualenv, by itself... but, generally you're going to want to use "mkvirtualenv" and related tools to create and then access your Python libraries (often under the projects 'venv' directory).Your mileage may vary, trying to invoke it directly from the command line with a module argument.

'mkvirtualenv' is part of the 'virtualenvwrapper' package.
https://virtualenvwrapper.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ says
"virtualenvwrapper is a set of extensions to Ian Bicking’s virtualenv
tool."

> Myself, I tend to like to distance my Python environments from the Operating System version(s)... and I use pyenv with pyenv-virtualenv, and then provided I have a decent compiler environment, you can install Python from distribution (though, full disclosure and in all fairness, I've had a few issues with non-standard directory locations for things like ffi/cffi (IIRC), when compiling newer Python versions (though I've not checked, recently).

'pyenv-virtualenv' (https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv-virtualenv) says
"pyenv-virtualenv is a pyenv plugin that provides features to manage
virtualenvs and conda environments for Python on UNIX-like systems.",
so it looks like if 'pyenv-virtualenv' is *another wrapper more* for
'virtualenv'.

I appreciate this two approaches to making 'virtualenv' more easily
accessible; I did not know about these before.  However, my issue
reported on 9 August 2021 about the basic 'virtualenv' package
('python38-virtualenv' and related in the Cygwin package database)
would not be remedied by using 'virtualenenvwrapper' or
'pyenv-virtualenv'; even more, these pieces of software would suffer
from the same regressions as my direct use of 'virtualenv'.

Notice that as far as I know running '$ python -m virtualenv <....>'
should be, in effect, identical to running '$ virtualenv <...>' with
the same arguments.  The former is useful when, as in my case, the
'virtualenv' script is not as easily accessible as the Python
interpreter 'python'.

I am proposing to just include the dependency of the 'virtualenv'
Cygwin package resp. packages on the Cygwin packages for 'filelock'
and 'distlib'.  I believe this issue hasn't been reported yet because
the Cygwin packages for 'filelock' and 'distlib' easily can be pulled
in by other pieces of software.

So far,
Friedrich