* Issues to install cygwin 3.3.6
@ 2022-11-21 14:18 Michel Robitaille
From: Michel Robitaille @ 2022-11-21 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Running setup-x86_64.exe (version 3.3.6) requires an app on Windows 11 (fully up to date).
It is looking for an app that does not exist with Microsoft Store.

This was not required for any of the previous version.

Is there a solution to fix this?
For now I am using the previous version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Michel

* Re: Issues to install cygwin 3.3.6
@ 2022-11-21 16:03 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-11-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 14:19, Michel Robitaille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Running setup-x86_64.exe (version 3.3.6) requires an app on Windows 11 (fully up to date).
> It is looking for an app that does not exist with Microsoft Store.
>
> This was not required for any of the previous version.
>
> Is there a solution to fix this?
> For now I am using the previous version.

I'm not seeing any problems using the latest installer, and I can't
imagine why the installer would try to direct you to the Microsoft
Store for any reason, let alone for an app that doesn't exist.

Can you please provide some more information about exactly what you're
doing and exactly what behaviour you're seeing?

There's also a lot of guidance on useful information to include in
problem reports at https://cygwin.com/problems.html.

* Re: Issues to install cygwin 3.3.6
@ 2022-11-21 18:18   ` Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2022-11-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/21/22 08:03, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 14:19, Michel Robitaille wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Running setup-x86_64.exe (version 3.3.6) requires an app on Windows 11 (fully up to date).
>> It is looking for an app that does not exist with Microsoft Store.
>>
>> This was not required for any of the previous version.
>>
>> Is there a solution to fix this?
>> For now I am using the previous version.
>
> I'm not seeing any problems using the latest installer, and I can't
> imagine why the installer would try to direct you to the Microsoft
> Store for any reason, let alone for an app that doesn't exist.
>
> Can you please provide some more information about exactly what you're
> doing and exactly what behaviour you're seeing?
>
> There's also a lot of guidance on useful information to include in
> problem reports at https://cygwin.com/problems.html.

I just tried the new setup and see what I think is the same thing,
but the original description was munged by non-native English.

I believe this is the "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" warning.  It
pops up a blue window saying

Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from
starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.  More info.

The only button on this popup says "Don't run".  However, if you
click "More Info", which is underlined, you get additional info

App:       setup-x86_64.exe
Publisher: Unknown publisher

and another button "Run anyway", which allows setup-x86_64 to run.

--
Jim Garrison
jhg@acm.org

* Re: Issues to install cygwin 3.3.6
@ 2022-11-21 18:54     ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-11-21 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 18:20, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:

> On 11/21/22 08:03, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 14:19, Michel Robitaille wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Running setup-x86_64.exe (version 3.3.6) requires an app on Windows 11 (fully up to date).
> >> It is looking for an app that does not exist with Microsoft Store.
> >>
> >> This was not required for any of the previous version.
> >>
> >> Is there a solution to fix this?
> >> For now I am using the previous version.
> >
> > I'm not seeing any problems using the latest installer, and I can't
> > imagine why the installer would try to direct you to the Microsoft
> > Store for any reason, let alone for an app that doesn't exist.
> >
> > Can you please provide some more information about exactly what you're
> > doing and exactly what behaviour you're seeing?
> >
> > There's also a lot of guidance on useful information to include in
> > problem reports at https://cygwin.com/problems.html.
> >

> I just tried the new setup and see what I think is the same thing,
> but the original description was munged by non-native English.
>
> I believe this is the "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" warning.  It
> pops up a blue window saying
>
> Windows protected your PC
> Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from
> starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.  More info.
>
> The only button on this popup says "Don't run".  However, if you
> click "More Info", which is underlined, you get additional info
>
> App:       setup-x86_64.exe
> Publisher: Unknown publisher
>
> and another button "Run anyway", which allows setup-x86_64 to run.

Ah, that's unfortunate but normal: SmartScreen learns what's safe to
run in part based on what other folk have downloaded and run without
issue. When there's a new installer released, it inherently hasn't
been downloaded and run by many people yet, so SmartScreen warns about
that.

I *think* you can at least reduce the likelihood of getting those
warnings by signing the installer, but see, e.g.,
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-November/252521.html for the
problems with that. Otherwise, the only way to avoid that warning
AFAIK is to wait until a bunch of other people have downloaded the
installer and SmartScreen has learned it's probably safe.

(Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft these days, but neither Cygwin nor
SmartScreen are anywhere near my day job; I have no inside knowledge
or influence.)

* Re: Issues to install cygwin 3.3.6
@ 2022-11-21 22:43 ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2022-11-21 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)