From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin-64 on W10-64 : the only game in town?
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 10:20:20 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 04:02, Duncan Roe <duncan_roe@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 08:49:23AM +0000, cygwin wrote:
> > With W7 no longer supported, W10-32 supported but no longer provided on
> > new machines (Microsoft states that, "Beginning with Windows 10, version
> > 2004, all new Windows 10 systems will be required to use 64-bit builds
> > and Microsoft will no longer release 32-bit builds for OEM distribution
> > .. the weaker version of Windows 10 has several limitations, like
> > capping out at 3.2GB of RAM and less stringent security measures") and
> > the functionality of Cygwin-32 significantly downplayed on Cygwin's own
> > Home page, that really does leave Cygwin-64 on W10-64 on 64-bit hardware
> > as the sole recommended platform. Yes?
> >
> > --
> No, I run Cygwin64 on Win 7. There is an outstanding W7 update, it
> appeared a
> few weeks ago, but I'm not taking it.

The question is nuanced around "what is the recommended platform". Now as
individuals we can recommend anything we want if it works for us.. but we
also aren't expecting to answer all of Fergus's questions when he tries to
get Cygwin working on his system. I think in the end, for the project, the
recommendation would be whatever Corinna recommends as she is the primary
author of the code these days and the one who would be fixing problems
found.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.