* Building cross toolchain on cygwin from source
@ 2015-09-29 12:20 Hari Narasimhan H.N
From: Hari Narasimhan H.N @ 2015-09-29 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

We have a requirement to build a GCC cross toolchain for Xtensa
architecture for a cygwin host from source. So far we have not been
successful building even a native toolchain.

Please let us know if such a thing is supported on cygwin or workarounds if any.

Thanks and Regards,
Hari

* Re: Building cross toolchain on cygwin from source
@ 2015-09-29 22:03 ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2015-09-29 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Hari Narasimhan H.N wrote:

> We have a requirement to build a GCC cross toolchain for Xtensa
> architecture for a cygwin host from source. So far we have not been
> successful building even a native toolchain.
>
> Please let us know if such a thing is supported on cygwin or workarounds if any.

I have done this for ARM with no difficulty. It did not appear any
different from doing the task on Linux. So what were the problems you
ran into?

* Re: Building cross toolchain on cygwin from source
@ 2015-09-30  5:06   ` Hari Narasimhan H.N
From: Hari Narasimhan H.N @ 2015-09-30  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am using a crosstool-NG system. During configuration of GMP it
throws the following error

"could not find a working compiler"

whereas I have gcc4.9.3 installed and working.

I cant attach logs here at work but can paste it inline if you like.

Thanks and Regards,
Hari

@ 2015-09-30  6:46     ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2015-09-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Hari Narasimhan H.N  wrote:

> I am using a crosstool-NG system. During configuration of GMP it
> throws the following error
>
> "could not find a working compiler"
>
> whereas I have gcc4.9.3 installed and working.

You should be able to tell from config.log what GMP's configure tried
to use as the compiler. GCC is capable of being compiled with an old
compiler and that applies equally to creating a native compiler or a
cross compiler.

My best guess is that this problem is not a Cygwin problem. I have had
that same error message from configure scripts run under Linux,
attempting to cross-compile various open-source libraries, and it
comes down to some over-looked detail in the configure arguments that
impact how the script finds the compiler to use. Possibly a good
question for Stack Overflow.