* Unable to delete Cygwin from PATH environment variable
@ 2017-03-23 21:27 Tanya Sandoval
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tanya Sandoval @ 2017-03-23 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I recently had to reinstall Cygwin and in doing so, I have ran into a
problem with some application because Cygwin seems to be appended to
my PATH environment variable. I have tried to remove this by following
these instructions https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml but
something strange happens. If I look at the value of Path under
'Environment Variables', Cygwin is not there; however if I type PATH
in cmd.exe, I see Cygwin gets appended at the end of the PATH. Can you
please help me to know to remove Cygwin from the PATH?

As an example, this is what I see in the Environmental Variables
window Path value:

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program
Files\Intel\iCLS
Client\;c:\Oracle\11g_R2_x64\Administrator\11.2.0\client_1\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;%systemroot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program
Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine
Components\IPT;%systemroot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Apps\Anaconda3;C:\Apps\Anaconda3\Scripts;C:\Apps\Anaconda3\Library\bin

And this is what I see in cdm.exe:

>PATH
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program
Files\Intel\iCLS Clien
t\;c:\Oracle\11g_R2_x64\Administrator\11.2.0\client_1\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\
Java\javapath;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS
\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:
\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Int
el(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Man agement Engine
Components\IPT;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\App
s\Anaconda3;C:\Apps\Anaconda3\Scripts;C:\Apps\Anaconda3\Library\bin;C:\blp\DAPI;
C:\blp\DAPI\DDE;C:\Apps\cygwin64\bin

As you can see, I have Cygwin in the second case, whereas I don't have
it on the first case.

Many thanks for your help!

Best,
Tanya

* Re: Unable to delete Cygwin from PATH environment variable
@ 2017-03-23 22:54 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2017-03-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/23/2017 3:10 PM, Tanya Sandoval wrote:

> I recently had to reinstall Cygwin and in doing so, I have ran into a
> problem with some application because Cygwin seems to be appended to
> my PATH environment variable. I have tried to remove this by following
> these instructions https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml but
> something strange happens. If I look at the value of Path under
> 'Environment Variables', Cygwin is not there; however if I type PATH
> in cmd.exe, I see Cygwin gets appended at the end of the PATH. Can you
> please help me to know to remove Cygwin from the PATH?

If you mean PATH in a terminal, then you, or the terminal program
(mintty perhaps) are running a shell (bash).  If you did not mean in a
terminal, then also look at the user's environment vars (there are 2
sets: global, and local).

The shell, depending on the parameters which it was invoked with,
usually runs one of its configuration files (bash runs either .bashrc,
or .bash_profile, also /etc/profile), which usually is what sets the
environment you see inside the terminal+shell.

You can direct the shell not to read config files (bash --noprofile
--norc), or change all the possible config files, which is much more
involved, and affect every invocation of the shell... which is not what
you probably want.

Hope this helps.
--
R. Berber

* Re: Unable to delete Cygwin from PATH environment variable
@ 2017-03-23 23:18 ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2017-03-23 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Tanya Sandoval
<sandoval.tanya2@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently had to reinstall Cygwin and in doing so, I have ran into a
> problem with some application because Cygwin seems to be appended to
> my PATH environment variable. I have tried to remove this by following
> these instructions https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml but
> something strange happens. If I look at the value of Path under
> 'Environment Variables', Cygwin is not there; however if I type PATH
> in cmd.exe, I see Cygwin gets appended at the end of the PATH. Can you
> please help me to know to remove Cygwin from the PATH?

There are two places to add environment variables:
the System Variables and the User Variables.
See https://www.copsmodels.com/gpsetenv.htm
for screenshots.
Did you check both?  (Also, it's possible the list
might need scrolling to see the end.)

Also, changes only show up when you start a new cmd.exe,
maybe you were looking at a cmd.exe window that had
been started before the change.
- Dan

* Re: Unable to delete Cygwin from PATH environment variable
@ 2017-03-25 11:30 ` Tanya Sandoval
From: Tanya Sandoval @ 2017-03-25 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for your help - your solution worked! Indeed I had cygwin added
to my user's path and not my system's path, and I was looking for it
in the system's path.

Best,
Tanya

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Tanya Sandoval