* why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-03 19:20 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

As long as I've been using Cygwin, there's been no gpg-agent packaged with
gnupg.  I've always assumed this is for some good reason, like the insecure
memory warning I get when I enter a passphrase.  But I don't exactly know,
and I can't find any information about it.

So, why isn't there a gpg-agent for Cygwin?  Any hope of having one some
day?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-04 10:03 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-09-04 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 03:20:45PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> So, why isn't there a gpg-agent for Cygwin?  Any hope of having one some
> day?

I suspect simply because nobody has packaged one, and somebody has to do
the work to make it available.  I doubt anyone would object to you
submitting an Intent To Package per https://cygwin.com/setup.html.

* Re: why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-04 10:32   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-04 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 03:20:45PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > So, why isn't there a gpg-agent for Cygwin?  Any hope of having one some
> > day?
>
> I suspect simply because nobody has packaged one, and somebody has to do
> the work to make it available.  I doubt anyone would object to you
> submitting an Intent To Package per https://cygwin.com/setup.html.

If that's the only reason, I could certainly look at packaging it.  I guess I'd
like to hear from Marco first though, the gnupg maintainer, to tell us if there
isn't some other reason.

* Re: why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-04 10:52     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-09-04 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/09/2015 12:31, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 03:20:45PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> So, why isn't there a gpg-agent for Cygwin?  Any hope of having one some
>>> day?
>>
>> I suspect simply because nobody has packaged one, and somebody has to do
>> the work to make it available.  I doubt anyone would object to you
>> submitting an Intent To Package per https://cygwin.com/setup.html.
>
> If that's the only reason, I could certainly look at packaging it.  I guess I'd
> like to hear from Marco first though, the gnupg maintainer, to tell us if there
> isn't some other reason.

for what I know gpg-agent belongs to GnuPG > 2.0
while we have only the classic gnupg-1.4.19

If I remember right GnuPG > 2.0 requires memory protection
features that do not exist on cygwin.
But I could be wrong.

Regards
Marco

* Re: why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-04 17:08 ` Darik Horn
From: Darik Horn @ 2015-09-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epa.gov> wrote:

> So, why isn't there a gpg-agent for Cygwin?

Pageant does the same thing as gpg-agent, but works on both sides of
the Cygwin environment.

Install the ssh-pageant package through setup.exe and put something
like this into the default shell configuration:

  # .bashrc
  eval $(ssh-pageant -ra /tmp/.ssh-pageant)

* Re: why no gpg-agent for Cygwin?
@ 2015-09-04 17:13   ` Darik Horn
From: Darik Horn @ 2015-09-04 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Darik Horn <dajhorn@vanadac.com> wrote:

> Pageant does the same thing as gpg-agent, but works on both sides of
> the Cygwin environment.

Oops, GPG:  This suggestion won't work in something that looks like a
normal Cygwin environment.