* Re: gcc segfaults compiling python extensions
@ 2017-08-23 19:38 Joachim Metz
From: Joachim Metz @ 2017-08-23 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

> Was there a stackdump file you could have attached?  What happens if you
> remove the -O3 and -O2 for that matter. I find it interesting that
> you're using a 32bit Cygwin on a server that only executes on a 64bit
> CPU.  Does this happen with 64bit Cygwin?  No, then use it instead.

So this does not happen on 64-bit Cygwin. I use both this is part of
CI testing I want to have the code compile on both, or skip the test
scenario.

> So some anomaly in Windows itself was resolved.  Should we really worry
> about such an issue in Cygwin?  Only if Cygwin is using some API that is
> only available in Windows Server 2016 is my POV.

Recent similar failures have me think the issue is still there even on
newer versions of Windows.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/joachimmetz/libfwsi/build/job/ljhihmejb6xfyaqe

> You could try debugging the failures.  Follow the gcc issue with an
> strace of the processes.  Attach the stackdump file if one was created, etc.

Seeing the issue seems to be still there, when time permits, I'll see
what information I can collect regarding this issue and update this
thread.

* gcc segfaults compiling python extensions
@ 2017-08-18  5:21 Joachim Metz
From: Joachim Metz @ 2017-08-18  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello CygWin maintainers,

I want to report an observation, which might help address a bug.

This issue has been reported in the past in:

I recently ran into the same issue:

On AppVeyor [https://ci.appveyor.com/] running Windows Server 2012 R2
With the latest available cygwin 32-bit
[https://github.com/libyal/libfwnt/blob/master/appveyor.yml#L39]

building a Python module for CygWin python (no Windows Python) causes
gcc to SIGSEGV (11)

gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -ggdb -O2 -pipe
-Wimplicit-function-declaration
-fdebug-prefix-map=/usr/src/ports/python2/python2-2.7.13-1.i686/build=/usr/src/debug/python2-2.7.13-1
-fdebug-prefix-map=/usr/src/ports/python2/python2-2.7.13-1.i686/src/Python-2.7.13=/usr/src/debug/python2-2.7.13-1
-DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=
-DLOCALEDIR="/usr/share/locale" -Iinclude -Icommon -Ilibcerror
-Ilibcthreads -Ilibcdata -Ilibcnotify -Ilibfwnt
-I/usr/include/python2.7 -c libcerror/libcerror_error.c -o
build/temp.cygwin-2.8.2-i686-2.7/libcerror/libcerror_error.o
error: command 'gcc' terminated by signal 11
Running: 'setup.py build' failed

Also see: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/joachimmetz/libfwnt/build/79/job/l1gqocdqoafax0k7

As per: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-10/msg00552.html I switched
to Windows Server 2016 and this indeed does not show the same issue.

I've been tracking this in: https://github.com/libyal/libyal/issues/34

Hope to have sufficiently informed you.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,
Joachim