* RE: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-11  5:44 Tackett, Galen
From: Tackett, Galen @ 2002-09-11  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

cgf wrote:

> So, like all great ideas, all that it needs is an actual patch to make it
happen.

Yep, just like interstellar travel, time machines, and toasters that always
get the bread just right on the first try.

(Sorry... I just couldn't resist a little sillines.)

From: Jim @ 2002-09-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-apps

> Hi,

> > So, like all great ideas, all that it needs is an actual patch to make
> > it happen.

Uhh - what about just /windows/hosts (for those that are non NT based) ?

> Ok, I will have a go at this. As it involves mods to the setup program,
I'm
> going to move the discussion to cygwin-apps.
>
> Paul

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <E17oTbC-0001AV-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2002-09-10 13:54 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2002-09-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

news@garydjones.mailshell.com wrote:
> On 09 Sep 2002, Paul Johnston <paj@pajhome.org.uk> wrote:
>
>  Depending on your setup though,
> editing a file in your favourite Cygwin based editor might give
> you an odd looking file in the end (some lines with DOS-endings
> and some with *n*x-endings).

Vim is smart enough to detect what kind of text file you have and set
its editing mode to match.  Any other editor worth using behaves the
same way, but that's just a tautology.  :)

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
       [not found] ` <E17oTbC-0001AV-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2002-09-10  9:52   ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2002-09-10  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

news@garydjones.mailshell.com wrote:

> [...] (some lines with DOS-endings and some with *n*x-endings).
 > I doubt Cygwin would have a problem with that, but I don't
 > really want to test what Windows would do.

Doesn't seem to faze Windows XP, anyway. I converted the file to unix
line endings and threw in a few ^Ms here and there. Worked fine.

Can't answer for old stacks like Win95 and Win98, but I suspect they
would also be able to handle this..
--
Shankar.

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-10  2:19     ` Paul Johnston
From: Paul Johnston @ 2002-09-10  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-apps

Hi,

@ 2002-09-09 11:25 ` news
       [not found] ` <E17oTbC-0001AV-00@quimby.gnus.org>
From: news @ 2002-09-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09 Sep 2002, Paul Johnston <paj@pajhome.org.uk> wrote:

> I think the cygwin
> install should create this symbolic link:
>
> /etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

I like the idea in principle. Depending on your setup though,
editing a file in your favourite Cygwin based editor might give
you an odd looking file in the end (some lines with DOS-endings
and some with *n*x-endings). I doubt Cygwin would have a problem

@ 2002-09-09 10:46 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-09-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:35:15AM -0400, Zieg, Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:48:07AM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
> >Paul Johnston wrote:
> >
> >>NT has an equivalent to /etc/hosts, so I think the cygwin install should
> >>create this symbolic link:
> >>
> >>/etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
> >
> >This is a great idea, making allowances for variations in the different
> >versions of Windows, of course.
>
> Remember that corporate NT users often don't have admin rights to their own
> boxes, and thus cannot edit /WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (this is my
> own sad state of affairs).
>
> Thus, if such a symlink is created, please note in the documentation that
> some users will have to delete the link and manually create their own
> /etc/hosts file in order to restore original Cygwin functionality.

Huh?  The /etc/hosts file isn't used at all by Cygwin.  It uses the
same system provided files on all systems (9x/NT) as Winsock does.

If any application in the Cygwin net distro is *explicitely* accessing
/etc/{hosts,network,protocol,services} files, they have to be fixed.

Note that all applications using just the usual network function for
accessing these files are on the safe side.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-09  8:49 Zieg, Mark
From: Zieg, Mark @ 2002-09-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2002-09-09  7:32   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-09  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:48:07AM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
>Paul Johnston wrote:
>
>>NT has an equivalent to /etc/hosts, so I think the cygwin install should
>>create this symbolic link:
>>
>>/etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
>
>This is a great idea, making allowances for variations in the different
>versions of Windows, of course.

So, like all great ideas, all that it needs is an actual patch to make
it happen.

cgf

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-09  6:51 ` Joe Buehler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-09-09  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Paul Johnston wrote:

> NT has an equivalent to /etc/hosts, so I think the cygwin install should
> create this symbolic link:
>
> /etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

This is a great idea, making allowances for variations in the different
versions of Windows, of course.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-09  5:40   ` Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago
From: Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago @ 2002-09-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms; +Cc: Paul Johnston, cygwin

     > --- Paul Johnston <paj@pajhome.org.uk> wrote:
     > > Hi,
     > >
     > > NT has an equivalent to /etc/hosts, so I think the cygwin install
     > > should
     > > create this symbolic link:
     > >
     > > /etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
     > >
     > > In fact, you could do this to a few other files in that directory,
     > > like
     > > services and protocols. hosts is the only one I commonly edit
     > > though.
     > >
     > The problem is that location isn't the right place on Win9X/ME, so it
     > ends up setting things wrong for those users.

Well, anyway, does cygwin internal scripts know whether the OS is a
Windows NT/98/ME/2K/XP? If so that's not a problem. I guess cygwin knows
it and therefore could be achieved (if needed).

Cheers,
m4c.

* Re: Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-09  5:38 ` Nicholas Wourms
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-09-09  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Johnston, cygwin

--- Paul Johnston <paj@pajhome.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> NT has an equivalent to /etc/hosts, so I think the cygwin install
> should
> create this symbolic link:
>
> /etc/hosts -> ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
>
> In fact, you could do this to a few other files in that directory,
> like
> services and protocols. hosts is the only one I commonly edit
> though.

The problem is that location isn't the right place on Win9X/ME, so it
ends up setting things wrong for those users.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Suggestion: /etc/hosts
@ 2002-09-09  2:45 Paul Johnston