* cygwin/X: can't start X server...
@ 2012-07-13 16:03 ping
From: ping @ 2012-07-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

guys:

please let me know if this is the off-topic for cygwin list.

originally right after I installed cygwin, I had impression (I could
remember wrong)
I ever be able to start x server and run the rxvt.

today I just couldn't get it work.

I tried from windows "start"->"all program"->...
nothing happen.

and from CLI:

[ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ startxwin.exe

startxwin: unable to run server "X": No such file or directory
Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display.  Possible server names include:

     XWin        X Server for the Cygwin environment on Microsoft Windows

startxwin: giving up
startxwin: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
startxwin: server error

the only thing I did could be that I just installed cygwinport, but I don't
think that will cause any issues to my cygwin, cygwin/X apps...

please advice how to troubleshoot this kind of issue.

thanks.

regards
ping

* RE: cygwin/X: can't start X server...
@ 2012-07-13 16:13 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2012-07-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ping wrote:
>please let me know if this is the off-topic for cygwin list.

From the very first bullet under "cygwin" at http://cygwin.com/lists.html:

"Questions about the Cygwin/X project (or any X-related questions for Cygwin)
should go to the cygwin-xfree mailing list"