* Strange link /bin/rungs in 32-bit Cygwin
@ 2023-03-23 13:10 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2023-03-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Maybe of diminishing interest (32-bit Cygwin) - but:
Out of nowhere (but see below (*)) a link has occurred
/bin/rungs -> /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.tlu
which is, I think, a typo for /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.lua
Can anybody confirm?
(*) Weird. For no particular reason other than for OC fun I ran the 32-bit setup command
setup-x86-2.924.exe --allow-unsupported-windows
    --site http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457
(all on one line) on an EXISTING setup (with, as anticipated, no obvious change to the entire
resource and, in particular, no change to the timestamp 1669214097 i.e. almost exactly
17 weeks ago when Cygwin-32 was archived.
Either (1) this error (if it is one) has been there all the time or (2) has been recently introduced.
(1) would be odd because of the recently mentioned OCD and (2) would be odd because it raises
questions How? and Why?
Notwithstanding the diminishing relevance any enlightenment would be interesting and welcome.

* Re: Strange link /bin/rungs in 32-bit Cygwin
@ 2023-03-23 13:47 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/23/2023 9:10 AM, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Maybe of diminishing interest (32-bit Cygwin) - but:
> Out of nowhere (but see below (*)) a link has occurred
> /bin/rungs -> /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.tlu
> which is, I think, a typo for /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.lua
> Can anybody confirm?

The symlink and script come from texlive-collection-basic.  In current
TeX Live on 64-bit Cygwin, the link does indeed point to rungs.lua.  But
I think the .tlu extension is used for texlua scripts, so what you're
seeing might not be a typo.  I'd have to look back at last year's
texlive-collection-basic to be sure, but you can do that more easily
than I can, since you already have a system with last year's
texlive-collection-basic.

Ken

* RE: Strange link /bin/rungs in 32-bit Cygwin
@ 2023-03-25 15:10 ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2023-03-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly, kbrown

>> Maybe of diminishing interest (32-bit Cygwin) - but:
>> Out of nowhere (but see below (*)) a link has occurred
>> /bin/rungs -> /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.tlu
>> which is, I think, a typo for /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/rungs.lua
>> Can anybody confirm?

> The symlink and script come from texlive-collection-basic.  In current
> TeX Live on 64-bit Cygwin, the link does indeed point to rungs.lua.  But
> I think the .tlu extension is used for texlua scripts, so what you're
> seeing might not be a typo.  I'd have to look back at last year's
> texlive-collection-basic to be sure, but you can do that more easily
> than I can, since you already have a system with last year's
> texlive-collection-basic.

You are right. The provision is right though different:
Cygwin32: texlive-collection-basic-20220321-1
Cygwin64: texlive-collection-basic-20230313-2
Both setup.ini files are right and so is their enactment.
Actually both my platforms were correctly configured with
correct links too.
My housekeeping, or rather my interpretation of housekeeping
reports, was faulty.
Sorry for wasted time.