* gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-08 23:16 Jannick
From: Jannick @ 2017-08-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear All,

the current version 4.1.4 of gawk appears to unpleasantly treat CR for CRLF
files, i.e. CR is not gracefully swallowed, but is a separate character.

This makes some, if not all, of the scripts we are working with here
useless, unless the input files are converted to LF which certainly is not
feasible. IIRC the issue did not show up some versions back.

Is this a bug - or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
J. - living on Win10

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-08 23:23 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 01:15:08, "Jannick" wrote:
> the current version 4.1.4 of gawk appears to unpleasantly treat CR for CRLF
> files, i.e. CR is not gracefully swallowed, but is a separate character.
>
> This makes some, if not all, of the scripts we are working with here
> useless, unless the input files are converted to LF which certainly is not
> feasible. IIRC the issue did not show up some versions back.
>
> Is this a bug - or am I missing something here?

Learn to read:

* RE: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-09  0:49   ` Jannick
From: Jannick @ 2017-08-09  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 16:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 01:15:08, "Jannick" wrote:
> > the current version 4.1.4 of gawk appears to unpleasantly treat CR for
> > CRLF files, i.e. CR is not gracefully swallowed, but is a separate
character.

> > This makes some, if not all, of the scripts we are working with here
> > useless, unless the input files are converted to LF which certainly is
> > not feasible. IIRC the issue did not show up some versions back.
> >
> > Is this a bug - or am I missing something here?
>
> Learn to read:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00033.html

Thanks - quickly done.

The link reveals that CRLF/LF conversion is now mandatory to work with
cygwin's gawk on DOS machines. As far as I can see there is no legacy
solution like for, e.g., sed (-b switch) to have an easy solution for the
issue, especially when invoking gawk from makefiles (piping).

I consider this bad news while admittedly not fully understanding the whole
background of the move which is not necessary for now.

* AW: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-09  7:03     ` Roger Krebs
From: Roger Krebs @ 2017-08-09  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've added a BEGIN section at the beginning awk sript file setting the record separator explicitly for the input file (RS) as well as for the output file (ORS):

BEGIN {
        RS="\r\n"
        ORS="\r\n"
}
{
   ... your script
}

Especially the RS parameter wasn't necessary in the past but now it is.

It works in all my cases. The only disadvantage: you have to know what kind of files you want to handle in the awk script. The same awk script will not work for DOS files as well as for linux files.

Best

Roger

@ 2017-08-09  8:38       ` Jannick
From: Jannick @ 2017-08-09  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roger Krebs', cygwin

Hi Roger,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 07:03:24 +0000, Roger Krebs wrote:
> I've added a BEGIN section at the beginning awk sript file setting the
record
> separator explicitly for the input file (RS) as well as for the output
file (ORS):

> BEGIN {
>         RS="\r\n"
>         ORS="\r\n"
> }
> {
>    ... your script
> }
>
> Especially the RS parameter wasn't necessary in the past but now it is.

Which is a pretty much of a pain when there is no easy fallback solution
provided in case a major change is applied. E.g. for sed - if I understand
the reference to sed in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00033.html
correctly - a separate switch '-b' is added. For the latest gawk version I
cannot see anything like that which means that all of our awk scripts run
against cygwin's gawk do break without any tweak unless I am missing
anything here.

This is - to say the least - unpleasant in the light of what Cygwin claims
to be, namely 'a large collection of GNU and Open Source tools which provide
functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows' (from the top of
the start website www.cygwin.com). Again, admittedly I did not dive into the
discussion and the substance of the reasoning to make this move to gawk |
sed | grep.

Now I can see the following *easy* solutions to the very situation here
(input only for now):

1 - Inserting the BEGIN section as you suggested into more than 1k scripts
(not feasible due to additional regression test workload)

2 - Calling 'gawk -vRS=\r\n -vORS=\r\n' instead of 'gawk' (hack to turn back
the additional the latest gawk's complexity, wrapper needed)

3 - Wrapping a d2u/u2d pipe solution (additional app and wrapper needed
again)

4 - Using another compiled version of gawk which does *not* disable the
out-of-the-box gawk feature to swallow CRs (cf., e.g.,
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gawk.git/tree/awkgram.y#n3543), i.e.
without the artificial obstacle to now know the EOL type of the input file
ahead of running gawk.

> It works in all my cases. The only disadvantage: you have to know what
kind

... plus the disadvantage to systematically amend all the scripts instead of
having an external solution

> of files you want to handle in the awk script. The same awk script will
not
> work for DOS files as well as for linux files.

... another issue originated by the change and which didn’t exist before.

> Best
>
> Roger

Please don't get me wrong, but this raises a real issue here and I am not
sure which rationale other than 'let's get more of the Linux-feel' drove the
decision.

All the best,
J.

@ 2017-08-09 11:03         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-08-09 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/09/2017 03:37 AM, Jannick wrote:

> Which is a pretty much of a pain when there is no easy fallback solution
> provided in case a major change is applied. E.g. for sed - if I understand
> the reference to sed in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00033.html
> correctly - a separate switch '-b' is added.

Incorrect. 'sed -b' has always existed, but did NOT do what you wanted
(it forced CR to be treated as a separate character; where what you want
is to ignore CR if it appears before LF).  In fact, the coordinated
change made back in February to all of grep, sed, and awk, was that all
three programs now default to what used to be possible only through 'sed
-b', because silently stripping CR can corrupt data when you are not
expecting it, while requiring the user to explicitly strip CR when they
know they are working with CRLF line endings is less magic (fewer
downstream patches, and more obvious in looking at a script that the
script knows what it is doing).

If your data lives on a text mount (instead of a binary mount), then you
still get CR stripping for free.  If your data comes from a pipeline
rather than the file system, then you can add a d2u or other
CR-stripping tool in the pipeline.

> This is - to say the least - unpleasant in the light of what Cygwin claims
> to be, namely 'a large collection of GNU and Open Source tools which provide
> functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows' (from the top of
> the start website www.cygwin.com).

On Linux, nothing strips CR automatically.  So on Cygwin, we behave the
same - nothing strips CR automatically on binary mounted data.

And the fact that the change was made AND ANNOUNCED back in February,
but you are now only 6 months later complaining about it, is telling.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-09 19:09           ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-08-09 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/09/2017 06:03 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/09/2017 03:37 AM, Jannick wrote:
>
>> Which is a pretty much of a pain when there is no easy fallback solution
>> provided in case a major change is applied.
>> This is - to say the least - unpleasant in the light of what Cygwin claims
>> to be, namely 'a large collection of GNU and Open Source tools which provide
>> functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows' (from the top of
>> the start website www.cygwin.com).
>
> On Linux, nothing strips CR automatically.  So on Cygwin, we behave the
> same - nothing strips CR automatically on binary mounted data.
>
> And the fact that the change was made AND ANNOUNCED back in February,
> but you are now only 6 months later complaining about it, is telling.

It was pointed out to me off-list that my reply can easily be mis-read
in a much more negative tone than I intended, so I'm apologizing for
coming across as mean (yes, I know, https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM).
I think I was trying to emphasize that complaints about the behavior
change at the time of the change were expected (and there was indeed a
reaction, although I was pleasantly surprised at the time that it was
limited to just a few threads, so apparently not many people were
negatively impacted - and that's a good thing).  But complaints about
the behavior after six months are a bit unexpected.  But I guess not
everyone keeps their software up-to-date on quite as frequent a
schedule, so I shouldn't have been as surprised or reacted as harshly.

At any rate, my advice continues to be the same: how would you deal with
CRLF on a Linux system? That's the ideal way to also deal with it on
Cygwin (we used to have gratuitous incompatibilities between the systems
where the same command line on Linux did not have the same result as on
Cygwin; but the change back in February was to get rid of those
incompatibilities, even if it breaks scripts that were unwisely relying
on the incompatibilities).

--

@ 2017-08-10 12:04             ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-10 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/9/2017 3:09 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/09/2017 06:03 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 08/09/2017 03:37 AM, Jannick wrote:
>>
>>> Which is a pretty much of a pain when there is no easy fallback solution
>>> provided in case a major change is applied.
>>> This is - to say the least - unpleasant in the light of what Cygwin claims
>>> to be, namely 'a large collection of GNU and Open Source tools which provide
>>> functionality similar to a Linux distribution on Windows' (from the top of
>>> the start website www.cygwin.com).
>>
>> On Linux, nothing strips CR automatically.  So on Cygwin, we behave the
>> same - nothing strips CR automatically on binary mounted data.
>>
>> And the fact that the change was made AND ANNOUNCED back in February,
>> but you are now only 6 months later complaining about it, is telling.
>
> It was pointed out to me off-list that my reply can easily be mis-read
> in a much more negative tone than I intended, so I'm apologizing for
> coming across as mean (yes, I know, https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM).
> I think I was trying to emphasize that complaints about the behavior
> change at the time of the change were expected (and there was indeed a
> reaction, although I was pleasantly surprised at the time that it was
> limited to just a few threads, so apparently not many people were
> negatively impacted - and that's a good thing).  But complaints about
> the behavior after six months are a bit unexpected.  But I guess not
> everyone keeps their software up-to-date on quite as frequent a
> schedule, so I shouldn't have been as surprised or reacted as harshly.

I don't think you need to apologize, in fact your post stopped me from
posting similarly.

> At any rate, my advice continues to be the same: how would you deal with
> CRLF on a Linux system? That's the ideal way to also deal with it on
> Cygwin (we used to have gratuitous incompatibilities between the systems
> where the same command line on Linux did not have the same result as on
> Cygwin; but the change back in February was to get rid of those
> incompatibilities, even if it breaks scripts that were unwisely relying
> on the incompatibilities).

The clue here is, does it only work for this type of OS?  If yes then it
isn't portable anyway but should it be?  And does it only work on this
type of OS because of an issue that could change as a result of a fix.
Cygwin has always been and will always be a work in progress.  The rule
of thumb "does it work on Linux" should be applied to all that you do
with Cygwin.  If it only works on Cygwin and not on Linux then the
chances are, something will change.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 12:31               ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-08-10 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10. 8. 2017 14:04, cyg Simple wrote:
> The clue here is, does it only work for this type of OS?  If yes then it
> isn't portable anyway but should it be?  And does it only work on this
> type of OS because of an issue that could change as a result of a fix.
> Cygwin has always been and will always be a work in progress.  The rule
> of thumb "does it work on Linux" should be applied to all that you do
> with Cygwin.  If it only works on Cygwin and not on Linux then the
> chances are, something will change.

I feel the need to correct you slightly.  Although Linux is a good model, Cygwin primarily strives to be a good *POSIX* platform, so there may be cases where the two intentionally differ.

--
David Macek

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 14:46                 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2017 8:31 AM, David Macek wrote:

David, I don't know what it is about your email that my thunderbird
client doesn't like but I can't read your email except from reviewing
the message source.  Your assumption that Cygwin strives to be a good
*POSIX* platform also applies to Linux.  If you find a difference then
there is a discrepancy that should be documented or resolved.  However,
you should determine if you need to resolve the difference if you're on
differing platforms.  So my statement of "if it doesn't work on Linux
but does on Cygwin" still needs to be considered because of portability
issues.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 18:35                   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-10 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:45:34, cyg Simple wrote:
> David, I don't know what it is about your email that my thunderbird
> client doesn't like but I can't read your email except from reviewing
> the message source.

Hes using quoted-printable, but he is not actually breaking on 80, so it just
comes out as one long line. Really annoying, and I usually wont even reads posts
from people who do that. Here is an example:

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 21:34                     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-10 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-08-10 12:35, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:45:34, cyg Simple wrote:
>> David, I don't know what it is about your email that my thunderbird
>> client doesn't like but I can't read your email except from reviewing
>> the message source.
>
> Hes using quoted-printable, but he is not actually breaking on 80, so it just
> comes out as one long line. Really annoying, and I usually wont even reads posts
> from people who do that. Here is an example:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00104.html

It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
the window by Thunderbird with no issues:

> I feel the need to correct you slightly.  Although Linux is a good model, C=
> ygwin primarily strives to be a good *POSIX* platform, so there may be case=
> s where the two intentionally differ.

displays as:

@ 2017-08-10 21:49                       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-10 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2017 5:34 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00104.html
>
> It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
> the window by Thunderbird with no issues:

So what setting do I have that is causing me to not see it.  Every mail
David sends displays as empty for me.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 22:22                       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-10 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:34:11, Brian Inglis wrote:
> It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
> the window by Thunderbird with no issues:

Thats great, but it doesnt do that with Firefox, and it doesnt do that with
Internet Explorer. So for people reading the mailing list via the archives
(read: me), each line just scrolls off the page until OP decides to break for a
paragraph.

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 22:49                         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-08-10 16:22, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:34:11, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
>> the window by Thunderbird with no issues:
>
> Thats great, but it doesnt do that with Firefox, and it doesnt do that with
> Internet Explorer. So for people reading the mailing list via the archives
> (read: me), each line just scrolls off the page until OP decides to break for a
> paragraph.

Many archives and sites display lines off the right margin instead of allowing
them to wrap as normal in HTML. Possibly using pre format style without
horizontal scrollbars instead of just specifying a monospace font style. That
makes it a site or converter design issue!

From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-08-10 15:49, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 5:34 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-08/msg00104.html
>>
>> It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
>> the window by Thunderbird with no issues:

> So what setting do I have that is causing me to not see it.  Every mail
> David sends displays as empty for me.

Enable/set wrap settings in config editor, and in Tools/Options/Composition
tab/Send Options... button check Text format Send message as plain text if
possible checkbox/select Convert the message to plain text dropdown; add
cygwin.com and sourceware.org in Plain text domains tab.

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-10 23:59                           ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2017-08-10 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:48:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Many archives and sites display lines off the right margin instead of allowing
> them to wrap as normal in HTML. Possibly using pre format style without
> horizontal scrollbars instead of just specifying a monospace font style. That
> makes it a site or converter design issue!

Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:

So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.
When he knowingly disregards this he does it to the detriment of all users of
the archives.

* Re: format=flowed issues [Was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]
@ 2017-08-11  7:15                             ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2017-08-11  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11. 8. 2017 1:59, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:48:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Many archives and sites display lines off the right margin instead of allowing
>> them to wrap as normal in HTML. Possibly using pre format style without
>> horizontal scrollbars instead of just specifying a monospace font style. That
>> makes it a site or converter design issue!
>
> Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>
> So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.

"""
Nope. Wrong. Cygwin site has been doing this for over 2 years:

So it is a site issue. The site must wrap because David does not.
"""

In other words, why do you think your argument is correct?  Format=flowed is
not a new thing<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt> and it would be nice
if the archives site could display it correctly.  I can cooperate on this
with the maintainer(s) if they're interested.  Essentially, one line of CSS
should fix it, judging by my quick test.

--
David Macek

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-11 12:47                           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-11 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2017 6:49 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> It is flowed format with quoted breaks, which I see reassembled and wrapped in
>>> the window by Thunderbird with no issues:
>
>> So what setting do I have that is causing me to not see it.  Every mail
>> David sends displays as empty for me.
>
> Enable/set wrap settings in config editor, and in Tools/Options/Composition
> tab/Send Options... button check Text format Send message as plain text if
> possible checkbox/select Convert the message to plain text dropdown; add
> cygwin.com and sourceware.org in Plain text domains tab.

That is for sending mail, not reading it.  What causes you to be able to
read David's mail and not me?

--
cyg Simple

* Re: format=flowed issues [Was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]
@ 2017-08-11 13:25                               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-08-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 11 09:15, David Macek wrote:
> On 11. 8. 2017 1:59, Steven Penny wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:48:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > > Many archives and sites display lines off the right margin instead of allowing
> > > them to wrap as normal in HTML. Possibly using pre format style without
> > > horizontal scrollbars instead of just specifying a monospace font style. That
> > > makes it a site or converter design issue!
> >
> > Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
> >
> > So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.
>
> """
> Nope. Wrong. Cygwin site has been doing this for over 2 years:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>
> So it is a site issue. The site must wrap because David does not.
> """
>
> In other words, why do you think your argument is correct?  Format=flowed is
> not a new thing<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt> and it would be nice
> if the archives site could display it correctly.  I can cooperate on this
> with the maintainer(s) if they're interested.  Essentially, one line of CSS
> should fix it, judging by my quick test.

The archives on sourceware.org are centrally maintained by the
sourceware overseers.  You could send your change suggestion to
overseers AT sourceware DOT org, or you could try to discuss this
on the Freenode #overseers channel.  Just be a bit patient ;)

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: format=flowed issues [Was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]
@ 2017-08-11 16:51                                 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, overseers

On 2017-08-11 07:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 11 09:15, David Macek wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>>
>>> So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.
>>
>> """
>> Nope. Wrong. Cygwin site has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>
>> So it is a site issue. The site must wrap because David does not.
>> """
>>
>> In other words, why do you think your argument is correct?  Format=flowed is
>> not a new thing<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt> and it would be nice
>> if the archives site could display it correctly.  I can cooperate on this
>> with the maintainer(s) if they're interested.  Essentially, one line of CSS
>> should fix it, judging by my quick test.
>
> The archives on sourceware.org are centrally maintained by the
> sourceware overseers.  You could send your change suggestion to
> overseers AT sourceware DOT org, or you could try to discuss this
> on the Freenode #overseers channel.  Just be a bit patient ;)

Could you please add "white-space: pre-wrap;" in to the style string in the mail
body <pre style="..."> tags, to ensure that white space is preserved but long
lines are wrapped in the window. Please see referenced links to messages using
standard "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed", and preceding
messages in this thread.

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-11 16:54                             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-08-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-08-11 06:47, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 6:49 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> So what setting do I have that is causing me to not see it.  Every mail
>>> David sends displays as empty for me.
>>
>> Enable/set wrap settings in config editor, and in Tools/Options/Composition
>> tab/Send Options... button check Text format Send message as plain text if
>> possible checkbox/select Convert the message to plain text dropdown; add
>> cygwin.com and sourceware.org in Plain text domains tab.

> That is for sending mail, not reading it.  What causes you to be able to
> read David's mail and not me?

First part:
>> Enable/set wrap settings in config editor,
search for wrap and set toggles to true and values to 80/72/...

* Re: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files
@ 2017-08-11 17:06                               ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-08-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/11/2017 12:54 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 06:47, cyg Simple wrote:

>>> Enable/set wrap settings in config editor, and in Tools/Options/Composition
>>> tab/Send Options... button check Text format Send message as plain text if
>>> possible checkbox/select Convert the message to plain text dropdown; add
>>> cygwin.com and sourceware.org in Plain text domains tab.
>
>> That is for sending mail, not reading it.  What causes you to be able to
>> read David's mail and not me?
>
> First part:
>>> Enable/set wrap settings in config editor,
> search for wrap and set toggles to true and values to 80/72/...

Great, thanks for that.  I can now read David's mail.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: format=flowed issues [Was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]
@ 2017-09-19  2:32                                 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-09-19  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: cygwin

On 2017-08-11 07:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 11 09:15, David Macek wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>>
>>> So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.
>>
>> """
>> Nope. Wrong. Cygwin site has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>
>> So it is a site issue. The site must wrap because David does not.
>> """
>>
>> In other words, why do you think your argument is correct?  Format=flowed is
>> not a new thing<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt> and it would be nice
>> if the archives site could display it correctly.  I can cooperate on this
>> with the maintainer(s) if they're interested.  Essentially, one line of CSS
>> should fix it, judging by my quick test.
>
> The archives on sourceware.org are centrally maintained by the
> sourceware overseers.  You could send your change suggestion to
> overseers AT sourceware DOT org, or you could try to discuss this
> on the Freenode #overseers channel.  Just be a bit patient ;)

[Now that the disk problems have been recovered from, hopefully, resending this]

Please see referenced links to messages using standard "Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed", and preceding messages in these threads.

Could you please consider adding "white-space: pre-wrap;" or equivalent in to
the style string in the email body HTML <pre style="..."> tags or mailing list
CSS, perhaps only when email has Content-type: ...format=flowed..., to ensure
that white space is preserved but long lines are wrapped in the window, to allow
reading without long horizontal scrolls, which make posts hard to read.

This may also assist mobile users read without zooming and scrolling or trying
to read tiny fonts.