* [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-17  9:48 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2019-06-17  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* tcsh-6.21.00-1

This is a bug fix release (after 2.5 years) with no new features.

Tcsh is an enhanced but completely compatible version of csh, the C
shell.  Tcsh is a command language interpreter which can be used both
as an interactive login shell and as a shell script command processor.
Tcsh includes a command line editor, programmable word completion,
spelling correction, a history mechanism, job control and a C language
like syntax.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-17 12:11 ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-17 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell before bash.

________________________________

@ 2019-06-17 13:13   ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2019-06-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

Hi Jose,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Jose Isaias Cabrera  wrote:

> Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell before bash.

There are always pockets of resistance, hiding out in the mountains
(-: server rooms, etc :-)

Also, please don't top-post on this list.

Csaba
--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-17 13:18     ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csaba Raduly, cygwin list

Csaba Raduly, on Monday, June 17, 2019 09:13 AM, wrote...
> Hi Jose,

Greetings!

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Jose Isaias Cabrera  wrote:
> >

> > Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell before bash.
> >

> There are always pockets of resistance, hiding out in the mountains
> (-: server rooms, etc :-)

Yes, I am sure.  Plus, the thousands scripts still running daily... :-)

> Also, please don't top-post on this list.

Yes, apologies for that.

josé

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-17 16:11     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-17 07:13, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Jose Isaias Cabrera  wrote:
>> Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell
>> before bash.
> There are always pockets of resistance, hiding out in the mountains
> (-: server rooms, etc :-)

Some of us were lured to csh on SunOS by mentions of C-like features (still
looking for those) and used tcsh on other systems, before coming to our senses
when POSIX standardized based on Bourne/Korn shell features, and appreciating
the kitchen sink inclusive implementation of interactive shell features provided
by bash.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-18  2:27       ` Greywolf
From: Greywolf @ 2019-06-18  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-17 09:11, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2019-06-17 07:13, Csaba Raduly wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Jose Isaias Cabrera  wrote:
>>> Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell
>>> before bash.
>> There are always pockets of resistance, hiding out in the mountains
>> (-: server rooms, etc :-)
>
> Some of us were lured to csh on SunOS by mentions of C-like features (still
> looking for those) and used tcsh on other systems, before coming to our senses
> when POSIX standardized based on Bourne/Korn shell features, and appreciating
> the kitchen sink inclusive implementation of interactive shell features provided
> by bash.

Some of us were lured to csh on BSD 4.2 because sh was primitive as all
get-out -- no functions, no aliases; the only thing it had going for it was
better signal trapping.  Where I was, a few students implemented 'dsh', a
follow-on to 'csh', which had ESC-based pathname, user, ~user, and envariable
expansion (ran in cbrk mode), and a few other things (and some really goofy
error messages).  I inherited it and immediately declared it dead upon the
arrival on scene by tcsh, which I then abandoned once I discovered bash, since
I wanted to have a CLI which resembled my primary prototyping language.

[ksh, on the other hand, is welcome to fall off the face of the earth at any
unannounced moment...]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1
@ 2019-06-18 16:31         ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-18 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greywolf, cygwin

Greywolf, on Monday, June 17, 2019 10:27 PM, wrote...
> [ksh, on the other hand, is welcome to fall off the face of the earth at any
> unannounced moment...]

Hah. I think I used ksh once in a goverment facility on some obcure SunOS environment.  I went to fix a printer driver and I got stuck with ksh and ed. No vi, no emacs, no csh, no sh.  Nothing.  It was rough... Thanks for listening.  How much I owe?

josé