* No cancel mode for setup.exe
@ 2021-11-29 15:23 Fuchs, Thorsten
From: Fuchs, Thorsten @ 2021-11-29 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

We are using the setup-x86_64.exe within our deployment system to install Cygwin at the developer workstations. The setup run is triggered automatically and all developer workstation going to be install identically. However, when the setup window is open and the install is in progress it is possible for the user to cancel it.
Sometimes developers interrupt the process. Would be good if this can be avoided. Is there an command line option for setup-x86_64.exe to prohibit the cancelation or can something like that implemented?

Best regards

i. V. Thorsten Fuchs
Expert Software Development
Software & Methods Electronics

Brose Fahrzeugteile SE & Co. Kommanditgesellschaft, Bamberg

Berliner Ring 1
96052 Bamberg
Germany

* Re: No cancel mode for setup.exe
@ 2021-11-30 12:20 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-11-30 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Fuchs, Thorsten

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 15:24, Fuchs, Thorsten via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> We are using the setup-x86_64.exe within our deployment system to install Cygwin at the developer workstations. The setup run is triggered automatically and all developer workstation going to be install identically. However, when the setup window is open and the install is in progress it is possible for the user to cancel it.
> Sometimes developers interrupt the process. Would be good if this can be avoided. Is there an command line option for setup-x86_64.exe to prohibit the cancelation or can something like that implemented?

This is function that doesn't currently exist, and while you could
probably disable the "Cancel" button, I don't think you'd be able to
reliably prevent a determined user from breaking out of the
installation process.

If you're interested in adding it this function, the source code for
the installer is accessible via
https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html. Cygwin is an open
source project; two of the common phrases on this list are "Someone
has to do it" () and "Patches thoughtfully considered". If you or your
employer aren't willing to write and submit the patches yourselves, if
you ask on this list you might find other developers willing to do
work on a contracting basis. You *might* get lucky and find someone
who will do it without pay, but I don't imagine this is the sort of
thing that anyone would be interested in doing for free.

HTH

Adam

* Re: No cancel mode for setup.exe
@ 2021-11-30 15:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2021-11-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Fuchs, Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

On Nov 29 15:23, Fuchs, Thorsten via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using the setup-x86_64.exe within our deployment system to
> install Cygwin at the developer workstations. The setup run is
> triggered automatically and all developer workstation going to be
> install identically. However, when the setup window is open and the
> install is in progress it is possible for the user to cancel it.
> Sometimes developers interrupt the process. Would be good if this can
> be avoided.

When you automate the setup call, can't you also ask the automation
to run the process in a hidden window?  That would probably already
avoid a lot of uninformed interruption...

Corinna