* Python 3 versions
@ 2023-02-10 18:45 Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2023-02-10 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Garrison via Cygwin

Greetings.

I am going to start a project using python, but I need to be able to run some of the python3 libraries. When I use setup to install python, there are a bunch of python* versions:
python2*
python3
python36*
python39*

I know that python2 is, probably, on its way out. But, why so many choices for versions of python? One more question, if I install python3, does that mean that I can use all of those python3x libraries? In other words, can I use the libraries of python37* or python38* or python39? Or are these specific to those versions? Confusing, it is. Thanks.

josé

* Re: Python 3 versions
@ 2023-02-10 20:46 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2023-02-10 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Isaias Cabrera; +Cc: Jim Garrison via Cygwin

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 at 18:46, Jose Isaias Cabrera via Cygwin wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am going to start a project using python, but I need to be able to run some of the python3 libraries. When I use setup to install python, there are a bunch of python* versions:
> python2*
> python3
> python36*
> python39*
>
> I know that python2 is, probably, on its way out.

Correct. Python2 has been completely unsupported by the Python project
for over three years:
https://devguide.python.org/developer-workflow/development-cycle/index.html#end-of-life-branches

> But, why so many choices for versions of python?

Because some Python-based programs need a specific version. If you're
starting out a new project and don't have a specific version, you can
probably use the latest version available, but that's not always the
case.

> One more question, if I install python3, does that mean that I can use all of those python3x libraries? In other words, can I use the libraries of python37* or python38* or python39? Or are these specific to those versions? Confusing, it is. Thanks.

Some Python libraries will work with any 3.x Python version. Most will
only work with a specific version. You definitely won't be able to
use, say, the python37-requests package with a python39 installation.

The "python3" package isn't a real package; it just means "the latest
package of Python3 available". Right now, that means Python 3.9, but I
expect Python 3.10 and 3.11 will appear at some point as well.

HTH

Adam

* Re: Python 3 versions
@ 2023-02-10 20:53   ` Jose Isaias Cabrera