* make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file
@ 2016-12-07  0:05 Arnaut B
From: Arnaut B @ 2016-12-07  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
is broken. It spits the following error:

   C:/cygwin/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:

My setup-x86.exe version is 2.876

I did try "cygcheck.exe /usr/bin/make", and got the following error:

   cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygcrypt-0.dll

So I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the crypt package under Libs, but
that didn't work. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the make
package, and that did not fix the issue either. Any help would be
appreciated.

* Re: make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file
@ 2016-12-07  2:41 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-12-07  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/6/2016 6:54 PM, Arnaut B wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
> is broken. It spits the following error:
>
>   C:/cygwin/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:
>
> My setup-x86.exe version is 2.876
>
> I did try "cygcheck.exe /usr/bin/make", and got the following error:
>
>   cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygcrypt-0.dll
>
> So I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the crypt package under Libs, but
> that didn't work. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the make
> package, and that did not fix the issue either. Any help would be
> appreciated.

/usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package.  Try
reinstalling that.

Ken

* Re: make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file
@ 2016-12-07  6:35   ` Arnaut B
From: Arnaut B @ 2016-12-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:41:25 -0800, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

> On 12/6/2016 6:54 PM, Arnaut B wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
>> is broken. It spits the following error:
>>
>>   C:/cygwin/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> My setup-x86.exe version is 2.876
>>
>> I did try "cygcheck.exe /usr/bin/make", and got the following error:
>>
>>   cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygcrypt-0.dll
>>
>> So I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the crypt package under Libs, but
>> that didn't work. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the make
>> package, and that did not fix the issue either. Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>
> /usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package.  Try
> reinstalling that.
>
> Ken

Thanks. That did it. Wish there was an easier way to get the answer than
going on the mailing list. Is there a command that can check what package
a dll belongs to?

* Re: make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file
@ 2016-12-07 11:03     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-12-07 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/12/2016 07:34, Arnaut B wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:41:25 -0800, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2016 6:54 PM, Arnaut B wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
>>> is broken. It spits the following error:
>>>

>> /usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package.  Try
>> reinstalling that.
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Thanks. That did it. Wish there was an easier way to get the answer than
> going on the mailing list. Is there a command that can check what
> package a dll belongs to?

$ cygcheck -p cygcrypt-0.dll
Found 4 matches for cygcrypt-0.dll
crypt-debuginfo-1.3-1 - crypt-debuginfo: Debug info for crypt (installed
binaries and support files)
crypt-debuginfo-1.4-1 - crypt-debuginfo: Debug info for crypt (installed
binaries and support files)
libcrypt0-1.3-1 - libcrypt0: Encryption/Decryption utility and library
(installed binaries and support files)
libcrypt0-1.4-1 - libcrypt0: Encryption/Decryption utility and library

@ 2016-12-07 15:08       ` Ian Lambert
From: Ian Lambert @ 2016-12-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Marco Atzeri

On December 7, 2016 6:02:57 AM EST, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 07/12/2016 07:34, Arnaut B wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:41:25 -0800, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
>wrote:

>command
>>>>

>>> /usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package.  Try
>>> reinstalling that.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>

>> Thanks. That did it. Wish there was an easier way to get the answer
>than
>> going on the mailing list. Is there a command that can check what
>> package a dll belongs to?
>

>$ cygcheck -p cygcrypt-0.dll
>Found 4 matches for cygcrypt-0.dll
>crypt-debuginfo-1.3-1 - crypt-debuginfo: Debug info for crypt
>(installed
>binaries and support files)
>crypt-debuginfo-1.4-1 - crypt-debuginfo: Debug info for crypt
>(installed
>binaries and support files)
>libcrypt0-1.3-1 - libcrypt0: Encryption/Decryption utility and library
>(installed binaries and support files)
>libcrypt0-1.4-1 - libcrypt0: Encryption/Decryption utility and library
>(installed binaries and support files)

Or for web-based search:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=cygcrypt-0.dll&arch=x86_64

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi