* RE: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 10:21 Glen Coakley
From: Glen Coakley @ 2001-03-30 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I thought _maybe_ cygwin was using something similar to the results of file
to figure out what was executable, but alas no. On the positive side it
should be an easy change to the source. It already recognizes .exe and .com
(remember those?) So, I would think there is a list somewhere of files that
can be executed.

________________________________
Glen Coakley, Sr. Software Engineer
MQSoftware Inc., (763) 543-4845
Have you ever wonder what happens when you run "rm -rf / " but been afraid
to try it?

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-04-02  4:56             ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-04-02  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Vicherek; +Cc: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), Andrew Markebo, Earnie Boyd

Jan Vicherek wrote:

>   Hmm, executing "foo.bat" works even without performing the three steps
> below, but executing "foo" (where "foo.bat" is in the path), doesn't work
> even if "#!.exe" is present ! :
>
> administrator@BM80258908 /c
> $ echo $PATH
> /c/temp:.:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/vim/vim57
>
> administrator@BM80258908 /c
> $ foo.bat
>
> c:\>echo test works !
> test works !
>
> administrator@BM80258908 /c
> $ foo
> bash: foo: command not found
>
>  I presume that in order to make the three steps of the effect that
> executing just "foo" will work, there is a prerequisite, right ?
> Earnie, what would this prerequisite be ?

The prerequisite is that you have to live by the Win32 rules.  The only
way for the #! suggestion to work is to name the file foo.bat and
execute foo.bat.  All of this quibble over not specifying all of the
filename is just nonsense.  Where in UNIX land do you get filename
extension recognition?  IMO, the executing foo.exe by the name foo is
bogus too as well as the .exe that is put there but if I want to play
with cmd.exe/command.com they have to be.

I don't see that executing foo if the file is named foo.bat exists will
easily work.  It already confuses autoconfiguration with foo.exe
stat'ing as foo.  If we change the routines to find foo.bat as foo then
when we have foo.exe, foo.bat and foo/ in the same directory what does
stat() stat?

My recommendation is to live with it.  Needing to type foo.bat when you
want to execute foo.bat is here to stay.  If you want to be lazy use the
tab-completion routines of the readline library.

Earnie.

* RE: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 15:15 Glen Coakley
From: Glen Coakley @ 2001-03-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You'll have to educate me on PATHEXT.

The windows command 'start' will invoke the proper program based upon a
files extension. Unfortunately, start doesn't work under cygwin.

The magic I was referring to doing was in a normal Unix environment (of
which cygwin would qualify).

________________________________

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 14:46           ` Jan Vicherek
From: Jan Vicherek @ 2001-03-30 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Andrew Markebo, Earnie Boyd

[...]

    thanx

	     Jan

> >/ Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >| Hmm...  This isn't a FAQ yet?!
> >|
> >| I've explained many times how to do this.
> >|
> >| 1) Create a noop program named #!.exe
> >| 2) Install the it in C:/cygwin/bin and C:/windows/system32/
> >| 3) Add `#! c:/windows/system32/cmd /c' to the .bat file as the first
> >| line.
> >|
> >| Earnie.
> >|
> >| P.S.:
> >|
> >| cat << EOD > noop.c
> >| int main (void) {return 0;}
> >| EOD
> >| gcc -o \#\!.exe noop.c

* RE: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 14:44 ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-03-30 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

start already does the invoking of the proper program based upon
it's windows file association (do a 'start "window title" file.ext).
Also, doesn't WinNT provide support for defining executable
extensions via the PATHEXT environment variable??  Can't that
be built upon?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:44:25 -0600, Glen Coakley wrote:

>cmd will grok it because it will look for a command called #!, which step
>one instructs you to create. A note on step #2. You will want #!.exe in the
>path that is set in Windows and in cgywin's bash but, it only has to be in
>the path once. So, if you have added cygwin/bin to your normal windows path,
>you shouldn't need to put it in windows/system32.
>
>While we are on the topic of paths, you would really only need to add
>	#! cmd /c
>as the first line of the batch file, since windows/system32 is always in the
>windows path and cygwin builds it path on that.
>
>I think I speak for many though, when I say that it would be nice to have
>more intuitive support, such as it just working. I have many batch files
>that I would rather not convert. Perhaps cygwin could recognize a first line
>of "@echo off" as a DOS batch file and run the interpreter. Even better, and
>I have wondered for a long time why I haven't seen this yet, programs could
>be invoked on any file based on the results of that file's magic (see: man
>file).
>
>________________________________
>Glen Coakley, Sr. Software Engineer
>MQSoftware Inc., (763) 543-4845
>Have you ever wonder what happens when you run "rm -rf / " but been afraid
>to try it?

* RE: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 13:44 Glen Coakley
From: Glen Coakley @ 2001-03-30 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

cmd will grok it because it will look for a command called #!, which step
one instructs you to create. A note on step #2. You will want #!.exe in the
path that is set in Windows and in cgywin's bash but, it only has to be in
the path once. So, if you have added cygwin/bin to your normal windows path,
you shouldn't need to put it in windows/system32.

While we are on the topic of paths, you would really only need to add
	#! cmd /c
as the first line of the batch file, since windows/system32 is always in the
windows path and cygwin builds it path on that.

I think I speak for many though, when I say that it would be nice to have
more intuitive support, such as it just working. I have many batch files
that I would rather not convert. Perhaps cygwin could recognize a first line
of "@echo off" as a DOS batch file and run the interpreter. Even better, and
I have wondered for a long time why I haven't seen this yet, programs could
be invoked on any file based on the results of that file's magic (see: man
file).

________________________________
Glen Coakley, Sr. Software Engineer
MQSoftware Inc., (763) 543-4845
Have you ever wonder what happens when you run "rm -rf / " but been afraid
to try it?

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 12:21         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-30 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo, Earnie Boyd

Been there, done that!  I'm having quite a bit of deja-vu relative to this
particular solution.

Earnie suggested making an executable called #!.exe  If this is done, then
you can expect the batch file to grok it if its in the path.

At 03:09 PM 3/30/2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>Will cmd still grokk the batch-file if you have a #! on the first
>line??
>
>         /Andy
>
>/ Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>| > Anything's possible.  foo.bat works for me though.
>| >

>| Hmm...  This isn't a FAQ yet?!
>|
>| I've explained many times how to do this.
>|
>| 1) Create a noop program named #!.exe
>| 2) Install the it in C:/cygwin/bin and C:/windows/system32/
>| 3) Add `#! c:/windows/system32/cmd /c' to the .bat file as the first
>| line.
>|
>| Earnie.
>|
>| P.S.:
>|
>| cat << EOD > noop.c
>| int main (void) {return 0;}
>| EOD
>| gcc -o \#\!.exe noop.c

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 12:09       ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-03-30 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Will cmd still grokk the batch-file if you have a #! on the first
line??

        /Andy

/ Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
| "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
| >
| > At 11:17 AM 3/30/2001, Matt Minnis wrote:
| >
| > >Is there a way to get Cygwin to recognize that *.bat files are executeable as:
| > >fred.bat & fred (without the .bat)?
| >
| > Anything's possible.  foo.bat works for me though.
| >

| Hmm...  This isn't a FAQ yet?!
|
| I've explained many times how to do this.
|
| 1) Create a noop program named #!.exe
| 2) Install the it in C:/cygwin/bin and C:/windows/system32/
| 3) Add `#! c:/windows/system32/cmd /c' to the .bat file as the first
| line.
|
| Earnie.
|
| P.S.:
|
| cat << EOD > noop.c
| int main (void) {return 0;}
| EOD
| gcc -o \#\!.exe noop.c

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30 11:47     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-30 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Matt Minnis, cygwin

@ 2001-03-30  9:36       ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-30  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Minnis, cygwin

Not without a source change AFAIK.

Larry

At 12:20 PM 3/30/2001, Matt Minnis wrote:
>Yes, fred.bat or foo.bat do work now, but so should foo and fred.
>
>Is there a way to enable this behavior?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>
>At 11:14 AM 3/30/2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>>At 11:17 AM 3/30/2001, Matt Minnis wrote:
>>

>> >Is there a way to get Cygwin to recognize that *.bat files are executeable as:
>> >fred.bat & fred (without the .bat)?
>>

>>Anything's possible.  foo.bat works for me though.
>>

>>Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
>>RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
>>118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
>>Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>

>The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
>Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
>701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
>Suite 475                      mminnis@prefres.com
>St. Louis, MO
>63141

* Re: Batch files
@ 2001-03-30  9:20     ` Matt Minnis
From: Matt Minnis @ 2001-03-30  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), cygwin

@ 2001-03-30  9:14   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-30  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Minnis, cygwin

At 11:17 AM 3/30/2001, Matt Minnis wrote:

>Is there a way to get Cygwin to recognize that *.bat files are executeable as:
>fred.bat & fred (without the .bat)?

Anything's possible.  foo.bat works for me though.

* Batch files
@ 2001-03-30  8:18 ` Matt Minnis
From: Matt Minnis @ 2001-03-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is there a way to get Cygwin to recognize that *.bat files are executeable as:
fred.bat & fred (without the .bat)?

Thanks,

Matt Minnis