* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-20  0:44 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-20  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Mellor, cygwin

Please grab the logs from  /var/log/ - they will be helpful.

also a ls -lR from your local cache dir, and the contents of all
setup.ini's in that tree...

please do not run setup.ini again until you've sent me this.

Thanks
Rob

http://cygwin.com/setup.exe tonight. At a guess, I'd say I got the
message about 30-40 times. Note that, unlike scowles' experience, setup
just kept right on running after I clicked OK each time. At the end of
the setup run, I was able to run bash and it worked fine (lightly
tested).

I searched google and the cygwin archives, using various ways of
combining keywords from the message, always including '(null)'. All I
found was scowles' message, which s/he posted just a few days ago. So
I'm guessing it is something to do with a recent change to the cygwin
setup.exe.

I'm running W2K, SP2 hosted by vmware, hosted by RH Linux 7.2.

Toward the end of the install process, I encountered 4 or 5 messages
about a missing DLL in an error dialog, the title of which was, in at
least some cases, "pdfetex":

    The dynamic link library cygtiff3.dll could not be found in the
     specified path:

      C:\cygwin\bin;.;C:\WINNT\System32;C:\WINNT\System;
      C:\WINNT;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;.;c:\cygwin

Note the 3 copies in the path of C:\cygwin\bin and two copies of just a
dot. When I looked in bash after the setup completed, the path looked
fine, so the path in the error message is presumably something that
exists just during the setup process.

At the end of the setup it noted that setup was incomplete and referred
me to the log. However, all the log info was from the time I downloaded
files to the local machine a couple nights ago, and there were no error
messages, so I don't think it would be helpful.

--
ralph

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-20  0:33 Ralph Mellor
From: Ralph Mellor @ 2002-03-20  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-03-19  6:47 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-19  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, cygwin

Several reasons: look in the cygwin-apps archives.

> Also, I'm a bit of a newbie with CVS - what is the situation
> with the branches at the moment?

Code against HEAD. beware: it's short a largish commit I need to make to
bring it up to date with the bugfixes in setup200202.

Rob

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-19  6:07 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-03-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > packages
> > >
> > > It's to support selecting packages from multiple mirrors.  See the
> > > email archives for more in depth discussions on this topic.
> >
> > I searched, but did not find. The point of my original
> > question was this: At the moment, every so often, I merge the
> > mirror directories into my old-style main directory by hand.
> > If I produced a patch to add a 'tidy download directories'
> > option to setup, that did this, would people say "that's
> > helpful" or "that's stupid".

> They would say "Something like that was planned eventually anyway -
> thank you very much for helping".

OK! - I'll put somehing together - but in that case, what is the purpose of the
mirror-named directories in the first place?

Also, I'm a bit of a newbie with CVS - what is the situation with the branches
at the moment?

Max Bowsher.

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-19  5:05 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-19  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, cygwin

@ 2002-03-19  4:35     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-03-19  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> At 11:00 AM 3/15/2002, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >Hi - Could someone tell me what the reason behind making setup put
packages
> >in directories named for the mirror they came from? I'm sure there was a
> >good reason, I just can't figure it out.
>
> It's to support selecting packages from multiple mirrors.  See the email
> archives for more in depth discussions on this topic.

I searched, but did not find. The point of my original question was this: At
the moment, every so often, I merge the mirror directories into my old-style
main directory by hand. If I produced a patch to add a 'tidy download
directories' option to setup, that did this, would people say "that's
helpful" or "that's stupid".

Thanks,
Max Bowsher.

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-17 10:51 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Nieuwenhuizen; +Cc: cygwin

Cool.

> > This REQUIRES volunteer assistance from the set of cygwin setup.exe
> > users that have windows 98SE available to them.
>
> > I will guide, tutor,provide builds and source and debug
> commentary -
> > in realtime if needed - to get this solved, but I am
> physically unable
> > do this myself.
>
> Ok, that sounds like fun, I'll have a go.  Though I'm no fan
> of Windows programming, nor GUIs, and had hoped someone with
> better iron would step forward to debug this.
>
> Any hints up front on how to use gud, ie, what to put in
> .emacs to make ntemacs happy with Cygwin?

I've no idea, being a vimmer myself.

However, here's the first steps to troubleshoot this (and we'd probably
better take this off-line too).

build setup in your local sandbox. Then to invoke setup under the
debugger run
$ gdb -nw ./setup.exe
to invoke a windowless gdb. I find this much better for debugging GUI
apps than the GUI debugger, but that's just me :}.

I strongly suspect that the fault is being caused by my saving and
restoring the GDI clip region.

so.. msdn is your entry point to the calls I'm used -
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/cl
ipping_4q0e.asp>

You might try
inserting a breakpoint at PickPackageLine::paint which is where the main
clipping manipulation goes on and then skipping the SelectClipRgn calls.
(Or just #ifdef that out).

Have a fiddle, and get back to me.

On second thoughts, MSDN just glared at me, I need a little bit of
OS-specific code that may (or may not) solve the problem. I'll try a new
snapshot with the appropriate code in 'sight-unseen' and if that
helps....

Rob

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-16  5:56 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2002-03-16  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

"Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> writes:

Hi Robert,

I think I've reported this too, about a month ago.  I've got an old
(P133) windows98 box here, that still exhibits this problem.

That's with

    %%% $Id: ChangeLog,v 2.194.2.13 2002/03/15 14:27:49 rbcollins Exp $
    $Revision: 2.194.2.13 $

> This REQUIRES volunteer assistance from the set of cygwin setup.exe
> users that have windows 98SE available to them.

> I will guide, tutor,provide builds and source and debug commentary - in
> realtime if needed - to get this solved, but I am physically unable do
> this myself.

Ok, that sounds like fun, I'll have a go.  Though I'm no fan of
Windows programming, nor GUIs, and had hoped someone with better iron
would step forward to debug this.

Any hints up front on how to use gud, ie, what to put in .emacs to
make ntemacs happy with Cygwin?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15 23:28 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-15 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiran Prakash, cygwin

Right. Well ....

Drum roll please...

For the third (I think, may be more) time:

I DO NOT HAVE a windows 98SE machine.

Thus I CAN NOT fix this.

This REQUIRES volunteer assistance from the set of cygwin setup.exe
users that have windows 98SE available to them.

I will guide, tutor,provide builds and source and debug commentary - in
realtime if needed - to get this solved, but I am physically unable do
this myself.

In short, if NO ONE volunteers (or sends me a PC to test on), windows
98SE users WILL have an unusable setup.exe, and IT WILL NOT GET FIXED,
and we WILL NOT guarantee backwards compatability for future
setup.ini's.

Rob

From: Kiran Prakash @ 2002-03-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I use Win98SE, and I find setup-20020315.exe
impossible to use.

There are a couple of problems that I noticed.
first, no packages appear after the first few packages,
as you can see in both the attached bitmaps.

Also, the end of package name is obscured.

Both occur in all three modes.
(Category, full and partial)

Thanks,
Kiran Prakash

[-- Attachment #2: setup2.bmp.gz --]

[-- Attachment #3: setup1.bmp.gz --]

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
       [not found] <FC169E059D1A0442A04C40F86D9BA76062C4@itdomain003.itdomain. net.au>
@ 2002-03-15 21:13 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Robert,

Mangled URLs, somehow.

Try <http://hackdata.com/cygwin/setup-20020315-2.png>

Likewise, <http://hackdata.com/cygwin/setup-20020315-2.png>

>Thanks again for the feedback.
>
>Rob

Randall Schulz

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15 19:29 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-15 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you.

>  o It's not possible to get back to the chooser screen (if
> the window is
> hidden) by click on the task in the task-bar. Only by using
> Alt-TAB. All the other screens are accessing also through the
> task-bar.

Yup, this is known. Gary or I will do something about this for the next release I hope. At the moment the chooser is in transition, but we want to get the new functionality 'out there'.

>  o There are two rsync:// URLs in the mirror list
> but no rsync:// support in setup.exe. It says: "Can't read
> /cygwin/setup.ini" and then "Failed to download setup.ini
> from rsync://" but no hint about the unsopported rsync
> protocol.

Does this affect the current setup? I think it does. Rsync support is in the TODO list already... I'll add a 'filter mirror list to supported URL schemes' todo item as well.

> o There's a '+' before the closed categories but
> it doesn't change to '-' when expanded.

Should it? I guess it should. Ok, adding to TODO, it may get into the release, maybe not :}.

@ 2002-03-15 11:07   ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2002-03-15 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

 >> Sorry, I know it's not at all helpful to say "Still flakey on 98/SE,
 >> and I
 >> haven't a clue how to fix it either" but if none of us said this, you
 >> wouldn't know that it was still flakey on 98/SE. I won't attach
anything,
 >> but screen maintenance is all shot up. Thanks for trying so hard to
 >> get this
 >> right in the face of sometimes conflicting requirements. ...

 > I think what he's getting at here is that on at least some versions of
 > Windows (Win2K, SP2 for me), if you change views from the default tree
 > view, the lines of text dexcribing the packages are drawn a little too
 > close together, resulting in a little bit of the top portion of each
 > line being cut off.

No, we already had this ..

 >> as you can see here:
 >>
 >> http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens2.gif
 >>
 >> it does strange things in the selection window, I just clicked +Doc
 >> and made a screenshot.
 >>
 >> And here: http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens1.gif
 >> you can see what happens after a click on the View button.

.. problem with the last snapshot of setup.exe on W98SE.

These are old screenshots, for the last version, but the problem is
still there.

Bye
      Volker

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15 10:51 ` Hack Kampbjørn
From: Hack Kampbjørn @ 2002-03-15 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> Hi folk,
>         the setup.exe setup200202 branch has a final pre-release
> snapshot available at
> http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020315.exe.
>
> IMPORTANT! This is your final chance to report release-critical bugs
> with this version. Feedback to cygwin@cygwin.com please.

OK, some comments then:
"screwed" (see http://hackdata.com/cygwin/setup-20020315-2.png).

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15  8:59 S. Cowles
From: S. Cowles @ 2002-03-15  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When using the setup-snapshot setup-20020315.exe for "install from local
directory", I get multiple "Can't open (null) for reading" errors. Setup
then aborts without going through the other packages in the queue for
installation.  I found no installation messages in setup.log.full after
the abort.  I'd be happy to provide whatever info might be helpful if
this is worth debugging and not pilot error.

scowles@earthlink.net

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15  8:56   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-03-15  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, cygwin

@ 2002-03-15  8:41 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-03-15  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-03-15  8:38 ` Jonathon Merz
From: Jonathon Merz @ 2002-03-15  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net wrote:
> Sorry, I know it's not at all helpful to say "Still flakey on 98/SE, and I
> haven't a clue how to fix it either" but if none of us said this, you
> wouldn't know that it was still flakey on 98/SE. I won't attach anything,
> but screen maintenance is all shot up. Thanks for trying so hard to get this
> right in the face of sometimes conflicting requirements. If those of us who
> need to keep a local copy of the current setup.exe v.2.125.2.10, is there
> any reason why it shouldn't work with future setup.ini's, even after [if]
> you release this version v.2.194.2.11, or something close to it, as
> standard?
> Fergus

I think what he's getting at here is that on at least some versions of Windows
(Win2K, SP2 for me), if you change views from the default tree view, the lines
of text dexcribing the packages are drawn a little too close together,
resulting in a little bit of the top portion of each line being cut off.  It's
still readable, but you have to put some effort into reading it.  I expect
somebody's already pointed this out, as it is easy to see. Btw, is there a
running list of Known Bugs for setup.exe?  I ask because I wasn't able to find
one in my (admittedly quick) search, and I expect if there is one, that this
is probably in there and I'm unfortunately re-reporting it.  At any rate, in
case this isn't a known issue, I've put a screenshot of it up at:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmerz42/cyg_setup/cyg_setup.png

so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the work, this is looking really nice!

-Jon

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the
ability to learn from the experience of others, are
also remarkable for their apparent disinclination
to do so.

- Douglas Adams

* RE: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15  8:00 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-15  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fergus, cygwin

Yes. Firstly, there are plans to move functionality out of setup.exe
into packages where it can be more easily maintained. This includes
things like /etc/passwd creations, /etc/profile creation.. you get the
drift.

Secondly not all enhancements and extensions to setup.ini and the
package format will be backwards compatible. Given that this is a
volunteer operation, I can *guarantee* that we won't be jumping through
hoops to retain backwards compatability. We will likely have staggered
changes - i.e. introduce the capability a revision before the change
occurs - but that won't help you...

If you are able to run gdb, you are able to help me debug this though.
So, if you'd like to be able to move with the rest of us....

Rob

* Re: Setup.exe release-candidate
@ 2002-03-15  7:55 fergus
From: fergus @ 2002-03-15  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

@ 2002-03-15  6:01 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-15  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folk,
	the setup.exe setup200202 branch has a final pre-release
snapshot available at
http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020315.exe.

IMPORTANT! This is your final chance to report release-critical bugs
with this version. Feedback to cygwin@cygwin.com please.

We have sporadic reports of problems on win98SE, but I don't have access
to that to test, so win98SE users... if you want this to work, give it a
test run now, and if possible, grab the source and have a go a debugging
the problem (I'll happily bounce emails back and forth, and can already
give you a detailed starting point).

Major new features:
* New GUI that should be less prone to 'disappearing'.
* Can download from multiple mirrors - use CTRL-Click or Shift-Click in
the mirror site dialog.
* Updated chooser that allows full installs with ease, as well as source
only installs of packages.

Thanks go out to all the contributors to this version, which includes
(In reverse date order):

Me!
Michael Chase
Jason Tishler