* RE: I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20  0:19 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: George Hester [mailto:hesterloli@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 4:52 PM
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server

Consider this: A BSOD is equivalent to a unix kernel panic - usermode
software should be unable to produce that result.

If setup.exe EVER BSOD'd your server, it is the problem, not setup.exe.

Rob

* Re: I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-22 14:28   ` Paul G.
From: Paul G. @ 2002-04-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FWIW, All I think any one really needs here is to be certain that you have done and checked every possibility (that
you can) out your self before bringing it up on the list.  Check mailing list archives, etc.

	Once it is clear that you have checked every possibiliity (there are a lot of very intelligent people here and
most can determine the cause of something simply by reading the post for as long as that post provides sufficient
information/test-cases to work with).

	Can't recall, but I believe there are at least 500 people who depend on this list for feedback and support
where Cygwin is concerned.  A fair amount of them use Cygwin for critical operations (server or otherwise).  If a
problem still persists, then provide test cases and/or linear data sufficient enough to invoke the resources of this
mailing list.

	The traffic, here, can be great.  I believe that what I've referenced above above are just some of the main
assumptions where questions about Cygwin are concerned, or any of the Cygwin Setup included apps/binutils/utils
are concerned.  I trust that cgf or any of the moderators for this list "will" correct me if I am missing something.  That
is just part of what they do.  My part is to be very clear about what I see occurring now, and to report that to the best
of my ability to the mailing list if that is what becomes necessary after addressing the (not unrealistic) expectations
noted above.

	Paul G.

@ 2002-04-21 20:29 ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-21 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-21 20:18                 ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Got you.  I don't recall if a reboot was necessary.  All I remember was that
the Cygwin installation didn't work.  I then rebooted hoping then it would
work.  It didn't I BSOD'd.  Now that was in Windows 2000 Professional which
is doing very well now thank you.  I was going to put Cygwin in Windows 2000
Server and I was going to try it without the automatic installation in the
setup routine.  So I asked here and have been met with many an encouraging
and discouraging response.  I suppose that's the Way of The World.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

@ 2002-04-21 14:25                   ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2002-04-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cgf worte:
> I appreciate your (Cliff) letting people know about your experiences
> with Norton on XP. ...

Actually it was with NT4SP6.  And I can't be sure that it was a
bug in the Symantic/Norton code, as the system had been 'repaired'
and the Norton s/w was rather old.  But it does illustrate that
3rd party background monitors can confuse and destabilise windows
systems.

-- Cliff

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-21 11:32                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 01:48:12PM +0100, Cliff Hones wrote:
>>It wasn't setup that BSOD'd the op sys it was rebooting after the
>>setup.  Jeeze! And please if you want to give me the old "screw you"
>>that doesn't help any.  You may think my op sys is hanging on by it's
>>IDE cable and if so that's your call.  I cannot believe you suggested
>>installing a Norton product.  OMYGOD! Next thing you'll be praising the
>>likes of WinOnCD for Windows 2000 or a McAfee product.
>
>What the blazes are you talking about?
>
>My suggestion was that Norton or McAfee (and the likes) may be the
>cause of your (or others') problems.  They have certainly been known to
>cause BSODs when they are active during installs of Cygwin and of other
>software.

I think the confused Mr.  Hester was responding to my email, actually.
I expected that all of my suggestions would receive this type of
inattentive-yet-hostile response.  Looks like you got the response
intended for me.

Judging by his inability to figure out what email to respond to, his
inability to actually articulate what his problem is, and his sarcastic
response to people who are actually trying to help, I'd suggest that he
merits no more attention here.

I appreciate your (Cliff) letting people know about your experiences
with Norton on XP.  I haven't had similar experiences with Norton lately
but I have annoying things happen with Norton's CrashGuard on 9x.  For
that reason, I usually choose not to install any of the "watch my system
for me" type of utilities.  I just run a periodic scan on things like
the hardware, registry, etc.  and it does seem to work well for tracking
down things like that.

Maybe there are better utilities than Norton for doing this type of
thing, but Norton has met my needs for a couple of years.

I've even used Norton to help track down some strange hanging problems
that my 98 system was experiencing.  I wish, when I had the problem, it
had occurred to me to send email to the manufacturer of every piece of
software that I had running on the system, since it was obviously
*their* problem, not mine.  It would have been a unique experience to
receive a clueless "bug report" from myself, since one of the things on
the system is, of course, cygwin.

At least the last message didn't mention toes...

cgf

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-21  6:55               ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2002-04-21  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-21  1:20             ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-21  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-21  0:54               ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-21  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It ain't me man whaaaaa!

--
George Hester
_________________________________

@ 2002-04-20 16:46           ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2002-04-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-20 15:56 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-20 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 08:40:52AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, that would be cool.

cgf

(Oops.  Is this a meee tooo?)

* RE: I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 15:44 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-20 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Michael A Chase; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-04-20 15:40         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-20 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:51:36PM -0400, George Hester wrote:
>Sort of.  Maybe it does work for 99% of the people out there.  I know
>nothing of that.  And yes, my toes are sensitive to things such as this.  If
>I lose my op sys it takes me months to get it back to the condition I had
>before its destruction.  You may not believe me but I assure you that is the
>case.

If setup.exe causes such horrendous destruction to your system, then I
think it's very likely that Cygwin will do the same.  I suggest that
maybe Cygwin is not something that you want to mess with.

Again, since no one else has to reinstall their system after running
setup, I think I am on pretty safe grounds assuming that this is *your*
problem.  If I was you, I'd be very alarmed about the instability of my
system and I would be doing whatever possible to stabilize it.  Cygwin
setup is the least of your worries.

My crystal ball tells me that your response to this is probably going to
be something like "I only have this problem with Cygwin's setup.exe!"
Well, then you should be thanking us for providing you this valuable
tool which is alerting you to serious problems on your system.

I think you should take a few steps back and ensure that you are running
the most up-to-date version of Windows possible.  If you are running
W2K, make sure that you have installed all of the service packs.  Ditto
for any other Windows version.  You might also want to invest in
something like Norton Systemworks which has diagnostic tools that may
help narrow down what's wrong with your system.  There may also be info
and tools downloadable at www.sysinternals.com.

Other people have said this, but I am going to repeat it: If you get a
BSOD from running an unprivileged program, then there is something wrong
with your system.  This is slightly less true if you are running a
Windows 9x version of the "OS" but, even there, it is likely to be
something wrong with your setup.  The bottom line is that should not be
possible for a simple user app like setup.exe to cause this level of
destruction.

>The information I have garnered here has helped to maybe stick my toes in
>the fire again.  I will wait a while and see if there is any good soul that
>can explain the procedures for a manual setup. And if that is pie in the sky
>then at that point I will decide if walking around with a few less toes is
>worth it.

You really like to beat an analogy into the ground don't you?

Again, I think that you'll have lots of trouble if you try to install
cygwin manually.  I really don't believe that you'll be happy with the
results.  It's entirely possible that this just isn't the project for
you.

cgf

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 15:30             ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, George Hester, cygwin

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:39:15 -0400 Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> ROTFLMAO!!!!
>
> George Hester was the one who wanted all this stuff -- and I just got
> four (count 'em, FOUR) "Message not delivered, virus/sensitive content
> found" bounce messages from HIS account.  Apparently, George's email
> account is paranoid about ".README" files .zip files, in addition to
> panicking over .bat files...

I see them too and they don't appear to be coming from George's system.
It appears that some other sites are totally in terror of the possiblility
that someone might execute a batch file without looking at it.
Considering their level of competence, they may be right.

It kind of reminds me of the open source virus.  You have to build and
install it before running it.
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htm

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 14:49             ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: George Hester, cygwin

@ 2002-04-20 14:38           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: George Hester, cygwin

ROTFLMAO!!!!

George Hester was the one who wanted all this stuff -- and I just got
four (count 'em, FOUR) "Message not delivered, virus/sensitive content
found" bounce messages from HIS account.  Apparently, George's email
account is paranoid about ".README" files .zip files, in addition to
panicking over .bat files...

Well, I tried.

--Chuck

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 14:28         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester; +Cc: cygwin

George Hester wrote:

> The information I have garnered here has helped to maybe stick my toes in
> the fire again.  I will wait a while and see if there is any good soul that
> can explain the procedures for a manual setup. And if that is pie in the sky
> then at that point I will decide if walking around with a few less toes is
> worth it.

[Robert, Chris : this isn't intended to detract from setup.exe.  In
fact, I hope it actually serves to demonstrate how much setup.exe DOES
for you (since this DOESN'T do those things).  In the future, when
luddite reactionaries insist on installing cygwin by hand, point them to
this message with the appropriate disclaimers.  Hopefully we can
short-circuit future threads of this type.]

Okay, here:

Cygwin used to distribute a "bootstrap.zip" file that allowed
anti-setup.exe people to shoot themselves in the foot (or head).
However, in the recent reorganization of the cygwin ftp site, it went
away.  Well, never let it be said that the cygwin folks are
overprotective; if you want to shoot yourself in the foot we'll give you
the tools....

I don't guarantee that this will create a working cygwin installation on
your system.  I don't even guarantee that the scripts will run without
error.  I don't warrant the scripts against totally scrogging your
entire system.  If you use these scripts, you indemnify me and everybody
else on the planet against any damage they may or may not cause.

Neither I nor anyone else will support these scripts or answer any
further questions about them.  Neither I nor anyone else will support
any cygwin installation created by them.  You are totally, completely,
100% and in all other ways on your own.

That having been said, go here:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin-bootstrap/

and download bootstrap.zip.  Unpack it.  run bootstrap.bat from a
command prompt.  Afterwards, you may even be able to use the
manual_install.bash and manual_uninstall.bash script to (painfully)
maintain your system.  But then again, maybe not.

The scripts are attached here; bootstrap.zip contains them as well as
cygwin1.dll, tar.exe, gunzip.exe, gzip.exe, bunzip2.exe, mount.exe,
sh.exe, bash.exe, and the cygwin-1.3.10-1 package (total size: 1.7M).
bootstrap-src.zip contains all appropriate sources (total size: 8.4M).

--Chuck

[-- Attachment #2: bootstrap.README --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1440 bytes --]

This is absolutely, totally, and completely unsupported.
No one will answer any questions about it.  No one will
support a system that was installed using this method.

If it works, great.  If not, also great.  If it completely
destroys your system, it's your fault, not mine.

How to use:
  - unpack bootstrap.zip using your favorite unzipper
  - run "bootstrap.bat"
  - you now have the core cygwin kernel installed but almost
    nothing else.  There's bash.exe, sh.exe and a few utilities,
	 but you'd better install some packages.
  - the end.

You can also use "manual_install.bash" and "manual_uninstall.bash"
to add or remove cygwin packages.

What these scripts don't do:
  they don't parse filename / version numbers exactly the same
    as the official setup
  they don't handle upgrades (you have to uninstall and then install)
    -- which makes it difficult to upgrade the 'bash' package, for
	    instance. Ditto gzip, tar, bzip2, and cygwin itself.
  you have to manually correct the /etc/setup/installed.db file; these
    scripts will leave duplicate entries after a reinstall, and don't
	 remove uninstalled entries
  you don't get a handy shortcut for starting cygwin
  they do NOT understand prerequisites and dependencies -- it's even
    possible for the postinstall scripts to fail because they aren't
	 "saved" until the end, and the postinstall script might call an
	 executable that hasn't yet been installed.

[-- Attachment #3: bootstrap.bat --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1158 bytes --]

rem set this to the desired '/' location
rem other than the '/' vs. '\' difference, the following
rem two variable must be the same
set CYGROOT=C:\cygwin
set CYGROOT_FWDSLASH=C:/cygwin
rem set this to -t for text mounts
set BIN_OR_TEXT=-b
rem set this to -u for a non-system-global installation
set SYSTEM_OR_USER=-s

set CYGVER=1.3.10-1

mkdir %CYGROOT%
mkdir %CYGROOT%\usr
mkdir %CYGROOT%\bin
mkdir %CYGROOT%\lib
mkdir %CYGROOT%\etc
mkdir %CYGROOT%\etc\setup

mount %BIN_OR_TEXT% %SYSTEM_OR_USER% %CYGROOT_FWDSLASH% /
mount %BIN_OR_TEXT% %SYSTEM_OR_USER% -f %CYGROOT_FWDSLASH%/usr/bin /bin
mount %BIN_OR_TEXT% %SYSTEM_OR_USER% -f %CYGROOT_FWDSLASH%/usr/lib /lib
mount %BIN_OR_TEXT% %SYSTEM_OR_USER% --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive

bunzip2 -dc cygwin-%CYGVER%.tar.bz2 | tar -C / -x -v -f -
bunzip2 -dc cygwin-%CYGVER%.tar.bz2 | tar tvf - | gawk '{print $6}' | gzip > %CYGROOT%\etc\setup\cygwin.lst.gz

copy bunzip2.exe %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy tar.exe %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy gunzip.exe %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy sh.exe %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy gawk.exe %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy manual_install.bash %CYGROOT%\usr\bin
copy manual_uninstall.bash %CYGROOT%\usr\bin

[-- Attachment #4: manual_install.bash --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1523 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash
shopt -sq extglob

# NOTE: this uses a different algorithm
# for parsing the package name/version/release
# than setup.  However, it mostly works...
parseName() {
  REM=${1%%*([^-])}
  REL=${1##$REM}
  NEXT=${REM%%-}
  REM=${NEXT%%*([^-])}
  VER=${NEXT##$REM}
  PKG=${REM%%-}
}
do_postinstall() {
  while read line ; do
    case $line in
      etc/postinstall/*)
        `/$line`
         mv /$line /$line.done
         ;;
      *) ;;
    esac
  done < /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
}

# we need /etc/setup/installed.db so that 'cygcheck -c' will work
if [ ! -f /etc/setup/installed.db ] ; then
  echo "INSTALLED.DB 2" > /etc/setup/installed.db
fi

for fn in $* ; do
  case $fn in
    *-src.tar*) echo "I don't do -src packages" ;;
    *.tar.bz2)
	   parseName ${fn%%.tar.bz2}
		echo Installing $PKG  Version $VER  Release $REL
	   bunzip2 -dc $fn | tar -C / -x -v -f -
		bunzip2 -dc $fn | tar -t -v -f - | gawk '{print $6}' |\
		 > /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
		do_postinstall
		gzip /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
		echo "$PKG $fn 0" >> /etc/setup/installed.db
      ;;
	 *.tar.gz)
	   parseName ${fn%%.tar.gz}
		echo Installing $PKG  Version $VER  Release $REL
	   gunzip -dc $fn | tar -C / -x -v -f -
		gunzip -dc $fn | tar -t -v -f - | gawk '{print $6}' |\
		 > /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst.gz
		do_postinstall
		gzip /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
		echo "$PKG $fn 0" >> /etc/setup/installed.db
      ;;
	 *) echo bad filespec: $fn ;;
  esac
done

echo "It's up to you to sort and eliminate duplicates in"
echo "/etc/setup/installed.db"

[-- Attachment #5: manual_uninstall.bash --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1323 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash
shopt -sq extglob

# NOTE: this uses a different algorithm
# for parsing the package name/version/release
# than setup.  However, it mostly works...
parseName() {
  REM=${1%%*([^-])}
  REL=${1##$REM}
  NEXT=${REM%%-}
  REM=${NEXT%%*([^-])}
  VER=${NEXT##$REM}
  PKG=${REM%%-}
}
do_uninstall () {
  DO_POSTSCRIPT=no
  while read line ; do
    case $line in
      etc/postuninstall/*) DO_POSTSCRIPT=$line
      ;;
      */) # ignore directories
      ;;
      *) rm -f /$line
      ;;
    esac
  done < /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
  if [ "$DO_POSTSCRIPT" -ne "no" ] ; then
    `/$line`
    mv /$line /$line.done
  fi
}

for fn in $* ; do
  case $fn in
    *-src.tar*) echo "I don't do -src packages" ;;
    *.tar.bz2)
	   parseName ${fn%%.tar.bz2}
		echo Unnstalling $PKG  Version $VER  Release $REL
	   gunzip /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst.gz
		do_uninstall
		rm /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
		echo "$PKG $fn REMOVED" >> /etc/setup/installed.db
      ;;
	 *.tar.gz)
	   parseName ${fn%%.tar.gz}
		echo Uninstalling $PKG  Version $VER  Release $REL
	   gunzip /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst.gz
		do_uninstall
		rm /etc/setup/${PKG}.lst
		echo "$PKG $fn REMOVED" >> /etc/setup/installed.db
      ;;
	 *) echo bad filespec: $fn ;;
  esac
done

echo "It's up to you to remove the appropriate entries from"
echo "/etc/setup/installed.db"

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 11:21         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-20 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

At 01:51 PM 4/20/2002, George Hester wrote:
>Sort of.  Maybe it does work for 99% of the people out there.  I know
>nothing of that.  And yes, my toes are sensitive to things such as this.  If
>I lose my op sys it takes me months to get it back to the condition I had
>before its destruction.  You may not believe me but I assure you that is the
>case.
>
>The information I have garnered here has helped to maybe stick my toes in
>the fire again.  I will wait a while and see if there is any good soul that
>can explain the procedures for a manual setup. And if that is pie in the sky
>then at that point I will decide if walking around with a few less toes is
>worth it.

Clearly, you're suffering from phobias which this list is ill-equipped to
help you resolve.  Your best bet in that regard is to seek help from the
appropriate forum.

In terms of setup and BSOD issues, Rob is quite right in pointing out that
setup may have once or may now tickle an O/S bug on your system that causes
a BSOD for you but this is an O/S issue, not a setup or Cygwin one.  You want
to talk to M$ about that.  If setup is or was tickling this bug for you,
there is no permanent damage as a result.  It just means that you have to
reboot after it runs.  But I fear I'm stepping into the area of your phobia
so I'll abandon this argument.

With respect to the idea of waiting for someone to document installation
steps so that you can follow them, I fear again that you've missed the
point of this project.  If you're interested in finding this information
out and really want the answer, it's best to pursue it yourself.  Chris
Faylor has posted one possible script to do this.  Setup source is another
avenue.  Wait for whatever and whomever you want if that suits you but I
implore you to not bug the list about it in the meantime.  As near as I can
tell, your phobias have backed you into a corner and you prefer to complain
to the list about your resulting helplessness rather than taking some action
that will resolve your problems.

* Re: I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 11:17   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-20 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A Chase; +Cc: cygwin

Michael A Chase wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding how setup.exe became the source of all
> evil in the universe.  You had one BSOD months ago which may or may not
> have been caused by setup.exe and as a result you are unwilling to try
> another version of it ever again.
>
> A client level program like setup.exe shouldn't be able to cause a BSOD and
> it doesn't have any of the proprietary hooks into the OS that Microsoft's
> programs have, so I'm skeptical of your statement that it caused the BSOD.
> Was it the only non-OS process active on your machine at the time?
> Considering the number of BSODs caused by MS Word, MSIE, and MSOE, does
> that mean you've stopped using them as well?

I've had a number of BSODs on my machines when I happened to be using
cygwin setup.  HOWEVER, in EACH and EVERY case, I debugged the memory
dump -- and guess where the problem was?

McAfee antivirus.

McAfee processes run in kernel mode, it seems, because they intercept
every disk access.  (setup doesn't run in kernel mode, so it can't
trigger a kernel panic == BSOD).

The solution is simple -- and when I've followed this procedure, I've
never had a BSOD.

1) right-click on the little McAfee sheild emblem, choose Quick Enable,
and turn OFF system scan.
2) similarly, turn OFF download scan
3) turn OFF email scan
4) turn OFF internet filter

5) run setup

6) repeat 1-4, but turn 'em back on.

Now, you may worry about turning off virus protection when running an
install prograam -- but if you're really worried about it, you can do
the following:

a) do steps 1-6 above, but run setup in "download only" mode
b) Use your antivirus program and scan each tarball that setup downloaded
b-optional) you could also download the .md5 files from your favorite
cygwin mirror, and check the tarballs' signature...but since the
tarballs are unsigned, anybody who'd spoof the tarball could also spoof
the md5.  Signed tarballs are on the wishlist.(*)
c) repeat steps 1-6 above, but within setup, install from the local
directory you previously d/led into.

Note: To date, there has not been a single case of infected files being
distributed by the cygwin mirror system.  Although there have been a
number of false alarms.

--Chuck

(*) has anybody ported GnuPG to cygwin?  Would you mind supporting it
and adding it to the cygwin dist?

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20 11:02       ` George Hester
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-20 10:04       ` David Means
From: David Means @ 2002-04-20 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

IMHO, cygwin setup works like a champ.  I've install cygwin on 4
machiness in the past year, nary a BSOD.

Stick your toes back in.  The water was never that bad in the first
place.

;-)

David

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 12:35, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 03:19:40AM -0400, George Hester wrote:
> >Do you have all your toes?
>
> Sure.  My toes are not so sensitive that they become burned off if
> I encounter a problem with my system.
>
> I'm also the kind of guy who thinks that if something is working for 99%
> of the people out there and *I* have a problem that it is probably *my*
> problem.  So, often, I like to figure out what that problem is.
> Sometimes, if I don't have enough time or interest, I might wait to see
> if a new version of a program solves my problem but I never grow so
> averse to trying something new that I steadfastly avoid running a
> program because it once gave me problems.
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> cgf

{ snip }

--

The Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything:
           10x + 5x - 35 = x + 7

* Re: I am not going to let cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20  9:36     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-04-20  9:36 ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

@ 2002-04-20  0:21   ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-20  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Do you have all your toes?

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 02:51:45AM -0400, George Hester wrote:
> >Suggestion.  Let's consider a Manual Install Direction for us weenies
> >that lost a few toes trying to install this software in the past.
>
> You're making things way too hard for yourself.  Just run setup.exe
> and select "Install" rather than "Download".  Then everything will
> be installed automatically.  You don't have to unzip/bunzip anything
> by hand.  setup.exe has *never* required a manual step like this.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* I am not going to let Cygwin BSOD my Windows 2000 Server
@ 2002-04-20  0:02 George Hester
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-20  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I realize that at one time setup.exe might not have been all that it was
thought to be.  And that now it may be better.  But once burned many people
do not jump back in the flames.  Well I decided I would stick my little toe
in again and see the results.  I really thought there would be manual
install literature because of the way setup.exe let me download these files.
I had to un bzip2 them; ungz them; untar them and they are now sitting here
ready to be installed.  So I went looking for that Manual install.

Yeah right.  So I wrote here.  A few people have written to me telling me
that I am too dense to do it this way.  No I like to keep my little toes.  I

@ 2002-04-20  0:02 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-20  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin