* Expectations for Windows Programmers
@ 2002-08-23 15:44 horizonx
From: horizonx @ 2002-08-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am not a C programmer, but it sounds like I should be able to use gcc and
dlltool to build a Wintel DLL.

It is unclear from reading the Cygwin User's Guide if I will actually be
able to link this DLL with other programming languages outside the Cygwin
environment.

Is the Cygwin, gcc route a more straightforward way to compile a Linux,
POSIX compliant library than using a Wintel compliler?

Thanks,

Terry

* Re: Expectations for Windows Programmers
@ 2002-08-24 15:11 ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2002-08-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

horizonx@noos.fr wrote:
> I am not a C programmer, but it sounds like I should be able to use gcc and
> dlltool to build a Wintel DLL.
>
> It is unclear from reading the Cygwin User's Guide if I will actually be
> able to link this DLL with other programming languages outside the Cygwin
> environment.

It is theoretically possible, though you will have to thoroughly
understand the toolchain and DLL mechanisms.

You can build a cygwin-independent object file by compiling with
-mno-cygwin. You may need the "mingw" package to get windows headers for
  this.

Once you do this, you should be able to build a regular windows DLL, and
even generate .LIB export stubs for this DLL. However, I must confess
that I don't have references and man pages handy. Much of this
"knowledge" comes from when I ported the toolchain to an experimental
platform that is now defunct.

--
Shankar.

* RE: Expectations for Windows Programmers
@ 2002-08-25 11:09   ` horizonx
From: horizonx @ 2002-08-25 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Joshua and Shankar for the info.

Considering the wealth of source code available in the UNIX/LINUX community,
I felt it was newsworthy that a basic tool set is available for possibly
automating the conversion of open source libraries.

Within the OS survival game, this would amount to deep incursion into "enemy
territory".

Can you give any ballpark figure of the amount time it would take to convert
a "typical" library right now?

Thanks,

Terry

@ 2002-08-26  5:32 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-08-26  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Three and a half days.

@ 2002-08-24 14:41 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-08-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: horizonx

> It is unclear from reading the Cygwin User's Guide if I will actually be
> able to link this DLL with other programming languages
> outside the Cygwin environment.

Sounds like you may be more interested in mingw:

mingw.sourceforge.net