* Re: Req Help: sshd error: Read from socket failed: Connection aborted
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 Len Padilla
From: Len Padilla @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin openssh 3.5p1 does not work after upgrading McAfee antivirus from 6.0
to 7.0 (no firewall). Disabling HAWK allows openssh to function correctly.
Seems McAfee have changed the way they filter winsock traffic (for HAWK mail
content monitoring).

--
Len Padilla

* Re: Req Help: sshd error: Read from socket failed: Connection aborted
@ 2002-12-31  7:36     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-12-31  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Min Kim, cygwin

Min Kim wrote:
> Max,
>
> You're a genius. I did have Viruscan 7 installed but not the firewall.
> Everything works perfectly now with it uninstalled. I guess I'll have
> to go with Norton Antivirus. There isn't by chance a workaround for
> the McAfee Viruscan problem, is there?

I'm afraid not. As data points, I will mention that I run McAfee 4.5.1+SP1
works with no problems, and McAfee 6 has been reported to work as well.

PS to Cygwin list: Is it worth documenting this in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-version.README ? Or maybe even a warning in
ssh-host-config?

Max

* RE: Req Help: sshd error: Read from socket failed: Connection aborted
@ 2002-12-31  6:18   ` Min Kim
From: Min Kim @ 2002-12-31  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Max,

You're a genius. I did have Viruscan 7 installed but not the firewall.
Everything works perfectly now with it uninstalled. I guess I'll have to
go with Norton Antivirus. There isn't by chance a workaround for the
McAfee Viruscan problem, is there?

I did a search in the mailing list for "McAfee sshd" and saw Campbell
Fethers post detailing this problem and solution. Can't believe I missed
it before.

Thanks again,

Min Kim

From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-12-30 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Min Kim, cygwin

@ 2002-12-30 14:05 Min Kim
From: Min Kim @ 2002-12-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

If anyone could offer assistance, I would appreciate it.

I am unable to login to sshd after installation.

I am running cygwin 1.3.18-1 on Windows XP. I installed sshd by running
the ssh-host-config script and choosing not to enable privilege
separation. sshd is installed as a service and is started using
"cygrunsrv -S sshd".

When I try to log on to localhost I get the following:

$ ssh -v localhost
OpenSSH_3.5p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090608f
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/identity type 0
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.5p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.5p1 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.5p1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
Read from socket failed: Connection aborted
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x41b1b0(0x0)

When I try to log on to the server from a remote machine, I get the
following:

$ ssh -v 192.168.0.2
OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090603f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.2 [192.168.0.2] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/minkim/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.5p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.5p1 pat OpenSSH*
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
Connection closed by 192.168.0.2
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8063a9c(0x0)