* missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-27  4:47 Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
From: Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan @ 2020-07-27  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to make my default Python 3 to Python 3.7, but when I open the
version chooser, only Python 3.6 and 3.8 available.

Can I get Python 3.7 in this version chooser?

Screenshot attached.

Thank you.

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

[-- Attachment #2: python3_7missing.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31872 bytes --]

* Re: missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-27  6:02 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-07-27  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 27.07.2020 06:47, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make my default Python 3 to Python 3.7, but when I open the
> version chooser, only Python 3.6 and 3.8 available.
>
> Can I get Python 3.7 in this version chooser?

probably not, as by default the last one will be in any way proposed
the next time you will update python.
I still need to figure how to effectively manage the
3 python3.x in parallel

> Screenshot attached.
>
> Thank you.

all the content of that package is link to the 3.6 or 3.8 binary

$ ls -l $(cygcheck -l python3)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein  8 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/pydoc3 -> pydoc3.8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein 13 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 Marco Kein 46 Jun 15 21:21 /usr/share/man/man1/python3.1.gz

if you install python37 package and than modify the link
by yourself to point to pydoc3.7 and python3.7m.exe
than python3 will execute python3.7

Question: any reason to not use python 3.8 ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-27  6:39   ` Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
From: Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan @ 2020-07-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marco,

Thank you for the information.

It's my habit to use the 2nd last stable release to have a more stable
environment.

Also, I personally believe not all libraries out there support Python 3.8
yet, but a majority of them does support Python 3.7.

As there is currently no option to set Python 3.7 as default for python3,
then I will hard code my script with #!/bin/env python3.7

Really hope the option is there.

Thank you.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On 27.07.2020 06:47, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to make my default Python 3 to Python 3.7, but when I open the
> > version chooser, only Python 3.6 and 3.8 available.
> >
> > Can I get Python 3.7 in this version chooser?
>
> probably not, as by default the last one will be in any way proposed
> the next time you will update python.
> I still need to figure how to effectively manage the
> 3 python3.x in parallel
>

> > Screenshot attached.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> all the content of that package is link to the 3.6 or 3.8 binary
>
> $ ls -l $(cygcheck -l python3)
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein  8 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/pydoc3 -> pydoc3.8
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein 13 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8.exe
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 Marco Kein 46 Jun 15 21:21 /usr/share/man/man1/python3.1.gz
>
> if you install python37 package and than modify the link
> by yourself to point to pydoc3.7 and python3.7m.exe
> than python3 will execute python3.7
>

> Question: any reason to not use python 3.8 ?
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

* RE: missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-27 16:02   ` Allen Hewes
From: Allen Hewes @ 2020-07-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Question: any reason to not use python 3.8 ?

For me, it's because when you moved to 3.8 from 3.6, a "core" (popular?) number of python38-* packages weren't moved to 3.8 either. I didn't want 3 Pythons installed b/c of the move to 3.8. And I didn't want to add to the packages (the handful of python37-* I use) I build/maintain myself for my Cygwin installs.

Currently, I have to change Setup for those Python packages for 3.8 I don't want upgraded/installed. It's an annoyance but it is what it is.

Why can't Cygwin pick one Python horse and ride it now that Python 2.7 is gone?

/allen

________________________________

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, and any attachments and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender.

* Re: missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-28  7:09     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-07-28  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 27.07.2020 18:02, Allen Hewes via Cygwin wrote:

>> Question: any reason to not use python 3.8 ?
>>

> For me, it's because when you moved to 3.8 from 3.6, a "core" (popular?) number of python38-* packages weren't moved to 3.8 either. I didn't want 3 Pythons installed b/c of the move to 3.8. And I didn't want to add to the packages (the handful of python37-* I use) I build/maintain myself for my Cygwin installs.

move is in progress. Around a third of packages are already in place.
Anything you are particularly missing ?

> Currently, I have to change Setup for those Python packages for 3.8 I don't want upgraded/installed. It's an annoyance but it is what it is.

same on other distri.
Debian seems to provide 3.5, 3.7 and 3.8 plus starting with 3.9

> Why can't Cygwin pick one Python horse and ride it now that Python 2.7 is gone?

current horse is 3.6, next horse is 3.8

In the meantime we are also changing rider as the most expert
is not anymore available

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-March/039878.html

> /allen

Regards
Marco

* RE: missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version
@ 2020-07-28 20:17       ` Allen Hewes
From: Allen Hewes @ 2020-07-28 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > For me, it's because when you moved to 3.8 from 3.6, a "core" (popular?)
> number of python38-* packages weren't moved to 3.8 either. I didn't want 3
> Pythons installed b/c of the move to 3.8. And I didn't want to add to the
> packages (the handful of python37-* I use) I build/maintain myself for my
> Cygwin installs.
>
> move is in progress. Around a third of packages are already in place.
> Anything you are particularly missing ?

Hi Marco,

Here's a list:
-asn1crypto
-crypto
-cryptography
-lockfile
-openssl
-pyasn1
-pyasn1-modules

> > Currently, I have to change Setup for those Python packages for 3.8 I don't
> want upgraded/installed. It's an annoyance but it is what it is.
>
> same on other distri.
> Debian seems to provide 3.5, 3.7 and 3.8 plus starting with 3.9
>

> > Why can't Cygwin pick one Python horse and ride it now that Python 2.7 is
> gone?
>
> current horse is 3.6, next horse is 3.8
>
> In the meantime we are also changing rider as the most expert is not
> anymore available
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-March/039878.html

I get the choice aspect. I don't get the Debian aspect. Out of the handful of packages I am handling for my own needs, lots of the patchsets are from Fedora. Cygwin feels more "Fedora-ish" to me than it does Debian. Even the Fedora guys have picked one Python horse to ride. They even have a unversioned Python package to make "it feel" more transparent (the major version change) for end-uses, which I like:

$ lsb_release --release  --description
Release:        31

$ python -V
Python 3.7.7

$ which python
/usr/bin/python

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/python
python-unversioned-command-3.7.7-3.fc31.noarch

I know this goes against all the PEPs, but I prefer it "When Things Just Work" out of the box. It's been very transparent for my Python usage. I think Fedora 33 will start to remove older Python versions/packages from the code/build repos, they won't be available for install.

I would like to help Cygwin but I don't have bandwidth to help with 3 or 4 generations of Python.

Oddly, out of the packages I build "test" versions for, they are Yaakov's handiwork. It's nice work and I feel at home working on/in his work. Feels very mingw-w64-ish/Fedora-ish to me, both of which I know quite well.

Thank you for picking up the work.

/allen