* compiled screen-3.9.8 but doesn'r run :°°(
@ 2001-04-24  1:00 Patrick Ohnewein
From: Patrick Ohnewein @ 2001-04-24  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please help,
I downloaded the src for screen-3.9.8.

Patched 2 lines in 2 files of it.

So it compiled, ohh I was happe ;)

But starting it, I get the following:
unofficial$ screen
Directory /tmp/uscreens/S-Patrick must have mode 700.

Now Patrick is my user name and I suppose it is some socket locking or
stuff like that, which will be done in that dir, but I really don't
know, I am a newbie.

Now I am able to set mode 700 to that dir, using
$ chmod 700 /tmp/uscreens/S-Patrick

but than he complains about
Directory '/tmp/uscreens' must have mode 777.

which I am not able to set, anymore. I suppose because I am in the group
None, but I don't know how to create groups and how to add me to one.

Here the ls output:
/tmp$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 patrick  None            0 Apr 24 09:22 screens
drwxr-xr-x   3 patrick  None            0 Apr 24 09:44 uscreens

Even I donna know if this would fix the real problem, I just wonna run
screen, and the only port I've found was
Glenn_s Cygwin port of Screen-3.07.06 (FAU) 25-Nov-98
which had some trouble with my prompt settings.

Would bge very glad if someone could point me to the right direction, I
am sure there are lots of u using screen.

thx pazzo

p.s. include a direct cc to my mail adress, couse on the mailing list is
soooo much traffic, I even didn't manage to unsubscribe (would like only
the digests), but thats another story :)

|  Save software competition, use Linux and Java!
|
|  Also visit http://www.lugbz.org the Linux User Group in Southtyrol!
|
|  Public PGP KEY: http://www.lugbz.org/PGP_PatrickOhnewein.asc

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

* Re: compiled screen-3.9.8 but doesn'r run :°°(
@ 2001-04-24  1:11 ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2001-04-24  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Ohnewein; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Tuesday, 24 April, 2001 Patrick Ohnewein pohnewein@prodata.it wrote:

PO> Now I am able to set mode 700 to that dir, using
PO> $ chmod 700 /tmp/uscreens/S-Patrick

PO> but than he complains about
PO> Directory '/tmp/uscreens' must have mode 777.

PO> which I am not able to set, anymore. I suppose because I am in the group
PO> None, but I don't know how to create groups and how to add me to one.

take a look at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

* Re: Re: compiled screen-3.9.8 but doesn'r run :°°(
@ 2001-04-24  1:24   ` Patrick Ohnewein
From: Patrick Ohnewein @ 2001-04-24  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda

thx will check it out.

A little critic, it's really difficult to find ported software for
cygwin, most of the times the links are broken or old, ...
I would like to see a sort of freshmeat only with the tar.gz of ported
software on cygwin site.

Compliments for the installer, that's really well done!

thx again
cu pazzo

@ 2001-04-24  8:22     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-24  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:24:43AM +0200, Patrick Ohnewein wrote:
>thx will check it out.
>
>A little critic, it's really difficult to find ported software for
>cygwin, most of the times the links are broken or old, ...
>I would like to see a sort of freshmeat only with the tar.gz of ported
>software on cygwin site.

A little criticism: If the best you can do is say "most of the times the
links are broken or old" and you never provide any *specific* feedback,
then the links will probably continue to be broken or old.

If you, or anyone notices a problem don't just sigh and shake your head
sadly, or pound your fist and kick the dog.  Report the problem here
so that we can rectify the problem.

I don't know why it is so very hard for people to realize that we need
details to correct problems.  Sure, I could now start testing all of
the ported software links individually.  Why should I have to duplicate
the effort that you've already gone to, though?

This is a volunteer effort.  You can contribute by providing specific
information whether it is for the web site or for the Cygwin packages.

cgf

* RE: Re: compiled screen-3.9.8 but doesn'r run :°°(
@ 2001-04-24  9:10     ` Dr. Carsten Bormann
From: Dr. Carsten Bormann @ 2001-04-24  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Ohnewein, egor duda

> A little critic, it's really difficult to find ported software for
> cygwin, most of the times the links are broken or old, ...
> I would like to see a sort of freshmeat only with the tar.gz of ported
> software on cygwin site.

What's wrong with the screen port that is pointed to from www.cygwin.com?
I'm using this all the time.

Gruesse, Carsten