* fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization
@ 2011-08-04 14:05 Freidin, Alex (Alex)
From: Freidin, Alex (Alex) @ 2011-08-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
Hope this helps someone and please update the BLODA list. I got an error message: "fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization" when running Cygwin GCC 3.4.4 from Eclipse on a new Dell Latitude E6420 and E6520 laptops with Windows 7 64-bit. Installing the latest Cygwin 1.7 did not help. Uninstalling the software listed in http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda also did not prove useful. After search and trial, I found that it's caused by NVIDIA graphics driver for NVS 4200M laptop graphics card. The laptops had version 8.17.12.6696 of the driver installed and after upgrading the driver to the latest from NVIDIA website (ver 8.17.12.7533) the problem was resolved.

Thanks,
Alex

* Re: fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization
@ 2011-08-04 14:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-08-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug  4 15:05, Freidin, Alex (Alex) wrote:
> Hi,
> Hope this helps someone and please update the BLODA list. I got an
> error message: "fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before
> initialization" when running Cygwin GCC 3.4.4 from Eclipse on a new
> Dell Latitude E6420 and E6520 laptops with Windows 7 64-bit.
> Installing the latest Cygwin 1.7 did not help. Uninstalling the
> software listed in
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda also did not
> prove useful. After search and trial, I found that it's caused by
> NVIDIA graphics driver for NVS 4200M laptop graphics card. The laptops
> had version 8.17.12.6696 of the driver installed and after upgrading
> the driver to the latest from NVIDIA website (ver 8.17.12.7533) the
> problem was resolved.

This is weird!  Cygwin's not doing anything at the GUI frontier, so
how can a graphic adapter drive influence Cygwin?!?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization
@ 2011-08-04 17:51   ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2011-08-04 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Aug  4 15:05, Freidin, Alex (Alex) wrote:
> > After search and trial, I found that it's caused by
> > NVIDIA graphics driver for NVS 4200M laptop graphics card. The laptops
> > had version 8.17.12.6696 of the driver installed and after upgrading
> > the driver to the latest from NVIDIA website (ver 8.17.12.7533) the
> > problem was resolved.
>
> This is weird!  Cygwin's not doing anything at the GUI frontier, so
> how can a graphic adapter drive influence Cygwin?!?

Just a WAG, maybe it's not the driver itself but rather some associated NVidia
service that's always running to "help" the driver.  I've always disabled those
service(s) on installation because I can't stand extra stuff running on my
machines, so I can't verify they're BLODA.  FWIW, there are already other
problematic graphics adapter drivers on the list: the ATI Catalyst drivers.

..mark

* Re: fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization
@ 2011-08-04 18:23     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-08-04 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug  4 17:51, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > On Aug  4 15:05, Freidin, Alex (Alex) wrote:
> > > After search and trial, I found that it's caused by
> > > NVIDIA graphics driver for NVS 4200M laptop graphics card. The laptops
> > > had version 8.17.12.6696 of the driver installed and after upgrading
> > > the driver to the latest from NVIDIA website (ver 8.17.12.7533) the
> > > problem was resolved.
> >
> > This is weird!  Cygwin's not doing anything at the GUI frontier, so
> > how can a graphic adapter drive influence Cygwin?!?
>
> Just a WAG, maybe it's not the driver itself but rather some associated NVidia
> service that's always running to "help" the driver.

Yeah, that makes sense.

>   FWIW, there are already other
> problematic graphics adapter drivers on the list: the ATI Catalyst drivers.

Indeed.  I add the NVIDIA and a few words about versions.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization
@ 2011-08-08 16:43   ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2011-08-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Aug  4 15:05, Freidin, Alex (Alex) wrote:
> > After search and trial, I found that it's caused by NVIDIA graphics
> > driver for NVS 4200M laptop graphics card. The laptops had version
> > 8.17.12.6696 of the driver installed and after upgrading the driver to
> > the latest from NVIDIA website (ver 8.17.12.7533) the problem was
> > resolved.
>
> This is weird!  Cygwin's not doing anything at the GUI frontier, so
> how can a graphic adapter drive influence Cygwin?!?

Weird, yes.  Unprecedented, unfortunately no:

Brian Ford
Staff Realtime Software Engineer
VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
FlightSafety International
the best safety device in any aircraft is a well-trained crew...