* What is the porformance lost running cygwin?
@ 2002-09-11  9:12 Ming Deng
From: Ming Deng @ 2002-09-11  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I noticed it is pretty slow running commands in bash under cygwin, could
someone tell us what is the cause, how slow is expected?

cheers,

Ming

* Re: What is the porformance lost running cygwin?
@ 2002-09-11  9:47 ` J. Scott Edwards
From: J. Scott Edwards @ 2002-09-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ming Deng; +Cc: cygwin

Could you give an example of what is slow?  Do you mean compared with
running the command under DOS?  I have been using cygwin for over a year
and I haven't noticed any significant problems.

@ 2002-09-11  9:54   ` Ming Deng
From: Ming Deng @ 2002-09-11  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Scott Edwards; +Cc: cygwin

J. Scott Edwards wrote:

>Could you give an example of what is slow?  Do you mean compared with
>running the command under DOS?  I have been using cygwin for over a year
>and I haven't noticed any significant problems.
>
>On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Ming Deng wrote:
>

>>I noticed it is pretty slow running commands in bash under cygwin, could
>>someone tell us what is the cause, how slow is expected?
>>
>>cheers,
>>
>>Ming

My recent experience was running "cp -r src dest", "scp -r src dest",
which I expected it would be as close at linux or windows, in term of
speed, but actually it was far slow.

* Re: What is the porformance lost running cygwin?
@ 2002-09-11 11:10     ` J. Scott Edwards
From: J. Scott Edwards @ 2002-09-11 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ming Deng; +Cc: cygwin

I just compared various things on this machine with a dirctory with over
100 files about 33 mb:

cygwin bash cp -pr src dest - 33 seconds
dos xcopy src dest /E - 15 seconds
windows edit->copy edit->paste 42 seconds
linux (different machine 600 MHz same files) cp -pr src dest - 25 seconds

I don't think this is that much slower?

-Scott