* Re: accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh
@ 2002-09-10 10:53 Scott Evans
From: Scott Evans @ 2002-09-10 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> This is expected behavior if sshd is running as LocalSystem and you used
> publickey authentication when you logged in.  On my Win2k box, I can
> access shares if I use password authentication.

No way -- really?  I'll have to try it.

That behavior seems pretty surprising to me; why should the type of
authentication end you up with any more or less priveleges?  And for that
matter, why would *password* auth be treated as "more secure" than
publickey?

> Alternatively, you can run the sshd process as a specific user.  If you
> then use pubkey authentication (and are logging in as the user running
> sshd), you'll also have share access.

hm.  I suppose I could do that though it "feels" wrong since there are,
in face, multiple user accounts on this machine.

Sigh -- sometimes the line between Cygwin and Windows still confuses me.
Especially when there's no "su" that I know of.

Thanks for the tip, Dave...

scott

* Re: accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh
@ 2002-09-11  9:56       ` Scott Evans
From: Scott Evans @ 2002-09-11  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:45:58AM -0700, Scott Evans wrote:
> > In my case, I'm running on a workgroup and the shares on other machines
> > are shared to *everyone*.  So it seems like I should indeed be able to get
> > to them, regardless of who I am.
>
> Everyone is not everyone :-)
>
> There's a difference between shares which allow anonymous access and
> shares which allow access to every authenticated user.  The latter
> are demanding password authentication and therefore are not open to
> processes under a non-password context switch.  Of course I don't
> know which of them are used in your environment.

I don't either, since I'm using "simple networking" under XP for the
time being.  Under the "sharing" settings, I have "share this folder
on the network" checked, and "allow network users to change my files".
Those are the only options available with "simple networking".

--
 scott evans :: www.antisleep.com

* Re: accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh
@ 2002-09-11  1:39     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-09-11  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:45:58AM -0700, Scott Evans wrote:
> > This is really a good thing.  Basically, the sshd daemon can not switch
> > user contexts within the domain without a password.  If that weren't the
> > case, a user with only local Admin rights could use ssh to become _any
> > user_ in the domain without ever providing a password for that user!
>
> I guess this is where things get a little funny -- Windows has a "domain
> administrator" while unix only has root on individual machines.
>
> In my case, I'm running on a workgroup and the shares on other machines
> are shared to *everyone*.  So it seems like I should indeed be able to get
> to them, regardless of who I am.

Everyone is not everyone :-)

There's a difference between shares which allow anonymous access and
shares which allow access to every authenticated user.  The latter
are demanding password authentication and therefore are not open to
processes under a non-password context switch.  Of course I don't know
which of them are used in your environment.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: accessing shared drives when logged in via ssh
@ 2002-09-10 12:21   ` Scott Evans
From: Scott Evans @ 2002-09-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rothenberger; +Cc: cygwin

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0209101040370.980-100000@oontz.dissonant.org>
@ 2002-09-10 11:16 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2002-09-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Evans; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-09-09 16:10 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2002-09-09 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Evans; +Cc: cygwin

This is expected behavior if sshd is running as LocalSystem and you used
publickey authentication when you logged in.  On my Win2k box, I can
access shares if I use password authentication.  Alternatively, you can
run the sshd process as a specific user.  If you then use pubkey
authentication (and are logging in as the user running sshd), you'll
also have share access.

Dave

@ 2002-09-09 15:44 Scott Evans