* what's the software for making slide under cygwin, please?
@ 2004-03-01 22:47 Michael Chen
From: Michael Chen @ 2004-03-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: what's the software for making slide under cygwin, please?
@ 2004-03-02  2:54 ` Gregory Borota
From: Gregory Borota @ 2004-03-02  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Chen; +Cc: cygwin

You can use LaTeX for that. There are different packages depending on
what kind of slides you want to make. (here some I know of: prosper,
beamer, seminar, slides, etc.) Some of them take advantage of the
powerful presentation features of Adobe PDF (about which I think many of
us 'Windows also' people don't know at all).

HTH,
Greg

* RE: what's the software for making slide under cygwin, please?
@ 2004-03-02  5:27   ` Michael Chen
From: Michael Chen @ 2004-03-02  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Borota; +Cc: cygwin

Dear Greg,

Thanks for the reply. What I really want is something to make presentation
slides in seminar, something like Lyx, which is the drive for me to install
cygwin-:)

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Michael Chen

@ 2004-03-02  6:15     ` Gregory Borota
From: Gregory Borota @ 2004-03-02  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Chen; +Cc: cygwin

PLEASE, configure your email client not to show email addresses in
reply!!! (or if you can't take this off list)

I work with xemacs (under cygwin) and yap (I can give you nice pointers
on how to configure them so that you can get real WYSIWYG). I don't like
Lyx, LaTeX is so nice and intuitive that IMHO you don't need something
like that to stand in the way (I don't think LyX would even work with
slides but maybe latest versions are different from what I know LyX to be).

Look, I try to set up a group for help, discussion, etc. about (La)Tex
under cygwin and Windows. If you join in you will automatically get all
those pointers on how to set this up. The group is found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wintex/ (you need to  have or create a
Yahoo account to join)

IMO no commercial package can come even nearer to what you can get with
cygwin and miktex and all the other packages I mention in the document
you can get when you join.

Greg

@ 2004-03-02  6:23       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2004-03-02  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I think it's pretty unreasonable to rely on every individual posting to
this list to obfuscate email addresses in their submissions. It's
inherently error prone, will never be done anywhere near thoroughly
enough and properly is a responsibility of the list software.

IMO, of course.

Randall Schulz

@ 2004-03-02  6:43         ` Gregory Borota
From: Gregory Borota @ 2004-03-02  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Randall,

I agree with you. Maybe the master wants to take notice.

Greg

@ 2004-03-02  6:43         ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2004-03-02  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yes, the mailing-list software could be changed to obfuscate
them. Is it so hard ?

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: what's the software for making slide under cygwin, please?
@ 2004-03-02 15:15           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-03-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:42:18AM -0600, Gregory Borota wrote:
>I agree with you. Maybe the master wants to take notice.

Or, maybe, a moments reflection would lead us to surmise that this is
not a new subject and maybe it's already been discussed?