* Installin CYGWIN
@ 1999-06-18 12:14 E. S. Venkatraman
From: E. S. Venkatraman @ 1999-06-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have downloaded the latest version of cygwin (full.exe) and installed
it in drive f: on a Pentium-II running Windows-NT 4.0 sp4 (as a user and
not as an administrator.  When I execute Cygwin B20 from the start menu
I get a window with a single line

     bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

However the window does not let me type any command let alone use
"mkdir -p /tmp" to create the tmp directory.  I have searched all the
istallation instructions and FAQs and couldn't find any answer.

My cygnus.bat file is given below:

     @ECHO OFF
     SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
     SET PATH=f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin;%PATH%
     bash

Thanks.
Venkat

* Installin CYGWIN
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` E. S. Venkatraman
From: E. S. Venkatraman @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have downloaded the latest version of cygwin (full.exe) and installed
it in drive f: on a Pentium-II running Windows-NT 4.0 sp4 (as a user and
not as an administrator.  When I execute Cygwin B20 from the start menu
I get a window with a single line

     bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

However the window does not let me type any command let alone use
"mkdir -p /tmp" to create the tmp directory.  I have searched all the
istallation instructions and FAQs and couldn't find any answer.

My cygnus.bat file is given below:

     @ECHO OFF
     SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
     SET PATH=f:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin;%PATH%
     bash

Thanks.
Venkat

* RE: Installin CYGWIN
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Eddelbuettel, Dirk
From: Eddelbuettel, Dirk @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com',
	Eddelbuettel, Dirk, 'E. S. Venkatraman',
	cygwin

		Yowza.  The default mount point for the / is the root of the
device upon which
		it is resides.  To correct this problem all that needs to
happen is from MSDOS
		do `mkdir F:\tmp'.

You ignored the part of the original mail which stated User rather than
Admin rights. Same for me here, and prohibits using C:\, as well as many
other directories.

		Besides, didn't you read the warning about spaces in path
names.  Not a good
		idea at all.

So what?  Works with everything but ActivePerl.  And as that is not a Cygwin
program, I put it into into C:\Winnt.

The beauty is of course that it still runs fine under Cygwin via a symlink
from /usr/bin/perl to its actual location.

* RE: Installin CYGWIN
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddelbuettel, Dirk, 'E. S. Venkatraman', cygwin

--- "Eddelbuettel, Dirk" <Dirk.Eddelbuettel@nesbittburns.com> wrote:

> 		 When I execute Cygwin B20 from the start menu
> 		I get a window with a single line
>
> 		     bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
>
> 		However the window does not let me type any command let
> alone use
> 		"mkdir -p /tmp" to create the tmp directory.  I have
> searched all the
> 		istallation instructions and FAQs and couldn't find any
> answer.
>
> It is hidden somewhere.  Just decide on where you want to have the Unix /
> directory. I choose C:\My Documents\.
> Then, inside a bash shell, do

Yowza.  The default mount point for the / is the root of the device upon which
it is resides.  To correct this problem all that needs to happen is from MSDOS
do `mkdir F:\tmp'.

Besides, didn't you read the warning about spaces in path names.  Not a good
idea at all.

===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't include me)

From: Eddelbuettel, Dirk @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'E. S. Venkatraman', cygwin

		 When I execute Cygwin B20 from the start menu
		I get a window with a single line

		     bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

		However the window does not let me type any command let
alone use
		"mkdir -p /tmp" to create the tmp directory.  I have
searched all the
		istallation instructions and FAQs and couldn't find any
answer.

It is hidden somewhere.  Just decide on where you want to have the Unix /
directory. I choose C:\My Documents\.
Then, inside a bash shell, do

	mount c:\mydocu~1  /

Now you have /. Create other directories at leisure, or mount existing ones.
Ie, I have

	mount c:\TEMP /tmp

or simply do

	cd /; mkdir /tmp

The one thing to mention is C:\TEMP mounted as /TEMP to make non-cygwin
programs and cygwin programs cooperate. Ie Gnuplot sees  C:\TEMP\foo.dat
whereas Octave calls it /TEMP/foo.dat.   Somewhat ugly, but works...

~> df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
c:\mydocu~1\usr      6297448 2758576  3538872     44%   /usr
c:\mydocu~1\home     6297448 2758576  3538872     44%   /home
C:\mydocu~1\bin      6297448 2758576  3538872     44%   /bin
c:\TEMP              6297448 2758576  3538872     44%   /TEMP
c:\mydocu~1          6297448 2758576  3538872     44%   /

* RE: Installin CYGWIN
@ 1999-06-18 13:02 Eddelbuettel, Dirk
From: Eddelbuettel, Dirk @ 1999-06-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com',