* How do I split binaries to manageable chunks
@ 1999-06-21  5:05 William S. Shu
From: William S. Shu @ 1999-06-21  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,
I tried using the cygwin-20 split command (under windows 95) to split binary
files into manageable chunks.  This is for them to be transmitted down noisy
lines, and be reconstituted (cf. your split version of full.exe).
Unfortunately, it seems to handle only text files.

My question is/are:
1)    Could you please indicate to split and later recombine binary file(s)?
2)    Do I need to convert the file to a text equivalent before using split?
If so, what software can I use to do this?

Thanks

William.

* textifying, splitting, rejoining binaries
@ 1999-06-21  6:10 ` Joshua Rosen
From: Joshua Rosen @ 1999-06-21  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William S. Shu, cygwin

"William S. Shu" wrote:

> My question is/are:
> 1)    Could you please indicate to split and later recombine binary file(s)?

    Use the `cat' command to recombine split files.

> 2)    Do I need to convert the file to a text equivalent before using split?
> If so, what software can I use to do this?

    Apparently--try uuencoding the file; GNU uuencode is distributed as part of
the GNU `shar utilities' set, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sharutils/ and try compiling.

        -Rzn.

* Re: textifying, splitting, rejoining binaries
@ 1999-06-21  6:42   ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 1999-06-21  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Rosen; +Cc: William S. Shu, cygwin

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Joshua Rosen wrote:

> "William S. Shu" wrote:
>
> > My question is/are:
> > 1)    Could you please indicate to split and later recombine binary file(s)?
>
>     Use the `cat' command to recombine split files.

To split, use the `split -b' command.
Do NOT use `cat' to recombine binary files on a text mounted system.
I have never tried `split' on a text mounted system...

Pierre

* How do I split binaries to manageable chunks
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` William S. Shu
From: William S. Shu @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Joshua Rosen