* GDB configuration for multi-arch
@ 2023-10-11 17:26 Old, Oliver
From: Old, Oliver @ 2023-10-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good evening!

I have been looking for a way to debug programs on multiple targets of different architectures via gdbserver. It seems that Cygwin currently doesn't provide a gdb configured for this scenario.

The gdb from the Cygwin distribution isn't configured with '--enable-targets=all'. I'm now building a gdb with the proper configuration locally, but it would be quite helpful if Cygwin already included a gdb built with that flag.

Is there a specific reason why this isn't being done?

Best regards

Oliver Old
Software Developer

LÖWEN ENTERTAINMENT GmbH
Saarlandstraße 240
55411 Bingen am Rhein
T: +49 6721 407319
Email: oliver.old@loewen.de
www.loewen.de / www.admiral-games.de

* Re: GDB configuration for multi-arch
@ 2023-10-16 15:11 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-16 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/10/2023 18:26, Old, Oliver via Cygwin wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> I have been looking for a way to debug programs on multiple targets of different architectures via gdbserver. It seems that Cygwin currently doesn't provide a gdb configured for this scenario.
>
> The gdb from the Cygwin distribution isn't configured with '--enable-targets=all'. I'm now building a gdb with the proper configuration locally, but it would be quite helpful if Cygwin already included a gdb built with that flag.
>
> Is there a specific reason why this isn't being done?

Thanks for pointing this out.

This is just an oversight, I think.

I'll look at adding that for the forthcoming gdb 14.1, assuming it
doesn't make the package ridiculously larger.

* Re: GDB configuration for multi-arch
@ 2023-10-16 16:14   ` Old, Oliver
From: Old, Oliver @ 2023-10-16 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening!

The difference in size is indeed a whopping 19M (8M -> 27M). That might be why the Msys devs chose to split their gdb into a main package and a multi-arch package that depends on the main package.

In case you decide to build gdb with 'enable-targets=all', definitely also configure with '--disable-sim' or it'll build simulators for the additional architectures.

Apologies in advance if my mail client does anything weird when replying to this list. This is my first time using a mailing list and I'm forced to use MS Outlook.

Best regards

Oliver Old
Software Developer

LÖWEN ENTERTAINMENT GmbH