* Inconsistent results from ls
@ 2022-01-12  2:30 David
From: David @ 2022-01-12  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Folks

I tried executing 'ls -l' on a file. I addressed the file in various
ways, with my current directory (in Windows) set to c:\temp

ls -l test.txt
ls -l /cygdrive/c/temp/test.txt
ls -l
ls -l *
ls -l c:/temp/test.txt

In all cases, the owner, group, date and size are the same, as I
would hope them to be.  However, the last result showed a mode
setting displayed was different than the value shown in the
others.  This doesn't seem right, and I'm not sure what the correct
value should be.  Any ideas?

David

Pasted from my example, with the name of the owner changed to "myself":

c:\temp>ls -l test.txt
-rwxrwx---+ 1 myself None 14 Jan 11 18:23 test.txt

c:\temp>ls -l /cygdrive/c/temp/test.txt
-rwxrwx---+ 1 myself None 14 Jan 11 18:23 /cygdrive/c/temp/test.txt

c:\temp>ls -l
total 1
-rwxrwx---+ 1 myself None 14 Jan 11 18:23 test.txt

c:\temp>ls -l *
-rwxrwx---+ 1 myself None 14 Jan 11 18:23 test.txt

c:\temp>ls -l c:/temp/test.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 myself None 14 Jan 11 18:23 c:/temp/test.txt

c:\temp>

* Re: Inconsistent results from ls
@ 2022-01-12  9:13 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-01-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 11 18:30, David wrote:
> Folks
>
> I tried executing 'ls -l' on a file. I addressed the file in various ways,
> with my current directory (in Windows) set to c:\temp
>
> ls -l test.txt
> ls -l /cygdrive/c/temp/test.txt
> ls -l
> ls -l *
> ls -l c:/temp/test.txt
>

> In all cases, the owner, group, date and size are the same, as I would hope
> them to be.  However, the last result showed a mode setting displayed was
> different than the value shown in the others.  This doesn't seem right, and
> I'm not sure what the correct value should be.  Any ideas?

As soon as you use Windows path syntax, file ACLs are ignored
and permissions are just faked.

Corinna