* Fwd: Kernel stack trace for Winows 10 blue screen when running Cygwin?
       [not found] <CALXu0UfBK0+tYO_-3rgvZhpmKh8z4aVqMJMZ2=LfFmuJ1Vsmzw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-08-07  9:29 ` Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-08-07  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Forwarding to cygwin@cygwin.com

Honestly I find it deeply concerning that a plain, unprivileged user
can Bluescreen a machine, and more so that it happens during normal
Cygwin usage.

Ced

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-08-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cedric Blancher; +Cc: cygwin

On Aug  7 11:29, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> Forwarding to cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> Honestly I find it deeply concerning that a plain, unprivileged user
> can Bluescreen a machine, and more so that it happens during normal
> Cygwin usage.

Same here.  Cygwin is userspace only!

If any call in Cygwin can generate a bluescreen, it's a bug in the
kernel or in the driver.  Naturally, we have neither control over the
kernel, nor over the NTFS driver.  You might want to open a support case
with Microsoft.

Corinna

@ 2023-08-07 10:43     ` Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-08-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 at 11:55, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Aug  7 11:29, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> > Forwarding to cygwin@cygwin.com
> >
> > Honestly I find it deeply concerning that a plain, unprivileged user
> > can Bluescreen a machine, and more so that it happens during normal
> > Cygwin usage.
>
> Same here.  Cygwin is userspace only!
>
> If any call in Cygwin can generate a bluescreen, it's a bug in the
> kernel or in the driver.  Naturally, we have neither control over the
> kernel, nor over the NTFS driver.  You might want to open a support case
> with Microsoft.

Well, a colleague is handling that. The feedback sent to her however was that:
- Cygwin is not a Windows product
- We should WSL instead
- Cygwin might make use private Windows apis
- We should run this by the "Cygwin company"

It is my turn now to provide a kernel stack trace to prove them wrong
- IF I can manage to make one. That's why I am asking for help here.

HELP!

Ced

* Re: Kernel stack trace for Winows 10 blue screen when running Cygwin?
@ 2023-08-07 11:23       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-08-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cedric Blancher; +Cc: cygwin

On Aug  7 12:43, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 at 11:55, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug  7 11:29, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Forwarding to cygwin@cygwin.com
> > >
> > > Honestly I find it deeply concerning that a plain, unprivileged user
> > > can Bluescreen a machine, and more so that it happens during normal
> > > Cygwin usage.
> >
> > Same here.  Cygwin is userspace only!
> >
> > If any call in Cygwin can generate a bluescreen, it's a bug in the
> > kernel or in the driver.  Naturally, we have neither control over the
> > kernel, nor over the NTFS driver.  You might want to open a support case
> > with Microsoft.
>
> Well, a colleague is handling that. The feedback sent to her however was that:
> - Cygwin is not a Windows product
> - We should WSL instead
> - Cygwin might make use private Windows apis
> - We should run this by the "Cygwin company"

ROFL

> It is my turn now to provide a kernel stack trace to prove them wrong
> - IF I can manage to make one. That's why I am asking for help here.
>
> HELP!

I'd start with running the crashing process under strace.  This might
give a clue as to what or why it's happening.  Be aware that an strace
might be *very* big in your case, and that running under strace might
take a *very* long time.

Apart from that, I'm not really familiar with catching OS kernel dumps,
but the dumper and minidumper tools in Cygwin might be of help, see the
docs:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/minidumper.html

Corinna