* sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  0:39 xvac
From: xvac @ 2023-10-13  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hi cygwin member,

I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?

also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo.eg, `bun` :
https://github.com/oven-sh/bun

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  0:41 ` xvac
From: xvac @ 2023-10-13  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

zig lang
nim lang
rust lang

also should add to cygwin official repo.

Oct 13, 2023, 08:39 by xvac@tuta.io:

> Hi cygwin member,
>
> I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?
>
> also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo.
> eg, `bun` :
> https://github.com/oven-sh/bun

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  2:33   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2023-10-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 13.10.2023 um 02:41 schrieb xvac--- via Cygwin:
> zig lang
> nim lang
> rust lang
>
> also should add to cygwin official repo.
The Rust project does not support build on cygwin (see
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79854).
Never heard of zig or nim.

> Oct 13, 2023, 08:39 by xvac@tuta.io:
>
>> Hi cygwin member,
>>
>> I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?
>>
>> also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo.
>> eg, `bun` :
>> https://github.com/oven-sh/bun

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  2:52     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-10-13  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 04:33:47 +0200
Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 13.10.2023 um 02:41 schrieb xvac--- via Cygwin:
> > zig lang
> > nim lang
> > rust lang
> >
> > also should add to cygwin official repo.
> The Rust project does not support build on cygwin (see
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79854).

Chiisaineko (Ookiineko?) san seems to be working on porting
Rust to cygwin.

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2023-July/043048.html

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  4:18   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-10-13  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin; +Cc: xvac

On 2023-10-12 18:41, xvac wrote:
> Oct 13, 2023, 08:39 by xvac:
>> I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?

I would say postgresql is only lagging a few months because the maintainer is
busy with many other packages:

	https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/postgresql-src.html

>> also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo e.g., `bun` :
>> https://github.com/oven-sh/bun
With ~1.9k open issues, 155 pending PRs, and ~100 releases in 2 years, wait for
it to stablize before looking at it.

Problem is most packages are not written to really be portable, including
ability to be cross-compiled, and languages especially are often written as
Ph.D. projects, or academic projects to provide a subject for papers and a book
by (a) professor(s), and abandoned once the developers get jobs or move away
from the originating institution.

> zig lang

Needs LLVM 17

> nim lang

"Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."

> rust lang

"Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."

Needs LLVM 17

> also should add to cygwin official repo.

Feel free to port them, but if they don't use autotools or cmake, libtool, and
pkgconfig, expect a lot of work to get them running in the Cygwin environment.

See the reference to the person trying to port Rust needing to get LLVM 17 ported.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13  9:46     ` xvac
From: xvac @ 2023-10-13  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

thank your reply,

I have use cygwin long time, it's a great project.

If i want to help cygwin, what can i do?

how can i join cygwin team?
thanks again.

Oct 13, 2023, 12:18 by Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca:

> On 2023-10-12 18:41, xvac wrote:
>
>> Oct 13, 2023, 08:39 by xvac:
>>
>>> I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?
>>>

> I would say postgresql is only lagging a few months because the maintainer is busy with many other packages:
>
>  https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/postgresql-src.html
>
>>> also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo e.g., `bun` :
>>> https://github.com/oven-sh/bun
>>>
> With ~1.9k open issues, 155 pending PRs, and ~100 releases in 2 years, wait for it to stablize before looking at it.
>
> Problem is most packages are not written to really be portable, including ability to be cross-compiled, and languages especially are often written as Ph.D. projects, or academic projects to provide a subject for papers and a book by (a) professor(s), and abandoned once the developers get jobs or move away from the originating institution.
>
>> zig lang
>>

> Needs LLVM 17
>
>> nim lang
>>

> "Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."
>
>> rust lang
>>

> "Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."
>
> Needs LLVM 17
>
>> also should add to cygwin official repo.
>>

> Feel free to port them, but if they don't use autotools or cmake, libtool, and pkgconfig, expect a lot of work to get them running in the Cygwin environment.
>
> See the reference to the person trying to port Rust needing to get LLVM 17 ported.
>
> --
> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>
> La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
> non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to add
> mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer     but when there is no more to cut
>  -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: sqlite3 outdate
@ 2023-10-13 11:00       ` gs-cygwin.com
From: gs-cygwin.com @ 2023-10-13 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xvac; +Cc: Cygwin

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 11:46:25AM +0200, xvac--- via Cygwin wrote:
> thank your reply,
>
> I have use cygwin long time, it's a great project.
>
> If i want to help cygwin, what can i do?
>
> how can i join cygwin team?
> thanks again.

Adam recently posted the following excellent answer for another poster:

>> If you want to help, there's a list of packages that don't have
>> maintainers at http://www.cygwin.com/packages/reports/unmaintained.html
>> – if you'd be willing to adopt one of those and keep it a bit more
>> up-to-date, that's likely to be very well received. If there are
>> packages not on that list but which you think need updating, you could
>> offer to help the maintainer with getting them up-to-date, or – if the
>> maintainer is unresponsive for any reason – offer to produce an update
>> to be packaged as a non-maintainer-upload. The general guidance on how
>> to manage Cygwin packages as a maintainer is at
>> https://cygwin.com/packages.html. More general advice on contributing
>> to Cygwin is at https://cygwin.com/contrib.html.

The best places to start are linked above and the FAQ on the website.

Cheers, Glenn