* Possible setup-x86_64 2.908 bugs?
@ 2021-04-29 16:41 Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2021-04-29 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I got the "newer version" prompt just now when running setup and
downloaded 2.908 (I was on 2.905).

Now I'm seeing really flaky behavior in 2.908

* Empty Pending list when packages are available

   1 Click through all the initial dialogs to the package selection
     window (confirm there are packages to update)

   2 Click the Back button

   3 Click the Next button

   At this point the package selection window is empty for me. You can
   restore the list by changingthe Keep/Best/Sync option from Best to
   Sync and then back to Best.

* "This version of setup is *older* than the one you used last time"

   Does not happen the first time the new setup is launched, but then
   occurs intermittently thereafter.  I saw that message on two
   occasions, and the second time setup-x86_64.exe crashed a few
   seconds later. No message, the window just closed after I dismissed
   the message popup.

   Note: When I downloaded the new setup-x86_64.exe I overwrote the
   old one, so there's no chance (barring an OS caching bug) I was
   running 2.905 at that point.

Since I don't think it will help debug a setup problem I'm not
attaching cygcheck.out, but can make it available if needed.

--
Jim Garrison
jhg@acm.org

* Re: Possible setup-x86_64 2.908 bugs?
@ 2021-04-29 17:10 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-04-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/2021 17:41, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:
> I got the "newer version" prompt just now when running setup and
> downloaded 2.908 (I was on 2.905).
>
> Now I'm seeing really flaky behavior in 2.908

[...]
> * "This version of setup is *older* than the one you used last time"

I guess the message here is "setup.ini is older than the one you used
last time you installed cygwin."

This indicates that (setup thinks that) the timestamp in the retrieved
setup.ini file has gone backwards.

(determined by comparing the value saved in /etc/setup/timestamp with
that given by the setup-timestamp: line close to the beginning of setup.ini)

>   Does not happen the first time the new setup is launched, but then
>   occurs intermittently thereafter.  I saw that message on two
>   occasions, and the second time setup-x86_64.exe crashed a few
>   seconds later. No message, the window just closed after I dismissed
>   the message popup.
>
>   Note: When I downloaded the new setup-x86_64.exe I overwrote the
>   old one, so there's no chance (barring an OS caching bug) I was
>   running 2.905 at that point.

There haven't really been any setup changes in the relevant area.

The only thing I can think of is that it's possible that your mirror URL
might have been upgraded from http to https, which might effect how any
proxy you are behind is working.

Some old setup versions are available at [1], if you want to downgrade.

[1] https://cygwin.com/setup/