* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-28 21:56 Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin @ 2020-01-28 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Brian Inglis

> As the reg entries show, you can also do this by adding or setting registry
> entries using Cygwin regtool, Windows reg, or regedit commands.

It is better and much safer to use native Windows service controller commands, than tweaking the registry:

sc config cygsshd start= delayed-auto

Also, you won't need (or generally want) to use service pre-shutdown, as it can cause a very long delay when Windows restarts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/services/service-control-handler-function

My $.02

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-28 22:28 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On 2020-01-28 14:56, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
>> As the reg entries show, you can also do this by adding or setting registry
>> entries using Cygwin regtool, Windows reg, or regedit commands.
>
> It is better and much safer to use native Windows service controller commands, than tweaking the registry:
>
> sc config cygsshd start= delayed-auto

Agreed, reg is useful for checking and doing in non-scripting languages.

> Also, you won't need (or generally want) to use service pre-shutdown, as it can cause a very long delay when Windows restarts.

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/services/service-control-handler-function

Don't see where you read that?
Preshutdown happens before regular service shutdown starts.
Nothing to do with startup or restart!

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-29  6:39   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-29  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-01-28 15:28, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-01-28 14:56, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
>>> As the reg entries show, you can also do this by adding or setting registry
>>> entries using Cygwin regtool, Windows reg, or regedit commands.
>>
>> It is better and much safer to use native Windows service controller commands, than tweaking the registry:
>>
>> sc config cygsshd start= delayed-auto
>
> Agreed, reg is useful for checking and doing in non-scripting languages.
>
>> Also, you won't need (or generally want) to use service pre-shutdown, as it can cause a very long delay when Windows restarts.

If you mean by "delay when restarts" => "before shutdown", it may take up to
three (3) minutes by default before Windows times out preshutdown services, then
it may take up to two (2) minutes by default before Windows times out service
process shutdown.
Is that not better than abruptly terminating an sshd session, or abandoning
sending a large email?
I would expect UPS shutdown handlers to do whatever is required to expedite a
speedy shutdown within a a few tens of ms/a mains power cycle or two.

@ 2020-01-29 23:08 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-29 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-01-29 11:55, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin wrote:
>> Don't see where you read that?
>
> The service control manager waits until the service stops or the specified preshutdown time-out value expires (this value can be set with the ChangeServiceConfig2 function). This control code should be used only in special circumstances, because a service that handles this notification
>
> * blocks system shutdown *
>
> until the service stops or the preshutdown time-out interval expires.
>
>> Is that not better than abruptly terminating an sshd session, or abandoning sending a large email?
>
> Depends.  When you are ready to reboot you usually don't have anything important running by then.

You are viewing everything as a purely manual desktop user who has nothing
important happening on their system and total control over restarts: most Home
and work desktop users get updated and restarted with little interaction or
option; servers are bounced by someone or some process elsewhere who thinks now
is a good time; updates on my work systems always seemed to be applied as I
logged on in response to urgent calls early, during lunchtime, or just when
leaving for the day.

I may well have scheduled tasks or cron jobs running, some of which may take a
while to complete, unfortunately longer than 3 minutes: I can only hope those
processes will not be killed and will defer the shutdown process, as on the next
hourly run after restart, the missed processing will have to be caught up,
before current processing starts. As some other posters noted recently, some
package rebuilds take hours on their systems.

> Also, emails "abandoned" while sending will be re-sent, in most decent mailers.
>
> Finally, when you do need the pre-shutdown option, you can specify it with cygrunsrv directly (-O, --preshutdown)
>  -- no need to deal with any manual registry changes.

That is a service initial configuration option (stored in the registry) which
that means on startup, the service will prepare itself to receive and handle
Preshutdown messages, and the system may send such messages to the service.
Note the sample cygrunsrv output showing "Controls Accepted: Stop, Preshutdown".

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-29 18:55 Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin @ 2020-01-29 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2020-01-28 22:21             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-01-28 14:26, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> $ cygrunsrv -VQ cygsshd
>> Service             : cygsshd
>> Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
>> Current State       : Running
>> Controls Accepted   : Stop, Preshutdown
>> Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
>> stdin path          : /dev/null
>> stdout path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
>> stderr path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
>> Process Type        : Own Process
>> Startup             : Manual
>> Dependencies        : dnscache, cygserver, syslog-ng
>
> I strongly suggest adding "tcpip" here.

No - causes problems as tcpip is a kernel driver which is early and low level
BOOT_START - other BOOT_START and SYSTEM_START kernel drivers and services
depend on tcpip, and later AUTO_START services like dhcp and dnscache depend on
those - once those are available, we have a gateway, resolver, and the other
network services which we need available to use the network, which is why we
need to start Cygwin network services as Delayed auto start
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd Start=2
DelayedAutostart=1) and Preshutdown (cygrunsrv -O, --preshutdown
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd/Parameters
Preshutdown=1).

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-28 21:35           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-01-28 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin

Greetings, Brian Inglis!

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-23 15:54         ` Andrew J. Schorr
From: Andrew J. Schorr @ 2020-01-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 03:08:12PM -0700, Brian Inglis wrote:
> I've used dnscache for network service dependencies (and cygserver and syslog-ng
> for other Cygwin services) with delayed start and preshutdown (cygrunsrv -O,
> --preshutdown).
> Where previous usage was cygrunsrv -t, --type manual is now called demand
> service startup type.
>
> You can set service startup type using:
>
> $ sc config cygsshd start= boot|system|auto|demand|disabled|delayed-auto
> # option flag requires = and the value must be a separate argument
> $ sc query cygsshd
> $ regtool -pv list
> /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd/
> $ regtool -pv list
> /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd/Parameters/
> As the reg entries show, you can also do this by adding or setting registry
> entries using Cygwin regtool, Windows reg, or regedit commands.

Thanks. I was not familiar with the sc and regtool commands. For now,
using automatic (delayed start) seems to be adequate for solving my problem.

Regards,
Andy

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-22 22:23         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-22 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-01-22 15:08, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-01-22 11:18, ASSI wrote:
>> Andrew J. Schorr writes:

[add cygrunsrv output for completeness]

>>> Thanks for the suggestion; that seems to fix the issue. Is this a known
>>> problem due to some updates to Windows 10 and/or Cygwin? I have not had
>>> this problem in the past.
>>
>> Win10 is better at starting fast (including parallelization of startup
>> across the available cores) and just the fact that TCP/IP is up seems
>> not enough for sshd to function correctly.
>
> I've used dnscache for network service dependencies (and cygserver and syslog-ng
> for other Cygwin services) with delayed start and preshutdown (cygrunsrv -O,
> --preshutdown).
> Where previous usage was cygrunsrv -t, --type manual is now called demand
> service startup type.
>
> You can set service startup type using:
>
> $ sc config cygsshd start= boot|system|auto|demand|disabled|delayed-auto
> # option flag requires = and the value must be a separate argument
>
> and check them using:
>
> $ sc query cygsshd
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cygsshd
>         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>         STATE              : 4  RUNNING
>                                 (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_PRESHUTDOWN)
>         WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
>         SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
>         CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
>         WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
> $ sc qc cygsshd
> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: cygsshd
>         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>         START_TYPE         : 3   DEMAND_START
>         ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
>         BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\...\bin\cygrunsrv.exe
>         LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
>         TAG                : 0
>         DISPLAY_NAME       : CYGWIN sshd
>         DEPENDENCIES       : dnscache
>                            : cygserver
>                            : syslog-ng
>         SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

$ cygrunsrv -VQ cygsshd
Service             : cygsshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running

@ 2020-01-22 22:08       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-22 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2020-01-22 18:18     ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2020-01-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew J. Schorr writes:
>> Try to set the service to "delayed start" instead and see if that helps.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion; that seems to fix the issue. Is this a known
> problem due to some updates to Windows 10 and/or Cygwin? I have not had
> this problem in the past.

Win10 is better at starting fast (including parallelization of startup
across the available cores) and just the fact that TCP/IP is up seems
not enough for sshd to function correctly.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot
@ 2020-01-22 16:05   ` Andrew J. Schorr
From: Andrew J. Schorr @ 2020-01-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2020-01-21 20:37 ` Achim Gratz