* Documentation for Windows users
@ 2001-07-01 14:01 Will Sheppard
From: Will Sheppard @ 2001-07-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why doesn't the Cygwin installation put a readme file in its root directory, directing users to the documentation on the website?
Or even better - actually install the documentation in a format easily acessible to people who have only used Windows their whole lives.

This seems to be a problem affecting most ports of software to Windows - the binaries are there, but not usable by people
with no knowledge of Unix systems.

Also, would it really be that difficult to include a GUI to some of these programs, such as the C compiler? It really would
make them so much easier to use for Windows users. Surely the ultimate OS would combine the power and stability of Unix
with the user-interface of Windows...

Or am I totally missing the point here?

- Will Sheppard

* Re: Documentation for Windows users
@ 2001-07-03 15:03   ` Jonadab the Unsightly One
From: Jonadab the Unsightly One @ 2001-07-03 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

# A GUI for gcc. I shudder.

There is one already.  It's called Emacs.  HTH.HAND.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)

* Re: Documentation for Windows users
@ 2001-07-02  0:59   ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2001-07-02  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 14:37:37 -0700, Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> wrote:

> A GUI for gcc. I shudder.

Don't. DJGPP (gcc for M$DOS) comes with an IDE.

And really, we all old timers use an IDE too, it's just not called
"IDE", it is called Emacs (I use it on M$ Windoze too).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Documentation for Windows users
       [not found] <200107012101.f61L1tA17533@franklin.concentric.net>
@ 2001-07-01 14:37 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-07-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: will, cygwin

Will,

Yes, you are mostly missing the point. These tools are for people who want
the virtues of the GNU tools and a Unix-like programming and computing
environment and who, for various reasons, must use Windows. Quite apart
from the debate about the virtue of IDE-hosted programming, what you
suggest is just not what Cygwin is about.

I must wonder, what you expect in the way of usability by people "with no
knowledge of Unix systems." Whether you were using Linux or FreeBSD or some
such, you'd face the same learning curve for these tools. One the other
hand, regardless of where you learn them, the knowledge transfers almost
entirely to other environments that host these tools.

All that said, the usual rejoinder applies: If you want it and can write it
and _do_ write it and contribute it, you will have it and lots of other
will have it, too.

Recent postings have examined the kinds of users and their needs and
expectations. Read the postings under the thread ``"shouted down", "shot
down", apologies''.

A GUI for gcc. I shudder.

Randall Schulz