* make freezes before end
@ 2016-09-14 15:36 Cesar
From: Cesar @ 2016-09-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi, i'm having an issue with make, i'm trying to install mosml and
when i type make, it seems to start ok but then it stops at "this is a
little endian architecture" and freezes there, it does nothing else.

is there something i'm missing?

thanks in advance.

* Re: make freezes before end
@ 2016-09-14 16:04 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-09-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14/09/2016 17:01, Cesar wrote:
> hi, i'm having an issue with make, i'm trying to install mosml and
> when i type make, it seems to start ok but then it stops at "this is a
> little endian architecture" and freezes there, it does nothing else.
>
> is there something i'm missing?
>
> thanks in advance.

May be you need to be a bit more clear, when asking support.
Do you think that we are all expert of mosml ?
I never heard of it.

As unlikely is a make problem, I suggest you to
use `--trace` option to see where is really the problem.

Other suggestion for things to look for:
  do you need to run any configuration before running make ?
  It seems you are running a wrong configuration

Regards
Marco

* Re: make freezes before end
@ 2016-09-15 15:54   ` Cesar
From: Cesar @ 2016-09-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marco, thanks for your response, mosml is a lightweight implemetation
of SML -standard ML, a functional programming language similar to
Haskell-, i tried running "--trace" and it does the same thing. I've
just confirmed that is not an issue with the make command since it
worked for the M4 macro processor. i've done the same thing in ubuntu,
it worked there but not here.

> On 14/09/2016 17:01, Cesar wrote:
>>
>> hi, i'm having an issue with make, i'm trying to install mosml and
>> when i type make, it seems to start ok but then it stops at "this is a
>> little endian architecture" and freezes there, it does nothing else.
>>
>> is there something i'm missing?
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>

> May be you need to be a bit more clear, when asking support.
> Do you think that we are all expert of mosml ?
> I never heard of it.
>
> As unlikely is a make problem, I suggest you to
> use `--trace` option to see where is really the problem.
>
> Other suggestion for things to look for:
>  do you need to run any configuration before running make ?
>  It seems you are running a wrong configuration
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

> --

* Re: make freezes before end
@ 2016-09-16  4:45     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-09-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cesar,
Please bottom post on this list.

On 14/09/2016 18:04, Cesar wrote:
> Marco, thanks for your response, mosml is a lightweight implemetation
> of SML -standard ML, a functional programming language similar to
> Haskell-, i tried running "--trace" and it does the same thing. I've
> just confirmed that is not an issue with the make command since it
> worked for the M4 macro processor. i've done the same thing in ubuntu,
> it worked there but not here.

assuming that is https://github.com/kfl/mosml

The build system is missing a configuration system
(like cmake or autoconf ). The Makefile are hardcoded
and of course the build system does not know cygwin
and the outcome is bad.

You need to manually modify the Makefiles, but usually
this thing are complicated if possible at all.

Regards
Marco

* Re: make freezes before end
@ 2016-09-16 14:11       ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-09-16 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cesargiulietti

On 15/09/16 22:18, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 14/09/2016 18:04, Cesar wrote:
>> Marco, thanks for your response, mosml is a lightweight implemetation
>> of SML -standard ML, a functional programming language similar to
>> Haskell-, i tried running "--trace" and it does the same thing. I've
>> just confirmed that is not an issue with the make command since it
>> worked for the M4 macro processor. i've done the same thing in ubuntu,
>> it worked there but not here.
>>

> assuming that is https://github.com/kfl/mosml
>
> The build system is missing a configuration system
> (like cmake or autoconf ). The Makefile are hardcoded
> and of course the build system does not know cygwin
> and the outcome is bad.
>
> You need to manually modify the Makefiles, but usually
> this thing are complicated if possible at all.

There are some instructions for building under Cygwin in comments in one
of the makefiles [1]. However, that may not help - there is an open
ticket that mosml doesn't build on Cygwin [2].

Dave.

[1] - https://github.com/kfl/mosml/blob/master/src/Makefile.inc#L111
[2] - https://github.com/kfl/mosml/issues/37