* Possible xpdf packaging error?
@ 2022-04-07 14:28 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-04-07 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin-ers --

Today I had use for pdftotext.  It man page is installed, but the program
itself is missing.  On Ubuntu (etc.) it is part of the xpdf package, the
Cygwin version of which I have installed.  pdftotext.cc is in the source
package, but its executable is not present in the binary package.

So I am wondering if this is intentional (is pdftotext somewhere else?) or an
oversight.  The situation seems the same from at least the 4.01.01 release
onward to 4.03 (current) release.

I suppose I can try getting all the necessary dependencies and building from
source, if need be, but though this worth asking about.

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: Possible xpdf packaging error?
@ 2022-04-07 15:13 ` airplanemath
From: airplanemath @ 2022-04-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 07 2022, Eliot Moss wrote:

> Dear Cygwin-ers --
>
> Today I had use for pdftotext.  It man page is installed, but the program
> itself is missing.  On Ubuntu (etc.) it is part of the xpdf package, the
> Cygwin version of which I have installed.  pdftotext.cc is in the source
> package, but its executable is not present in the binary package.

$ cygcheck -p bin/pdftotext
Found 6 matches for bin/pdftotext
poppler-debuginfo-0.88.0-1 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
poppler-debuginfo-0.88.0-2 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
poppler-debuginfo-21.01.0-1 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
poppler-0.88.0-1 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities
poppler-0.88.0-2 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities
poppler-21.01.0-1 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities

Try installing poppler

> So I am wondering if this is intentional (is pdftotext somewhere else?) or an
> oversight.  The situation seems the same from at least the 4.01.01 release
> onward to 4.03 (current) release.

This looks to be intentional, given the mention in the last several
announcements, e.g.
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-February/009922.html

> I suppose I can try getting all the necessary dependencies and building from
> source, if need be, but though this worth asking about.
>
> Regards - Eliot Moss

Other ways to check are cygcheck -p pdftotext.exe or
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Fpdftotext&arch=x86_64,

* Re: Possible xpdf packaging error?
@ 2022-04-07 19:03   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-04-07 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: airplanemath, cygwin

On 4/7/2022 11:13 AM, airplanemath via Cygwin wrote:
 > On Thu, Apr 07 2022, Eliot Moss wrote:
 >
 >> Dear Cygwin-ers --
 >>
 >> Today I had use for pdftotext.  It man page is installed, but the program
 >> itself is missing.  On Ubuntu (etc.) it is part of the xpdf package, the
 >> Cygwin version of which I have installed.  pdftotext.cc is in the source
 >> package, but its executable is not present in the binary package.
 >>
 > $ cygcheck -p bin/pdftotext
 > Found 6 matches for bin/pdftotext
 > poppler-debuginfo-0.88.0-1 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
 > poppler-debuginfo-0.88.0-2 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
 > poppler-debuginfo-21.01.0-1 - poppler-debuginfo: Debug info for poppler
 > poppler-0.88.0-1 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities
 > poppler-0.88.0-2 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities
 > poppler-21.01.0-1 - poppler: PDF manipulation utilities
 >
 > Try installing poppler
 >
 >> So I am wondering if this is intentional (is pdftotext somewhere else?) or an
 >> oversight.  The situation seems the same from at least the 4.01.01 release
 >> onward to 4.03 (current) release.
 >
 > This looks to be intentional, given the mention in the last several
 > announcements, e.g.
 > https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-February/009922.html
 >

 >> I suppose I can try getting all the necessary dependencies and building from
 >> source, if need be, but though this worth asking about.
 >>
 >> Regards - Eliot Moss
 >
 > Other ways to check are cygcheck -p pdftotext.exe or
 > https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Fpdftotext&arch=x86_64,

Thanks - I had noticed, but not connected, that pdftotext is in poppler-utilsfor Ubuntu.  But it's
odd to have a man page for something in one package
and the executable in another, no?

No worries - I'll install poppler.

Regards - Eliot

* Re: Possible xpdf packaging error?
@ 2022-04-07 19:18     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-04-07 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/7/2022 3:03 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> But it's odd to have a man page for something in one package
> and the executable in another, no?

Yes.  The man page shouldn't be in the xpdf package.  I'll fix that the next
time I update xpdf.

Ken