* ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416 not displaying any output
@ 2022-10-21 18:49 William Hu
From: William Hu @ 2022-10-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

When trying to run the pre-built examples in the ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416 package, nothing happens - the bash prompt simply scrolls to the next line. This happens for all the example programs, not just one.

However, if I compile the ncurses examples from source locally on my machine with Cygwin, they run normally through a Cygwin prompt. Additionally, it seems the previous version (6.1-1.20190727) works fine too, so this seems like a bug in the latest version. I’m running Cygwin on 64-bit Windows 10 - let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
William

* Re: ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416 not displaying any output
@ 2022-10-21 21:11 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-10-21 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brian.Inglis, purplearmadillo77

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 18:49:28 +0000, William Hu wrote:
> When trying to run the pre-built examples in the ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416
> package, nothing happens - the bash prompt simply scrolls to the next line. This
> happens for all the example programs, not just one.
> However, if I compile the ncurses examples from source locally on my machine
> with Cygwin, they run normally through a Cygwin prompt. Additionally, it
> seems the previous version (6.1-1.20190727) works fine too, so this seems
> like a bug in the latest version. I’m running Cygwin on 64-bit Windows 10 -
> let me know if you need more info.
Works fine for me with all test packages upgraded to the same version and either
shell restarted or DLLs rebased by setup.

Please check that libncursesw10 has also been upgraded to the same version
6.3-1.20220416 e.g.

	$ grep ncurses /etc/setup/installed.db
	libncursesw10 libncursesw10-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 0
	ncurses-demo ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 1

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416 not displaying any output
@ 2022-10-22 17:58   ` William Hu
From: William Hu @ 2022-10-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brian.Inglis

Hi Brian,
> Works fine for me with all test packages upgraded to the same version and either
> shell restarted or DLLs rebased by setup.
>
> Please check that libncursesw10 has also been upgraded to the same version
> 6.3-1.20220416 e.g.
>
> $ grep ncurses /etc/setup/installed.db
> libncursesw10 libncursesw10-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 0
> ncurses-demo ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 1

Yep, that was the problem! Thank you!

I think it might be more informative to either produce a warning about incompatible library versions rather than just silently exiting or requiring a certain minimum version of the library with the demos (not sure if that's possible with cygport).

@ 2022-10-22 22:41     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-10-22 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: William Hu, Brian.Inglis

On 2022-10-22 11:58, William Hu wrote:
>> Works fine for me with all test packages upgraded to the same version and either
>> shell restarted or DLLs rebased by setup.

>> Please check that libncursesw10 has also been upgraded to the same version
>> 6.3-1.20220416 e.g.

>> $ grep ncurses /etc/setup/installed.db
>> libncursesw10 libncursesw10-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 0
>> ncurses-demo ncurses-demo-6.3-1.20220416.tar.bz2 1

> Yep, that was the problem! Thank you!

> I think it might be more informative to either produce a warning about
> incompatible library versions rather than just silently exiting or requiring
> a certain minimum version of the library with the demos (not sure if that's
> possible with cygport).
I think that's a long standing limitation installing test packages - test
versions of dependencies are not handled automatically by setup - you also have
to manually choose the test versions of any related packages you are installing.

I normally just pick the root of any package I want to test e.g. ncurses and
select the same test versions of all binaries to install to avoid these issues.