* Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
@ 2015-11-17  0:54 Kenneth Wolcott
From: Kenneth Wolcott @ 2015-11-17  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi;

  I now work in a Windows-centric build and release environment.

  The MKS Toolkit currently exists on most (if not all) of the Windows servers.

  If I were to install Cygwin, would it conflict with MKS Toolkit?

  Secondly, I'm really confused about 32bit versus 64bit servers;
should I just use 32bit Cygwin to be sure?

  I'd like to eventually replace MKS Toolkit with Cygwin if everything
works out.

  I have the feeling that I'm wading into the deep part of the pool
and I don't know how to swim :-)

  Thanks in advance for advice and pointers.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

* Re: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
@ 2015-11-17  1:00 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-11-17  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 16, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If I were to install Cygwin, would it conflict with MKS Toolkit?

It shouldn’t.

However, you cannot expect any cross-process mechanisms to work correctly across that boundary like pipes, shared memory, and other forms of IPC that don’t map 1:1 to native Windows mechanisms.

(So, TCP/IP will be compatible across the boundary, since both MKS and Cygwin implement BSD sockets in terms of Winsock.)

>  Secondly, I'm really confused about 32bit versus 64bit servers;
> should I just use 32bit Cygwin to be sure?

Almost certainly not: http://stackoverflow.com/a/18333049

* Re: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
@ 2015-11-17  2:17 ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2015-11-17  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Wolcott; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:54:00 -0800
> From: Kenneth Wolcott
> Subject: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
>
> Hi;

Greetings, Kenneth,

>  I now work in a Windows-centric build and release environment.

I feel you pain :)

>  The MKS Toolkit currently exists on most (if not all) of the Windows servers.
>
>  If I were to install Cygwin, would it conflict with MKS Toolkit?

Yes and no.  The toolset overlaps, obviously.  Some behaviours will be
different as some features in MKS may or may not be the same in Cygwin,
vis-a-versa.  But if you are thinking of having both paths in %PATH%,
then, no, just don't do that.  Use one or the other.

>  Secondly, I'm really confused about 32bit versus 64bit servers;
> should I just use 32bit Cygwin to be sure?

MKS, unless I'm mistaken, is (still?) 32-bit, but that's not really saying
much.  I guess the answer would gate on what specifically you are
concerned about.  The 64-bit release of Cygwin is stable and mostly as
complete as the 32-bit offering.

The two toolsets will only externally interface, like any other console
program on Windows (eg: pipes, sockets, process spawning, file handles,
etc) but other aspects (IPC, memory sharing, threading, etc) won't cross
between them.

Other thinks might get in the way.  MKS still supports/prefers using DOS
file syntax while Cygwin prefers the Unix/POSIX syntax, which can present
a problem for generating file paths and feeding them to some non-Cygwin
programs (re: "/cygdrive").

Cygwin also has a concept of an installation root where important things
live (like config files in "/etc").  MKS has less of this kind of locality
but does have some of it none the less.

32-bit vs 64-bit?  Not really much difference.  You might as well use the
64-bit release as everything will eventually be 64-bit.

>  I'd like to eventually replace MKS Toolkit with Cygwin if everything
> works out.

Oh!  I've been there and tried to do that but was shutdown for corporate
policy reasons.  Remember that business wants someone to shoot at when
things break.  That license you have for MKS means your company can demand
support from someone.  Cygwin is "free" and support is really just this
email list and "WJM". :)

That being said, I was able to swap out MKS for Cywgin (at least on my
workstation) and it largely worked very well.  Some things were slower,
but the toolset offering is much richer and I was able to use commands not
available in MKS.

>  I have the feeling that I'm wading into the deep part of the pool
> and I don't know how to swim :-)

Deep and very cold too!  I wish you well on your adventure!

>  Thanks in advance for advice and pointers.

Don't try and use MKS and Cygwin together.  Use one set or the other.  If
you have any other tools that use explict paths, change them to not do
that.  There will be differences, so resign yourself to this fact and work
to make your other tools environment agnostic.

CR/LF may become your enemy as some tools will still make some assumptions
about line termination.  There's no right/wrong here.

In my particular case, we swapped out "make" and most of the other
command-line tools just fine, but ran into file path differences for
things like a 3rd-party compiler that doesn't like "/" in unquoted path
names.  Also, try and not to use absolute paths.

Good luck!

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com

* RE: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
@ 2015-11-18 21:30   ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2015-11-18 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: 'Peter A. Castro'

Peter A. Castro sent the following at Monday, November 16, 2015 9:17 PM

>Oh! I've been there and tried to do that but was shutdown for corporate
>policy reasons. Remember that business wants someone to shoot at when
>things break. That license you have for MKS means your company can
>demand support from someone. Cygwin is "free" and support is really just
>this email list and "WJM". :)

I believe that paid support is available from Red Hat.

http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/

- Barry
              The above is just for informational purposes and is not
              an endorsement or recommendation.

* RE: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
@ 2015-11-20 19:25     ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2015-11-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 21:29:30 +0000
> From: "Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]"
> Subject: RE: Can MKS Toolkit and Cygwin safely co-exist on Windows servers?
>
> Peter A. Castro sent the following at Monday, November 16, 2015 9:17 PM
>>
>> Oh! I've been there and tried to do that but was shutdown for corporate
>> policy reasons. Remember that business wants someone to shoot at when
>> things break. That license you have for MKS means your company can
>> demand support from someone. Cygwin is "free" and support is really just
>> this email list and "WJM". :)
>
> I believe that paid support is available from Red Hat.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/

Oh!  I did not know about that!  That is cool!  Wish I'd known about that
a few years ago!!

(I presume that "professional support" is Corinna? :)