* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.9.1-1; NEW: inetutils-server-1.9.1-1
@ 2013-11-15 22:07 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-11-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

inetutils provides common networking clients and servers,
including the inetd super-server, telnetd and telnet, ftpd
and ftp, talkd and talk, tftpd and tftp, uucpd (but no uucp
client), and syslogd.

This an update to the latest upstream release. It also adds
a debuginfo package and support for cygwin64.

CHANGES (since 1.7-2)
========================
o Updated to latest upstream release
o Rely on cygport to autogenerate setup.hints
o Split package into client and server components.
o Added debuginfo package
o First cygwin64 release

--
Charles Wilson
volunteer inetutils maintainer for cygwin

at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is
available starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.9.1-1; NEW: inetutils-server-1.9.1-1
@ 2013-12-03 13:42 ` Frank Fesevur
From: Frank Fesevur @ 2013-12-03 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2013/11/15 Charles Wilson:
> CHANGES (since 1.7-2)
> ========================
> o Updated to latest upstream release
> o Rely on cygport to autogenerate setup.hints
> o Split package into client and server components.

I just tried to install the clients package and got this notification:

inetutils-server    (1.9.1-1)
    Common networking clients and servers (servers)
    Required by: inetutils

Why does the "clients" package require the "servers" package?

Regards,
Frank

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.9.1-1; NEW: inetutils-server-1.9.1-1
@ 2013-12-03 14:21   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-12-03 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/3/2013 8:40 AM, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> 2013/11/15 Charles Wilson:
>> CHANGES (since 1.7-2)
>> ========================
>> o Updated to latest upstream release
>> o Rely on cygport to autogenerate setup.hints
>> o Split package into client and server components.
>
> I just tried to install the clients package and got this notification:
>
> inetutils-server    (1.9.1-1)
>      Common networking clients and servers (servers)
>      Required by: inetutils
>
> Why does the "clients" package require the "servers" package?

Transition.  The old (1.7-x) package was monolithic, so the people who
*wanted* the server(s) only needed to install the 'inetutils' package
itself.

If I *didn't* add this requirement to the new inetutils package (which
contains only clients), then those users, when upgrading, would lose
their server(s) and their system would break.

We don't want that.

So, what I typically do when I break up a monolithic package, is ensure
that for the *first* update cycle after the breakup, all users will
still get all the (new) subpackages.

For the *next* update cycle, I'll remove those unnecessary requires:
statements. (If somebody waits six months to update, misses 1.9-1, then
THEY might get a temporarily broken system. But that's just too bad;
can't cater to people who don't keep their systems reasonably up to date).

--
Chuck