* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: texinfo-6.1-1
@ 2016-02-07  0:40 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-07  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[Resending with corrected Subject.]

The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

* texinfo-6.1-1
* info-6.1-1
* texinfo-tex-6.1-1

Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to
produce output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi,
html, info, pdf, xml, etc.).

This is an update to the latest upstream release.  See the release
announcement
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2016-02/msg00035.html)
for a list of changes since the last release.

Cygwin packaging
================

The info package contains the standalone info viewer as well as the
install-info program.  The texinfo package contains everything else
except support for the printable output formats (such as pdf).  The
texinfo-tex package supplies the latter.  In particular,
/usr/bin/makeinfo is in the texinfo package, but the command 'makeinfo
--pdf' won't work unless you install texinfo-tex.

This release of the info package also contains a postinstall script that
was previously in the _update-info-dir package, which is now obsolete.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's texinfo maintainer

* info-6.1 segmentation fault
@ 2016-03-03 15:37 ` Mikhail Usenko
From: Mikhail Usenko @ 2016-03-03 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:16:51 -0500
Ken Brown <...> wrote:

> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * texinfo-6.1-1
> * info-6.1-1
> * texinfo-tex-6.1-1

info 6.1 crashes to segmentation fault on every run.
Downgarding to version 6.0 resolves the problem.
Does anyone come across with this or it is my local issue?
Thanks.

--
Mike

* Re: info-6.1 segmentation fault
@ 2016-03-03 15:46   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mikhail Usenko <cygwin <at> inbox.ru> writes:
> info 6.1 crashes to segmentation fault on every run.
> Downgarding to version 6.0 resolves the problem.
> Does anyone come across with this or it is my local issue?

WJFFM.  Local issue or some interaction with your environment is most
likely.  Have you run cygcheck?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: info-6.1 segmentation fault
@ 2016-03-03 20:01     ` Mikhail Usenko
From: Mikhail Usenko @ 2016-03-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:46:02 +0000 (UTC)
Achim Gratz <...> wrote:

> Mikhail Usenko <cygwin <at> inbox.ru> writes:
> > info 6.1 crashes to segmentation fault on every run.
> > Downgarding to version 6.0 resolves the problem.
> > Does anyone come across with this or it is my local issue?
>
> WJFFM.  Local issue or some interaction with your environment is most
> likely.  Have you run cygcheck?

Yes and it was/is OK for all installed packages.

I have just found the cause:

From strace output it can be observed that version 6.1
get an access violation exception after trying to read from the .infokey file.

And then, info-6.1 crashes if the .infokey file contains the lines that
disable the default key bindings by overriding them with the action 'invalid'
according to as described in info-stnd manual.

Perhaps it is an upstream bug.

--

@ 2016-03-03 20:31       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-03-03 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/3/2016 3:00 PM, Mikhail Usenko wrote:
> I have just found the cause:
>
>  From strace output it can be observed that version 6.1
> get an access violation exception after trying to read from the .infokey file.
>
> And then, info-6.1 crashes if the .infokey file contains the lines that
> disable the default key bindings by overriding them with the action 'invalid'
> according to as described in info-stnd manual.
>
> Perhaps it is an upstream bug.

Thanks for the report.  I can confirm this on 64-bit Cygwin but not
32-bit.  I'll look into it.

Ken

* Re: info-6.1 segmentation fault
@ 2016-03-04 21:12         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-03-04 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/3/2016 3:31 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/3/2016 3:00 PM, Mikhail Usenko wrote:
>> I have just found the cause:
>>
>>  From strace output it can be observed that version 6.1
>> get an access violation exception after trying to read from the
>> .infokey file.
>>
>> And then, info-6.1 crashes if the .infokey file contains the lines that
>> disable the default key bindings by overriding them with the action
>> 'invalid'
>> according to as described in info-stnd manual.
>>
>> Perhaps it is an upstream bug.
>
> Thanks for the report.  I can confirm this on 64-bit Cygwin but not
> 32-bit.  I'll look into it.

This was indeed an upstream bug, which is now fixed.  I'll issue a new
release with the fix.

Ken