* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: binutils-2.35.2-1, mingw64-{i686, x86_64}-binutils-2.35.2-1
@ 2021-01-31 13:37 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-01-31 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The binutils packages for Cygwin and MingW64 cross-compilation
toolchains have been updated to the upstream bugfix release 2.35.2.

Since no new features have been added and the update contains security
fixes, no test period is applied.

The GNU Binutils are a collection of binary tools.  Most of these
programs use BFD, the Binary File Descriptor library, to do low-level
manipulation. Many of them also use the opcodes library to assemble and
disassemble machine instructions.

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Random assembler errors after update mingw64-x86_64-binutils-2.35.2-1
@ 2021-02-01  9:25 ` Michael Soegtrop
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Soegtrop @ 2021-02-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Achim,

I have some evidence that this update leads to random assembler errors.
I have 3 CI failures (out of 5 runs) since the update in an open source
project I maintain. The failure is always an error from the MinGW 64
assembler and the errors are random - that is if I rerun the same CI
test the error went away in one of one tested case and in the failing
cases the error happened compiling different files.

I haven't seen anything like this before the update.

Here are links to one failing and one good case:

Fail run package version:
https://github.com/coq/platform/runs/1803203762?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:164

Fail run error message:
https://github.com/coq/platform/runs/1803203762?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:1664

Good run package version:
https://github.com/coq/platform/runs/1799374171?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:164

I will revert to the old version of the package and see if the errors go
away.

The 32 bit version seems fine do far.

Best regards,

Michael

* Re: Random assembler errors after update mingw64-x86_64-binutils-2.35.2-1
@ 2021-02-01 19:04   ` Michael Soegtrop
From: Michael Soegtrop @ 2021-02-01 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

An update on this:

I reverted to the previous version of MinGW 64 binutils in our CI and
didn't have issues since then.

Best regards,

Michael

@ 2021-02-01 19:23   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-02-01 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Michael Soegtrop via Cygwin writes:
> I have some evidence that this update leads to random assembler
> errors. I have 3 CI failures (out of 5 runs) since the update in an
> open source project I maintain. The failure is always an error from
> the MinGW 64 assembler and the errors are random - that is if I rerun
> the same CI test the error went away in one of one tested case and in
> the failing cases the error happened compiling different files.

Unless you have something I can reproduce I'm afraid there's nothing I
can do.  You can try reporting upstream to see if somebody else has seen
someting like that before or try bisecting.

> I haven't seen anything like this before the update.
>
> Here are links to one failing and one good case:

None of them work for anybody who is not logged in to GitHub.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Random assembler errors after update mingw64-x86_64-binutils-2.35.2-1
@ 2021-02-01 20:17   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-02-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01.02.2021 10:25, Michael Soegtrop via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi Achim,
>
> I have some evidence that this update leads to random assembler errors.
> I have 3 CI failures (out of 5 runs) since the update in an open source
> project I maintain. The failure is always an error from the MinGW 64
> assembler and the errors are random - that is if I rerun the same CI
> test the error went away in one of one tested case and in the failing
> cases the error happened compiling different files.

it can be a race that the current package is just exposing

> I haven't seen anything like this before the update.
>
> Here are links to one failing and one good case:
>
> Fail run package version:
> https://github.com/coq/platform/runs/1803203762?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:164
>

> Fail run error message:
> https://github.com/coq/platform/runs/1803203762?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:1664

    513	File "kernel/nativelib.ml", line 1:
    514	Error: Assembler error, input left in file
C:\cygwin_coq_platform\tmp\camlasm6b4377.s
    515	make[1]: *** [Makefile.build:768: kernel/nativelib.cmx] Error 2
    516	make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/runneradmin/.opam/_coq-platform_.master/.opam-switch/build/coqide.dev'

a copy of the assembler file and original source could give some hint