* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: moreutils v0.67-1
@ 2022-02-18 12:32 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-02-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Version 0.67-1 of moreutils has been uploaded, and should be coming
soon to a mirror to a mirror near you.

This is an update to the latest upstream release; it includes the
following changes:

- README: Formalize that I am not adding new tools to moreutils, and
have not for a long while. This package needs someone new to take over
editorial responsibility.

- Makefile: Install man pages without executable bit. Thanks, meator

- ifne.1: Improve example that pipes to mail to avoid escape sequences.

Moreutils is a "collection of the unix tools that nobody thought to
write long ago when unix was young."

From the upstream website, https://joeyh.name/code/moreutils/:

Probably the most general purpose tool in moreutils so far is
sponge(1), which lets you do things like this:

    % sed "s/root/toor/" /etc/passwd | grep -v joey | sponge /etc/passwd

There are lots more listed below, and I'm always interested to add
more to the collection, as long as they're suitably general-purpose,
and don't duplicate other well-known tools.

- chronic: runs a command quietly unless it fails
- combine: combine the lines in two files using boolean operations
- errno: look up errno names and descriptions
- ifdata: get network interface info without parsing ifconfig output
- ifne: run a program if the standard input is not empty
- isutf8: check if a file or standard input is utf-8
- lckdo: execute a program with a lock held
- mispipe: pipe two commands, returning the exit status of the first
- parallel: run multiple jobs at once
- pee: tee standard input to pipes
- sponge: soak up standard input and write to a file
- ts: timestamp standard input
- vidir: edit a directory in your text editor
- vipe: insert a text editor into a pipe
- zrun: automatically uncompress arguments to command

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: moreutils v0.67-1
@ 2022-02-18 13:14 ` Mike O'Brien
From: Mike O'Brien @ 2022-02-18 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/18/2022 7:32 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> - README: Formalize that I am not adding new tools to moreutils, and
> have not for a long while. This package needs someone new to take over
> editorial responsibility.
> There are lots more listed below, and I'm always interested to add
> more to the collection, as long as they're suitably general-purpose,
> and don't duplicate other well-known tools.
> --
As H. Poirot might say—"[...] confuses the little grey cells, n'est-ce pas?"

All kidding aside, thank you, Adam, for your immense contributions to
the success of Cygwin.

Mike
> Mater mea, et are Hibernica Pater...et Ego Hibernica quoque!

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: moreutils v0.67-1
@ 2022-02-18 18:27 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-02-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 at 12:34, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

> Version 0.67-1 of moreutils has been uploaded, and should be coming
> soon to a mirror to a mirror near you.
>
> This is an update to the latest upstream release; it includes the
> following changes:
>
> - README: Formalize that I am not adding new tools to moreutils, and
> have not for a long while. This package needs someone new to take over
> editorial responsibility.

This release note has caused some confusion. This is simply a quote
from the upstream release notes; the "I" in this context is Joey Hess,
the long-time owner and maintainer of the upstream project. On the
off-chance this comes up again, I'll try to be clearer that I'm just
quoting someone else's release notes rather than providing any
personal commentary. (And also remember to double-check the later
boilerplate for other quotes that need updating, for anyone who
spotted the later contradiction...)

Several people have emailed me off-list about this. Per
https://cygwin.com/problems.html, please don't do this. If you want to
talk about moreutils (or anything else) on Cygwin, you should be
emailing the Cygwin mailing lists. If you want to offer to take over
responsibility for the overall moreutils project, you should be
contacting the upstream maintainers directly.