* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-11-29  9:23 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2013-11-29  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new version of lftp, 4.4.11-1, is available in the Cygwin distribution.
The is the first release of lftp for x86_64.

lftp is a sophisticated file transfer program and ftp/http/bittorrent
client.  It supports multiple network protocols.  It uses the readline
library for input, so it offers tab completion and command history.  It has
job control and bookmarks.  It can mirror sites and transfer multiple files
in parallel. It keeps trying interrupted operations until it can complete
them.

Andrew E. Schulman

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com_at_cygwin.com

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-03 10:34 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-03 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
> A new version of lftp, 4.4.11-1, is available in the Cygwin distribution.
> The is the first release of lftp for x86_64.

This version seems to have serious problems with the mirror command.
Instead of transferring just the changed files, it seems to always want to
transfer _everything_.  I haven't yet looked into why this might happen, at
the moment I've reverted to the previous version.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-04 11:05   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> This version seems to have serious problems with the mirror command.
> Instead of transferring just the changed files, it seems to always want to
> transfer _everything_.  I haven't yet looked into why this might happen, at
> the moment I've reverted to the previous version.

The last version to work correctly is 4.4.9, I don't see anything obvious in
the ChangeLog that would explain why this happens.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-06  1:15     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2013-12-06  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> > This version seems to have serious problems with the mirror command.
> > Instead of transferring just the changed files, it seems to always want to
> > transfer _everything_.  I haven't yet looked into why this might happen, at
> > the moment I've reverted to the previous version.
>
> The last version to work correctly is 4.4.9, I don't see anything obvious in
> the ChangeLog that would explain why this happens.

OK.  Meanwhile version 4.4.13 is out.  Have you tried it to see if the
problem is fixed there?  If not, I could put it out in test for you to try.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-06 11:26       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
> OK.  Meanwhile version 4.4.13 is out.  Have you tried it to see if the
> problem is fixed there?  If not, I could put it out in test for you to try.

Yes, I've tried all versions between and including 4.4.8 and 4.4.13 (I was
hoping that it was fixed already).  The last one to work is 4.4.9, but I
haven't found any time to investigate further (and probably won't have for
another few days).  Since that failure is so glaringly obvious and no other
reports in that direction have been made on the lftp mailing list, I'd
venture the guess that it either somehow only happens on Cygwin or has
something to do with the fact that I need to pull the files through a proxy
server.  It would be helpful to know if you can reproduce (just repeating a
mirror operation on a freshly mirrored directory for instance) to narrow
down the possibilities.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-06 15:47         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-12-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/6/2013 6:26 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> venture the guess that it either somehow only happens on Cygwin or has
> something to do with the fact that I need to pull the files through a proxy
> server.  It would be helpful to know if you can reproduce (just repeating a
> mirror operation on a freshly mirrored directory for instance) to narrow
> down the possibilities.

It works fine for me.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-06 20:06           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> On 12/6/2013 6:26 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> venture the guess that it either somehow only happens on Cygwin or has
>> something to do with the fact that I need to pull the files through a proxy
>> server.  It would be helpful to know if you can reproduce (just repeating a
>> mirror operation on a freshly mirrored directory for instance) to narrow
>> down the possibilities.
>
> It works fine for me.

I can re-produce it on my home computer, so no proxy involved.  Here's a
pared down version of what I'm doing:

set xfer:clobber
set http:cache off
set mirror:parallel-directories on
mirror -e --parallel=10 -c --delete-first --depth-first --use-cache \
  --script=cygwin.lftp \
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/ \
  /mnt/mirror/cygwin \
&

The real mirror script sanitizes the cygwin.lftp script and the sources
it for the actual mirroring.  The problem is that from version 4.4.10 on
the cygwin.lftp will include _all_ files encountered by mirror, not just
the newer and missing ones.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2013-12-08 17:48             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-08 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz writes:
> The real mirror script sanitizes the cygwin.lftp script and the sources
> it for the actual mirroring.  The problem is that from version 4.4.10 on
> the cygwin.lftp will include _all_ files encountered by mirror, not just
> the newer and missing ones.

I've spent some time with this over the weekend.  The conditions to
re-produce the bug are slightly more involved, you need to mirror from
more than one server to trigger the bug (as the original script does).

set xfer:clobber
set http:cache off
set mirror:parallel-directories on
mirror -e --parallel=10 -c --delete-first --depth-first --use-cache \
  --script=cygport.lftp \
  http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/sources.redhat.com/cygwinports/x86/release/perl-Socket/ \
  /home/cygwin/mirrortest/ &
mirror -e --parallel=10 -c --delete-first --depth-first --use-cache \
  --script=cygwin.lftp \
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86/release/ucl/ \
  /home/cygwin/mirrortest/ &
wait all

After a few false starts (due to an unrelated bug fixed in 147f4b1de6
that hides the target bug) I've bisected it down to f2f2bb91e4, which is
unfortunately too large a change for me to make out what happens.  I
can't reproduce this on Linux.

The lftp mailing list is seemingly down, so I've sent the bug report
directly to the maintainer in the hope for a fix.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2014-01-05  8:23               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-01-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz writes:
> The lftp mailing list is seemingly down, so I've sent the bug report
> directly to the maintainer in the hope for a fix.

This bug has been fixed in release 4.4.14 of lftp.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2014-01-05 21:28                 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-01-05 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Achim Gratz writes:
> > The lftp mailing list is seemingly down, so I've sent the bug report
> > directly to the maintainer in the hope for a fix.
>
> This bug has been fixed in release 4.4.14 of lftp.

Good.  I'll get a new release out.
Andrew

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated, new for 64-bit: lftp 4.4.11-1
@ 2014-01-08 13:56                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-01-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
> Good.  I'll get a new release out.

The new package is good, albeit I haven't seen the announcement yet.  Thank you.

Regards,
Achim.