* Question on statically linking with cygwin
@ 2023-09-19 15:24 Johannes Thoma
From: Johannes Thoma @ 2023-09-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

As I understood the reason for not being able to statically link
the cygwin1.dll in to a binary and distribute that is because of
licensing issues. Are there any technical issues that would make
it impossible to link with cygwin statically?

The reason I am asking is I am working on a GPL project
(WinDRBD: https://github.com/LINBIT/windrbd) and am currently
delivering the cygwin1.dll along with the binary. It would be
desireable to have the cygwin1.dll statically linked (for example
to avoid version clashes) instead. Is that technically possible?
If necessary I am ready to compile cygwin (at least the needed
files) on my own.

Thanks for any insights on that topic,

  Best regards,

- Johannes