* Virus Total scan
@ 2023-08-22 14:12 Dom Woods - BGS
From: Dom Woods - BGS @ 2023-08-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Cygwin,

I scanned your application through Virus Total as per our company policy and noticed that the installation process calls out to a suspicious Microsoft IP 13.107.4.50, this ip has been flagged by 8 vendors as malicious, I get varying responses for what it is used for (an os updater or a file distributer) and wanted to ask what does Cygwin use it for? I can't seem to contact it with nslookup or ping it and Virus Total says that it gives a 'status 400' results so it might not be in use anymore anyway but just wanted to check.

Here is your Virus Total graph results: https://www.virustotal.com/graph/6bad4555154b3b348d1bfb633a2e9d6086aa46e36952f456a434ecef5b0010e0
Here is the scan of the IP address' results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/3397a00da1c5aa448611892c12d38fee37fcd60321720a6e242cb0167e381901/detection

Kind regards,
Dom woods

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.

* Re: Virus Total scan
@ 2023-08-22 14:59 ` Thomas Schweikle
From: Thomas Schweikle @ 2023-08-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3152 bytes --]

It is the address of one of the distribution servers. Since this is not
"one server", but a cluster of servers, your "suspicious" server shows
only one thing: those "suspicious" flags are suspicious by themselves:

this particular server ist down since some time and only reports back a
broken html page telling "<h2>Our services aren't available right
now</h2><p>We're working to restore all services as soon as possible.
Please check back
soon.</p>06cvkZAAAAAA8FvmXFYIOTZ2TS15AJl0/RFVTMzBFREdFMDkxNwBFZGdl"

If this is enough to get flagged as "suspicious" ...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
*i. A. Thomas Schweikle*

—
Bundesamt für Strahlenschutz | Federal Office for Radiation Protection
Informationstechnik | Information Technology | DO 3
Ingolstädter Landstrasse 1
85764 Oberschleißheim

Tel.: +49 30 18333-2594
E-Mail: tschweikle@bfs.de <mailto:tschweikle@bfs.de>

Wenn möglich signieren und verschlüsseln Sie ihre Mail mit
GnuPG oder einem äquivalenten Produkt. Der öffentliche
Schlüssel für die Verschlüsselung ist angehängt (*.asc-Datei).

—
🌐 Besuchen <https://www.bfs.de/> Sie unsere Website und abonnieren
<https://www.bfs.de/strahlenschutzaktuell> Sie unseren 📢 Newsletter
<https://www.bfs.de/strahlenschutzaktuell>.
🔒 Informationen zum Datenschutz <https://www.bfs.de/datenschutz> gemäß
Artikel 13 DSGVO
💚 E-Mail drucken? Lieber die Umwelt schonen!

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Virus Total scan
@ 2023-08-22 17:28   ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2023-08-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 9:00 AM Thomas Schweikle wrote:

It is the address of one of the distribution servers. Since this is not
> "one server", but a cluster of servers, your "suspicious" server shows
> only one thing: those "suspicious" flags are suspicious by themselves:
>
> this particular server ist down since some time and only reports back a
> broken html page telling "<h2>Our services aren't available right
> now</h2><p>We're working to restore all services as soon as possible.
> Please check back
> soon.</p>06cvkZAAAAAA8FvmXFYIOTZ2TS15AJl0/RFVTMzBFREdFMDkxNwBFZGdl"
>
> If this is enough to get flagged as "suspicious" ...

Unfortunately yes, nowadays.

I have run into this same problem also because I wrote an installer for an
open source tool. Said tool makes outgoing TCP connections to servers
configured as relays. One of the IP addresses used by one of these relays
was (or is) shared with a "dangerous" service. As a result I had to disable
the relay feature in the installer as a default to (hopefully) reduce the
number false positives.

Bill

* Re: Virus Total scan
@ 2023-08-22 21:54 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-08-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Dom Woods - BGS

On 2023-08-22 08:12, Dom Woods - BGS via Cygwin wrote:
> I scanned your application through Virus Total as per our company policy and
noticed that the installation process calls out to a suspicious Microsoft IP
13.107.4.50, this ip has been flagged by 8 vendors as malicious, I get varying
wanted to ask what does Cygwin use it for? I can't seem to contact it with
nslookup or ping it and Virus Total says that it gives a 'status 400' results so
it might not be in use anymore anyway but just wanted to check.

> Here is your Virus Total graph results: https://www.virustotal.com/graph/6bad4555154b3b348d1bfb633a2e9d6086aa46e36952f456a434ecef5b0010e0
> Here is the scan of the IP address' results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/3397a00da1c5aa448611892c12d38fee37fcd60321720a6e242cb0167e381901/detection

Can not see VT graph without registering - please attach if relevant.

Which Cygwin application did you scan, and how did you scan it?
Cygwin has thousands of packages with many executables in each, plus thousands
of libraries which may have many DLLs, all developed or packaged by volunteers.

Did you get the application from the cygwin.com site, or install it using the
installer downloaded from the site home page URL, accessing an official Cygwin
mirror?
Any other process is entirely at your own risk and may contain malware!

It is extremely unlikely any Cygwin package attampted to access any MS address
or resources, as the newlib libc is BSD or compatible licensed, and Cygwin is
GPL or compatible licensed, so packages have to be limited in what they are
allowed to do on networks during install.

Your company may have filters intercepting library and system DLLs, and much
else on the internet, and may proxy cache downloads, which could interfere with
anything else you do.
It would be advisable to ask your network security folks about such anomalous
results.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry