* setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-13 19:30 Philip Goetz
From: Philip Goetz @ 2021-07-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just re-installed Windows 10 Home on my desktop, and am trying to
re-install Cygwin.
I was able to do the initial default install, but now I'm trying to
use setup-x86_64.exe to add all the non-default packages that I want.
I can reliably go through the parameter selection and get to the point
where I can choose which packages to install.
I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
through the category tree selecting packages.
But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
will terminate.
There's no error message or pop-up; the window vanishes and the
process no longer shows up in Task Manager.
So I can only install around 10 packages each time I run setup.
This has happened about a dozen times now, and I'm giving up on Cygwin for now.
I can't use setup from the command-line because I don't have a list of
all the packages available.

I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
links to older versions on cygwin.com.

- Phil

* 回复: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-14  6:56 ` ® Fxzx mic
From: ® Fxzx mic @ 2021-07-14  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Goetz, cygwin

I have the same problem. I agree with you.

---
From:
Fxzx mic
fxzxmic@outlook.com<mailto:fxzxmic@outlook.com>
---

[...]

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-14 13:09 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-07-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/07/2021 20:30, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
> I just re-installed Windows 10 Home on my desktop, and am trying to
> re-install Cygwin.
> I was able to do the initial default install, but now I'm trying to
> use setup-x86_64.exe to add all the non-default packages that I want.
> I can reliably go through the parameter selection and get to the point
> where I can choose which packages to install.
> I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
> through the category tree selecting packages.
> But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
> scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
> will terminate.

Thanks for reporting this problem, and the reproduction steps.

I've had a few reports of similar behaviour, but I haven't so far been
able to reproduce the problem or identify what needs to get fixed.

> There's no error message or pop-up; the window vanishes and the
> process no longer shows up in Task Manager.
> So I can only install around 10 packages each time I run setup.
> This has happened about a dozen times now, and I'm giving up on Cygwin for now.
> I can't use setup from the command-line because I don't have a list of
> all the packages available.
>
> I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
> links to older versions on cygwin.com.

You can find older version of setup at https://cygwin.com/setup/

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-14 18:57   ` Philip Goetz
From: Philip Goetz @ 2021-07-14 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 9:10 AM Jon Turney wrote:

> On 13/07/2021 20:30, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
> > I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
> > through the category tree selecting packages.
> > But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
> > scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
> > will terminate.

> > I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
> > links to older versions on cygwin.com.
>
> You can find older version of setup at https://cygwin.com/setup/

Thank you!  I tried setup-2.905.x86_64.exe and setup-2.907.x86_64.exe,
and neither gave me any problems!

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-14 20:06     ` Philip Goetz
From: Philip Goetz @ 2021-07-14 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Philip Goetz <philgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 9:10 AM Jon Turney wrote:
> >
> > On 13/07/2021 20:30, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
> > > I change display mode from Pending to Category, and start clicking
> > > through the category tree selecting packages.
> > > But every time I click on something in the cygwin setup window, or
> > > scroll the window, there's maybe 1 chance in 10 that setup-x86_64.exe
> > > will terminate.

> > > I'd like to try using an older Cygwin installer, but I didn't find
> > > links to older versions on cygwin.com.
> >
> > You can find older version of setup at https://cygwin.com/setup/
>
> Thank you!  I tried setup-2.905.x86_64.exe and setup-2.907.x86_64.exe,
> and neither gave me any problems!

I spoke too soon. I just ran setup-2.907.x86_64.exe again, to install
some more programs, and it did the same thing.
But I spent a long time in 2.905 without it crashing.

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-07-15 13:40       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-07-15 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/07/2021 21:06, Philip Goetz via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Philip Goetz <philgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You can find older version of setup at https://cygwin.com/setup/
>>
>> Thank you!  I tried setup-2.905.x86_64.exe and setup-2.907.x86_64.exe,
>> and neither gave me any problems!
>
> I spoke too soon. I just ran setup-2.907.x86_64.exe again, to install
> some more programs, and it did the same thing.
> But I spent a long time in 2.905 without it crashing.

Thanks to the reproduction steps, I was able to (finally) develop some
useful information about this crash, and that is consistent with where I
think the problem was introduced.

I've built setup 2.909 with a putative fix for this.

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

Thanks.

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe crashes randomly on user interaction, too often to use
@ 2021-08-01 14:55         ` Philip Goetz
From: Philip Goetz @ 2021-08-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi; sorry for the delay. I used setup 2.909 today to install maybe 100
libraries, and it gave me no problems.  Thanks!