* Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-01  2:42 P RC
From: P RC @ 2017-11-01  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312", Size: 515 bytes --]

Hi All,

Is it possible to the current cygwin window's icon from command line? I used to ssh to multiple servers from cygwin tabs within ConEmu. Changing icon will be greatly helpful to make sure which machine I am on at the first grance at the tabs.

BR, Ruochen

Nov 1,2017
\x03B‹KCB”\x1c›Ø›\x19[H\x1c™\^[ܝ\x1cΈ\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÜ\x1c›Ø›\x19[\Ëš\x1d^[[\x03B‘TNˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘^[ØÝ[Y[\x18]\x1a[ÛŽˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ^[ØÜËš\x1d^[[\x03B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H\x1a[™›Îˆ\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[\vÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\^[\x19CBƒB

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-01  6:08 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-11-01  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-10-31 20:41, P RC wrote:
> Is it possible to change the current Cygwin window's icon from command line?
> I used to ssh to multiple servers from cygwin tabs within ConEmu.
> Changing icon will be greatly helpful to make sure which machine I am on at
> the first glance at the tabs.
As far as I know, you can only specify an icon before startup in a Windows
shortcut, or on a mintty command line.
A window icon may be changeable after a window is created some Windows utility
which provides that specific function.
If you are using mintty windows, you can run each with different options for
-i, --icon FILE[,INDEX], and you may also want to customize -p, --position X,Y;
these can also be specified using additional config files and config directories.

You can create Windows shortcuts with custom icons for mintty, ssh, or any other
console program using Cygwin mkshortcut options -i, --icon=FILE and -j,
--iconoffset=INDEX.
With mintty, Windows shortcut icons are used for the window icon, unless
overriden by config commands or command line options.

You can however, change mintty, or any xterm, window *title*, using well known
escape sequences from the target system, including from prompt strings.
You can also change any Windows cmd console window title using the internal
command title.

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-01 20:59   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-01 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 01.11.2017 um 07:08 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2017-10-31 20:41, P RC wrote:
>> Is it possible to change the current Cygwin window's icon from command line?
>> I used to ssh to multiple servers from cygwin tabs within ConEmu.
>> Changing icon will be greatly helpful to make sure which machine I am on at
>> the first glance at the tabs.
> As far as I know, you can only specify an icon before startup in a Windows
> shortcut, or on a mintty command line.
> A window icon may be changeable after a window is created some Windows utility
> which provides that specific function.
I usually indicate remote login by changing background colour.
However, changing also the icon on-the-fly for this purpose is an
interesting use case.
I'm considering whether to add such a feature. Note, however, that it's
not likely to work if mintty is embedded in ConEmu.
Also, there is a design issue to solve: As absolute pathnames may not be
too useful when addressed remotely, maybe another resource class should
be added (in addition to themes, sounds, lang/localization). What do
others think?
Thomas

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-01 21:06   ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2017-11-01 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis; +Cc: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: message body text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 89 bytes --]

A trivial little shell script I use for setting xterm title/icon via
escape sequences:

[-- Attachment #2: xtlabel --]

[-- Attachment #3: .signature --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 238 bytes --]

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@TheWorld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-01 21:10     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-01 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 01.11.2017 um 22:05 schrieb bzs@theworld.com:
> A trivial little shell script I use for setting xterm title/icon via escape sequences:
That sequence is setting the icon *label*, not the icon. Mintty cannot
support it because there is no corresponding Windows function.
Thomas

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-02  2:39       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-11-02  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-11-01 15:10, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 01.11.2017 um 22:05 schrieb bzs@theworld.com:
>> A trivial little shell script I use for setting xterm title/icon via escape
>> sequences:
> That sequence is setting the icon *label*, not the icon. Mintty cannot support
> it because there is no corresponding Windows function.

But there is a sequence of Windows functions from:

	http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/28470/

summarizing (but this is from 2010 so may need tweaks):

"There are two icons in the window, 32x32 and 16x16.
If you want to change the the icon at the task bar and title bar you should do:

	hIcon = (HICON)LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 32, 32,
LR_LOADFROMFILE);
	hIconSm = (HICON)LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 16, 16,
LR_LOADFROMFILE);

LoadImage just loads the icon from the file. You need to assign the icon to the
window. You do this by sending a WM_SETICON message:

	SendMessage( yourwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)hIconSm );
	SendMessage( yourwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, (LPARAM)hIcon );

Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632643(VS.85).aspx

I found out the difference with the ICON_SMALL and ICON_BIG, if you only set
ICON_SMALL then the Alt-Tab icon is stretched and looks bad.
If you set the ICON_BIG as well as ICON_SMALL, then everything looks nice."

For Xwindow icons, some approaches from google, depending on needs:

http://www.ideatrash.net/2014/10/howto-get-custom-icons-with-each-new.html
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/terminal_icon.htm
http://blog.samadamday.com/2014/automatically-set-windows-icons-based-on-gnome-theme/
https://superuser.com/questions/344320/how-do-i-change-the-icon-of-an-xterm
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/code/xseticon/

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-02  6:47         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-02  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 02.11.2017 um 03:39 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2017-11-01 15:10, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 01.11.2017 um 22:05 schrieb bzs@theworld.com:
>>> A trivial little shell script I use for setting xterm title/icon via escape
>>> sequences:
>> That sequence is setting the icon *label*, not the icon. Mintty cannot support
>> it because there is no corresponding Windows function.
> But there is a sequence of Windows functions from:
>
> 	http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/28470/
>
> summarizing (but this is from 2010 so may need tweaks):
>
> "There are two icons in the window, 32x32 and 16x16.
> If you want to change the the icon at the task bar and title bar you should do:
>
> 	hIcon = (HICON)LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 32, 32,
> LR_LOADFROMFILE);
> 	hIconSm = (HICON)LoadImage(NULL, "menu_two.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 16, 16,
> LR_LOADFROMFILE);
>
> LoadImage just loads the icon from the file. You need to assign the icon to the
> window. You do this by sending a WM_SETICON message:
>
> 	SendMessage( yourwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)hIconSm );
> 	SendMessage( yourwnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, (LPARAM)hIcon );
>
> Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632643(VS.85).aspx
>
> I found out the difference with the ICON_SMALL and ICON_BIG, if you only set
> ICON_SMALL then the Alt-Tab icon is stretched and looks bad.
> If you set the ICON_BIG as well as ICON_SMALL, then everything looks nice."
>
> For Xwindow icons, some approaches from google, depending on needs:
>
> http://www.ideatrash.net/2014/10/howto-get-custom-icons-with-each-new.html
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/terminal_icon.htm
> http://blog.samadamday.com/2014/automatically-set-windows-icons-based-on-gnome-theme/
> https://superuser.com/questions/344320/how-do-i-change-the-icon-of-an-xterm
> http://www.leonerd.org.uk/code/xseticon/
Thanks, Brian, for the links and the sample code which will make it easier.
This is about changing the icon, to get that sorted out.
I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.
Thomas

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-02 10:20           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-11-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
> xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
> Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.

Two thoughts on this:

1. The taskbar button title is not necessarily the same as [visible]
application window title.
One of the cleanest solutions is to create a frameless main window and embed
your actual application window inside it. Downside is that the visible
application window titlebar may not look right.
Another solution is to create two windows, one only shown in taskbar, one is
an actual app window, and repost all messages from taskbar to the application
window. Downside is that not all shell features may work properly, such as
minimize-restore on repeated clicks.
In support of this feature, I can say that I have restricted space for taskbar
labels myself (approx 10 symbols) and have to be creative with window titles
from various sources to clearly identify the windows.
That including dances with /etc/debian_chroot and manual PROMPT_COMMAND settings.

2. Since there's no direct solution for setting window icon, an existing
sequence could be reused for our purpose, since there's no clean way to make
it work straight. Or a new sequence could be invented.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-02 13:38           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-11-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2017 2:47 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Thanks, Brian, for the links and the sample code which will make it easier.
> This is about changing the icon, to get that sorted out.
> I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
> xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
> Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.

RXVT managed to change the title based on the xterm escape sequences.
I've used that idea for various server connections in the past with RXVT.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-02 19:53             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-02 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Andrey,
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
>
>> I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
>> xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
>> Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.
> Two thoughts on this:
>
> 1. The taskbar button title is not necessarily the same as [visible]
> application window title.
> One of the cleanest solutions is to create a frameless main window and embed
> your actual application window inside it. Downside is that the visible
> application window titlebar may not look right.
> Another solution is to create two windows, one only shown in taskbar, one is
> an actual app window, and repost all messages from taskbar to the application
> window. Downside is that not all shell features may work properly, such as
> minimize-restore on repeated clicks.
> In support of this feature, I can say that I have restricted space for taskbar
> labels myself (approx 10 symbols) and have to be creative with window titles
> from various sources to clearly identify the windows.
> That including dances with /etc/debian_chroot and manual PROMPT_COMMAND settings.
Yeah, I can imagine that some *very* tricky solution with hidden windows
is possible,
but I'm sure at the price of lots of nerves and extensible testing.
I don't think it's worth the effort, especially as many people use icons
only on the taskbar, not the labels.
But feel free to propose a patch :)

@ 2017-11-02 19:55             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-02 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 02.11.2017 um 14:38 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 11/2/2017 2:47 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Thanks, Brian, for the links and the sample code which will make it easier.
>> This is about changing the icon, to get that sorted out.
>> I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
>> xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
>> Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.
> RXVT managed to change the title based on the xterm escape sequences.
> I've used that idea for various server connections in the past with RXVT.
Rxvt does not support more than mintty. We are not talking about window
frame labels (window title)
but the labels that appear next to the icons in the Windows taskbar, or
(if configured away) popup up floating there.

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-03 15:34               ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-11-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2017 3:55 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 02.11.2017 um 14:38 schrieb cyg Simple:
>> On 11/2/2017 2:47 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> Thanks, Brian, for the links and the sample code which will make it
>>> easier.
>>> This is about changing the icon, to get that sorted out.
>>> I referred to changing the icon label (an existing sequence supported by
>>> xterm), i.e. the text shown in the taskbar, which cannot be changed in
>>> Windows as far as I know as it's always the same as the window title.
>> RXVT managed to change the title based on the xterm escape sequences.
>> I've used that idea for various server connections in the past with RXVT.
> Rxvt does not support more than mintty.

I wasn't trying to say that it did.

> We are not talking about window frame labels (window title)
> but the labels that appear next to the icons in the Windows taskbar, or
> (if configured away) popup up floating there.

I have 3 chrome icons with different profile icons overlayed onto the
primary icon in the bottom right pinned to my taskbar so that is doable.
 The frame labels help when you hover over the taskbar icon with
multiple windows so you can pick which to bring to the front.  It sounds
though as if what is wanted is more the distinguished profile similar to
chrome.  I can achieve that effect with differing installs (different
paths) of Cygwin so it must be doable with one install and multiple
profiles.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-03 19:23                 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-03 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 03.11.2017 um 16:34 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 11/2/2017 3:55 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> RXVT managed to change the title based on the xterm escape sequences.
>>> I've used that idea for various server connections in the past with RXVT.
>> Rxvt does not support more than mintty.
> I wasn't trying to say that it did.
>
>> We are not talking about window frame labels (window title)
>> but the labels that appear next to the icons in the Windows taskbar, or
>> (if configured away) popup up floating there.
>>
> I have 3 chrome icons with different profile icons overlayed onto the
> primary icon in the bottom right pinned to my taskbar so that is doable.
>   The frame labels help when you hover over the taskbar icon with
> multiple windows so you can pick which to bring to the front.  It sounds
> though as if what is wanted is more the distinguished profile similar to
> chrome.  I can achieve that effect with differing installs (different
> paths) of Cygwin so it must be doable with one install and multiple
> profiles.
Trying to guess what you refer to there still seems to be
misunderstanding. The issue was to have a dedicated text label
associated to the taskbar icon which is different from the window frame
title of the same window. There are two distinct xterm sequence to set
these within an X server but this is not supported by Windows.

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-03 20:03                   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-11-03 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/3/2017 3:23 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 03.11.2017 um 16:34 schrieb cyg Simple:
>>> Rxvt does not support more than mintty.
>> I wasn't trying to say that it did.
>>
>>> We are not talking about window frame labels (window title)
>>> but the labels that appear next to the icons in the Windows taskbar, or
>>> (if configured away) popup up floating there.
>>>
>> I have 3 chrome icons with different profile icons overlayed onto the
>> primary icon in the bottom right pinned to my taskbar so that is doable.
>>   The frame labels help when you hover over the taskbar icon with
>> multiple windows so you can pick which to bring to the front.  It sounds
>> though as if what is wanted is more the distinguished profile similar to
>> chrome.  I can achieve that effect with differing installs (different
>> paths) of Cygwin so it must be doable with one install and multiple
>> profiles.
> Trying to guess what you refer to there still seems to be
> misunderstanding. The issue was to have a dedicated text label
> associated to the taskbar icon which is different from the window frame
> title of the same window. There are two distinct xterm sequence to set
> these within an X server but this is not supported by Windows.

Oh, my confusion here is that I always hide labels. I have so many
pinned gets rid of the confusion.  But chrome manages to change the text
of the icon based on the profile.

With chrome I can "Manage People" and add more than one profile.  I can
then pin each profile to the taskbar. Each profile contains a different
set of saved passwords, bookmarks and other data.  There is only one
executable with different text for each icon on the task bar.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Can I change the windows icon from command line?
@ 2017-11-03 21:29                     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 03.11.2017 um 21:03 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 11/3/2017 3:23 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> I wasn't trying to say that it did.

>>> I have 3 chrome icons with different profile icons overlayed onto the
>>> primary icon in the bottom right pinned to my taskbar so that is doable.
>>>    The frame labels help when you hover over the taskbar icon with
>>> multiple windows so you can pick which to bring to the front.  It sounds
>>> though as if what is wanted is more the distinguished profile similar to
>>> chrome.  I can achieve that effect with differing installs (different
>>> paths) of Cygwin so it must be doable with one install and multiple
>>> profiles.
>> Trying to guess what you refer to there still seems to be
>> misunderstanding. The issue was to have a dedicated text label
>> associated to the taskbar icon which is different from the window frame
>> title of the same window. There are two distinct xterm sequence to set
>> these within an X server but this is not supported by Windows.
> Oh, my confusion here is that I always hide labels. I have so many
> pinned gets rid of the confusion.  But chrome manages to change the text
> of the icon based on the profile.
>
> With chrome I can "Manage People" and add more than one profile.  I can
> then pin each profile to the taskbar. Each profile contains a different
> set of saved passwords, bookmarks and other data.  There is only one
> executable with different text for each icon on the task bar.
Chrome self-draws its window frame and does not display a window title
at all. It's easy then to reuse the window title as an icon-only title.