* sshd and PuTTY and Windows firewall
@ 2017-01-07 19:06 mike
From: mike @ 2017-01-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

First I'm using the Windows firewall in Windows 7 on a laptop and it is
switched on.

I'm not sure whether this is a Cygwin question or not but I don't know
where else to ask and it's driving me nuts.  If I use the PuTTY app to
connect to 192.168.1.100 it connects (where 192.168.1.100 is the local
address behind and through my router). (Using Cygwin ssh 192.168.1.100
fails because of host key problems but that's a different issue.)  So
surely (he says) if I can use PuTTY to connect to the Cygwin sshd server
at 192.168.1.100 then the connection is routed through my router and is
not local to the machine as in loopback with ssh localhost in that
sense.  However if I open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
dialogue I cannot find any Windows firewall inbond rules that allow
Cygwin SSH through (or anything similar).  The domain, private and
public profiles all say "Inbound connections that do not match a rule
are blocked".  Therefore the inbound connection through my router should
be blocked.

I'm worried that I might have a security hole somewhere.  I don't want
sshd open to the world just local to other machines on my local network
(behind the router).  This is a concern because since the machine is a
laptop I might connect to the net with wifi in a coffee shop for example.

Can someone give me a clue as to what's going on please?  What am I
looking for?  i'm sure I must just be missing the obvious.

Thanks very much in advance

Mike

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-01-07 19:06 UTC | newest]