* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.898)
@ 2019-12-28 18:34 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2019-12-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new version of Setup (2.898) has been uploaded to:

   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.897:

- '--upgrade-also' will now also upgrade an obsolete package specified
on command line

(e.g.: setup -q -g -P python3-lxml currently gets you an (empty,
obsolete) python3-lxml package, which is replaced by python36-lxml
(which obsoletes it) the next time setup is run.  After this change,
python36-lxml is installed instead)

(See also the discussion at
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-10/msg00092.html et seq. (where I
come to the (incorrect) conclusion that since we don't need this for
interactive use, it's not needed)

- Remove the 'Bin?' column

The only use this column now has is that unticking it is the same as
selecting the 'uninstall' action.

- Packages can now depend with a version relation on the pseudo-package
'_windows' (which has the same version as the Windows we are running on)

(This is intended for use with the cygwin package, to prevent updates
being installed on Windows versions which it has dropped support for)

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.898)
@ 2020-01-01 13:24 ` Bryan Berns
From: Bryan Berns @ 2020-01-01 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:40 AM Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> A new version of Setup (2.898) has been uploaded to:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)

Something definitely busted in this version for me.  I've been using
the same command line to download an offline, partial mirror for more
than 5 years:

setup-x86_64.exe --disable-buggy-antivirus --download --no-desktop
--root "%CD%\Temp" --quiet-mode --categories All --remove-categories
Debug --local-package-dir "%CD%" --site "%MIRROR%"

On a clean directory structure, this now stops executing without
downloading anything:

Starting cygwin install, version 2.898
User has backup/restore rights
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/setup.rc) failed 2 No such file or directory
Current Directory: V:\Installers\Cygwin\x64
Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may
not be installed, or we don't have access.
Selected local directory: V:\Installers\Cygwin\x64
net: Preconfig
site: http://mirrors.koehn.com/cygwin/cygwin-ftp/
HTTP status 404 fetching
http://mirrors.koehn.com/cygwin/cygwin-ftp/x86_64/setup.zst.sig
HTTP status 404 fetching
http://mirrors.koehn.com/cygwin/cygwin-ftp/x86_64/setup.zst
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/timestamp) failed 2 No such file
or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/installed.db) failed 2 No such
file or directory
solving: 11308 tasks, update: no, use test packages: no

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.898)
@ 2020-01-01 16:22   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-01-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/01/2020 13:27, Bryan Berns wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:40 AM Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>> A new version of Setup (2.898) has been uploaded to:
>>
>>     https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
>>     https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>
> Something definitely busted in this version for me.  I've been using
> the same command line to download an offline, partial mirror for more
> than 5 years:
>
> setup-x86_64.exe --disable-buggy-antivirus --download --no-desktop
> --root "%CD%\Temp" --quiet-mode --categories All --remove-categories
> Debug --local-package-dir "%CD%" --site "%MIRROR%"
>
> On a clean directory structure, this now stops executing without
> downloading anything:

Thanks for reporting this problem, and for providing the command line to
reproduce it.

This seems to be a crash which occurs when a package which only has a
test version and no current version is selected via the command line (so
using '--categories All' will hit the few packages which are instances
of this)

I've built setup with a patch which attempts to address this:

      https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86_64.exe
      https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86.exe

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.898)
@ 2020-01-02 11:11     ` Bryan Berns
From: Bryan Berns @ 2020-01-02 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 11:22 AM Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> I've built setup with a patch which attempts to address this:
>
>       https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86_64.exe
>       https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86.exe
>
> Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

Yes, it appears to be working as expected with this new build.  Thanks!

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.898)
@ 2020-01-03 19:11       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-01-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/01/2020 11:14, Bryan Berns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 11:22 AM Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>> I've built setup with a patch which attempts to address this:
>>
>>        https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86_64.exe
>>        https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.899.x86.exe
>>
>> Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?
>
> Yes, it appears to be working as expected with this new build.  Thanks!

Thanks for testing.  Unfortunately, the way I'd fixed this was also
undoing one of the intended changes in 2.898, so I had to something else
to fix this a different way in the just released 2.900.  So you might
want to check that works correctly as well...

> setup-x86_64.exe --disable-buggy-antivirus --download --no-desktop
> --root "%CD%\Temp" --quiet-mode --categories All --remove-categories
> Debug --local-package-dir "%CD%" --site "%MIRROR%"

BTW, you might want to add '--remove-categories _obsolete' to this
command line.